Got my polar HRM today! Woot!

Options
My polar ft7 arrived today, and I was stoked to take it for a test run. I spent 53 mins on the treadmill, by the machines calculations I burned roughly 430 calories. My HRM said 503 :-) That's a pretty big difference!

If those are true results, I've been short changing myself at meal time for the past few weeks. Gonna have a few more cal to eat back! :-)

Still trying to learn all I can about this device. Any other users have tips/tricks about this device? The user manual is fairly bland :-(

Replies

• juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with it!I love my FT4 dont go anywhere without it!
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I love mine! I've had it for a few weeks. It's a pretty simply device honestly. Just make sure to wash it after every use. I just wish it had an independent timer on it. I always use a timer when I lift to time my rest breaks, so I have to switch watches for lifting, haha. Other than that, it's an awesome little device.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Enjoy!!! Such a great investment!
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I have the same model and I love it! And it typically rates my calorie burn higher than the treadmill at the gym does too.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I got my FT4 on Saturday. I'm crazy about it! No more "guesstimating". Have fun!
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4! The same thing happened to me... the treadmill says I burn less calories than my HRM.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    They have a better manual online --- but make sure you update the settings to fit you. (age, height, weight etc.)

The FT7 doesn't have the VO2 max setting so you don't have to worry about that

I had an FT7 for a couple years... just upgraded to FitBit plus Polar FT60 -- who doesn't love fun gadgets? :)
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My new Polar ft4 just arrived today as well. Dog chewed my last one and I felt lost without it.
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the same model and I love it! And it typically rates my calorie burn higher than the treadmill at the gym does too.

That's nice to hear. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. I really expected it to be lower. Great surprise!
  • mrloserpunk
    Options
    They have a better manual online --- but make sure you update the settings to fit you. (age, height, weight etc.)

The FT7 doesn't have the VO2 max setting so you don't have to worry about that

I had an FT7 for a couple years... just upgraded to FitBit plus Polar FT60 -- who doesn't love fun gadgets? :)

I can't find a Fitbit flex anywhere!! I got mine on back order, and have looked everywhere. Not trying to pay a 50% premium to get it now from eBay...

And I totally love these gadgets! It almost makes the weightloss fun. Almost lol.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT7 for almost a year and I love it. Pretty easy to use. As MissMaryMac says, update your personal settings - also, remember to change the weight when your weight changes so it can stay accurate.

Between my FT7 and my Fitbit One, I feel like I'm a fitness powerhouse!

(BTW, am I the only person whose HRM shows less burned calories than the treadmill/elliptical? I know I'm working really hard, but my HRM says I burn at least 200 calories less than the machines. I'm fine with this - I'd rather it be accurate. Just curious, I guess.)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT7 for almost a year and I love it. Pretty easy to use. As MissMaryMac says, update your personal settings - also, remember to change the weight when your weight changes so it can stay accurate.

Between my FT7 and my Fitbit One, I feel like I'm a fitness powerhouse!

(BTW, am I the only person whose HRM shows less burned calories than the treadmill/elliptical? I know I'm working really hard, but my HRM says I burn at least 200 calories less than the machines. I'm fine with this - I'd rather it be accurate. Just curious, I guess.)

Mine says less too, but I think its because of the machines...they have always seemed WAY off to me (400 cals for 30 mins of walking?!). I recently got a ft7 and love it!
  • mrloserpunk
    Options
    Ooo ya know, thats a good point. I think its like 2lbs higher on the hrm than the scale. I have a bad habit of daily weighing... but I think ill update during my weekly mfp check in. Is it so sensative that I should weigh then update each day?
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Ooo ya know, thats a good point. I think its like 2lbs higher on the hrm than the scale. I have a bad habit of daily weighing... but I think ill update during my weekly mfp check in. Is it so sensative that I should weigh then update each day?
    Just update your weight when there's a definite change. Weekly should be fine, since you don't want to count in water weight.

mkakids, that's what I was thinking, too. The elliptical usually says I burn about 300+ calories in 35 minutes. As much as I wish that were true, I highly doubt it, even though I do work hard.