Body building -ish type plans? Anyone out there on one?

Options
Hello MFPeeps. I am on a program which from what I have been able to tell is based on a body building type regime. I have been on it for 3 almost 4 months now and a, starting to see the results. Is there anyone else out there on similar plans with similar goals of getting strong not just eating like a bird and being skinny, but eating well and gaining muscle? I find I don't really have any friends with similar goals/ diets so it's hard to talk about stuff. I have wonderful supportive friends but all on different regimes. I do the bulk/shred thing. Am about to start a bulking phase now. Feel free to look at my diary (it's open) to see my meals/workouts. If you're in a similar boat, I'd be happy to make your acquaintance! :)

Replies

• rollingdeathcradle1992
    Options
    You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Bodybuilders go though phases of bulking and cutting. Basically, bulking gets you bigger and stronger (eat around 500 cal over your tdee). Cutting is when you lose mass (mostly fat). Eat 500 cal under tdee at this point. Remember to keep lifting during your cut, or all that work would have been for nothing!
  • rollingdeathcradle1992
    Options
    Opps, didn't read that you knew about bulk/cut lol. If your goal is clean eating, tuna is excellent. I would buy bottle of whey to help with gains and protein. Honesty, no calories are "bad calories" when you are bulking. don't forget:

Whole milk
    eggs
    Sardines
    oats
    chicken
    Vegetables
    Beans(lentils are really good for you)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm eating 4-5 meals with 150grams protein per day. So all that stuff you've listed is part of my diet. When I get to meal 5 and think "oh geez I can't stomach another piece of meat/3 eggs" I have a whey protein + almond milk shake. I'm fine with the eating (barring the odd piece of cake or whatever, I'm not a complete machine! I try to do 80-20 mainly good but the odd ice-cream or pizza slice sneaks in every once in a while!) thanks for the reply :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    150 grams each meal
  • Parkes1993
    Parkes1993 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get enough food lol ... I'm on around 3400 cals a day spread over 5 meals and 3 lots of shakes ... Yet come around 9:30 hour after my last meal im hungry still lol ..... My plan cutting and now bulking has been drawn up by a bodybuilder so feel free to add me and check my diary ... It is the same everyday apart from Saturday when I have a big cheat meal lol ... Good luck
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    150 grams each meal

150g what?
    You arent even hitting 150g total of protein a day most days so I have no idea what you're trying to point out.

If you're interested in assistance with your eating plan while bulking, check out the gaining weight board
  • Parkes1993
    Options
    Wow sone people are so rude ..... I'm guessing your so perfect at everything and wasn't a beginner at any point !!!!!
  • leesyloo78
    leesyloo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    150 grams each meal

150g what?
    You arent even hitting 150g total of protein a day most days so I have no idea what you're trying to point out.

If you're interested in assistance with your eating plan while bulking, check out the gaining weight board

Obviously an expert of knowing everything.......... can tell by your number of forum posts you know everything.....rude !!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    leesyloo78 wrote: »
    150 grams each meal

150g what?

Obviously an expert of knowing everything.......... can tell by your number of forum posts you know everything.....rude !!!

You need to look up the definition of rude.

I dont see how asking her to clarify '150g per meal' is rude. And pointing out that she isn't hitting 150g of protein a day regularly is either.

150g of protein is a lot for a female. The general guidelines are 1g/lbm and most (not all) females don't have that high of lbm unless they are very overweight or a bodybuilder like on of my friends here.

Call me rude if you want but I'm trying to get clarification to help her whereas the 2 of you provided nothing but calling me rude.
  • leesyloo78
    leesyloo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    150 grams each meal

150g what?

I dont see how asking her to clarify '150g per meal' is rude. And pointing out that she isn't hitting 150g of protein a day regularly is either.

150g of protein is a lot for a female. The general guidelines are 1g/lbm and most (not all) females don't have that high of lbm unless they are very overweight or a bodybuilder like on of my friends here.

Call me rude if you want but I'm trying to get clarification to help her whereas the 2 of you provided nothing but calling me rude.

Maybe you need to re-read the context of what you wrote.....clearly was rude, you offered no suggestion as to 1g/lbm. There's different ways of offering advise your was neither helpful or knowledgeable....sorry but it's how it reads
  • Parkes1993
    Options
    Trying to help her hey ..... Is that where U tried to just point them to the gaining weight part of the forum !!!
    It's the way U said it .... That's the problem with This place ..
    Soon as someone posts about any kinda help , there is always a bunch that think there so better than anyone else ..,,
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Push/Pull/Legs/rest/ then repeat workout. I love it cause i can hit the muscles twice a week and have seen great results. Now that I'm in a cut, I look more muscular and havent really lost muscle mass.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    150 grams each meal

150g what?

Maybe you need to re-read the context of what you wrote.....clearly was rude, you offered no suggestion as to 1g/lbm. There's different ways of offering advise your was neither helpful or knowledgeable....sorry but it's how it reads

She told her to check out the gaining weight forum, therefore, helpful.

OP: I agree that you should venture into the gaining weight section on here, lots of knowledgeable people in there.

How tall are you/how much do you weight/what's your body fat %?

What's your TDEE?

What's your current daily intake and macro breakdown?

What program are you running?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    150 grams each meal

150g what?

The response didn't seem rude to me at all. Being direct and questioning =/= rude. For some reason the people of MFP tend to think questioning is the same as attacking or being rude.

You may have read in to their post, as there was nothing rude there at all.

OP: want to point out that when bulking and building muscle, cabs are king. protein is more important during a cut to maintain muscle, than it is during a bulk to build muscle, provided you are getting adequate amount. (about 1 gram/lb of lbm is more than adequate)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't expecting such heated discussion! I don't think I made myself clear enough. I am on a program wih a PT. She is an ex bikini model competitor. She gives me meal & workout plan every 6 weeks. I just finished one phase and yesterday had my session of measurements etc (so don't know my BF% yet as she has to do the maths after measuring me with the pincers). She told me I would now start a a bulking phase and gain about 2-3kg. I haven't seen my current plan yet- she needs to email it to me. My last phase had me on 1650-1750 cals per day. By 150g of protein I meant that for 4 of the 5 meals I had to weigh out 150g of lean protein such as chicken to eat with veggies/salad. So in one day I would eat 600g of meat stuffs. I currently weigh 66.3k and am 1.68m. I am not worried about the diet she gives me- when I stick to it, it works. She knows what she is doing. What I wanted was people on similar plans/diets/with similar goals to be able to talk to/follow because most of my MFP friends are either very large people trying to lose 50+ kilos or thin young girls with low calorie high cardio regimes. I have only 1 other "pal" who does weights/eats clean/ is trying to be strong (well- she got there already!). I am not low-carb, I am not paleo. But yeah, thanks for the help I will check out what has been suggested.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Parkes1993 wrote: »
    I can't seem to get enough food lol ... I'm on around 3400 cals a day spread over 5 meals and 3 lots of shakes ... Yet come around 9:30 hour after my last meal im hungry still lol ..... My plan cutting and now bulking has been drawn up by a bodybuilder so feel free to add me and check my diary ... It is the same everyday apart from Saturday when I have a big cheat meal lol ... Good luck
    Easy fix........eat after 9:30.

At 19 and 5'7 and 126lbs., I was eating 4000 calories a day to gain weight and build muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So I'm struggling a little 150 grams of protein.

Later I read 150 grams per meal.

is that 150 grams of protein per meal? because that's way to much protein.

If you're trying to bulk you should be eating/focused more on your carbs than your broteins.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah, ok so you're aiming to eat 150g of lean meat per meal... not 150g protein per meal. Correct?

Edit - after reviewing the diary back a few days it looks like you're entering the exercise calories so it's skewing the macro goals for the day.