lowering BF% without losing weight?

Options
I read posts of people claiming to substantially lower bf % (e.g., 5%) w/o losing weight. My understanding is that adding muscle is a very slow process, so that it would take a year or more of disciplined training to add enough muscle to materially effect body fat % without weight loss. Is there a mechanism that I don't understand or are some claims overstated?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You are correct, the claims are overstated. It can be done but as you say it takes time. A young male (high T-Levels) can gain maybe 2 pounds of muscle a month on a high level strength and conditioning program.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Measuring bf % with calipers or impedance isn’t always all that accurate. More than likely, they did lose some fat and replaced it with water. Weight is a terrible health measurement taken alone.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It does take time. never fast. I was 168# and 15.5% in September. I am now down to 164# and 9.75%. If done right it doesn't just fall off. Mine happened with a combination of weight training, cardio, and literally weighing everything I eat. It has not been easy but I feel great and have enjoyed it. I am not a fan of saying someone can lose X amount of BP in X time because of so many variables. besides, it needs to be done healthy. I was 228 lbs and 25% back in March of 2014. It can be done but when it depends on what someone means by"quickly". Usually when someone wants it to happen quickly that also means they don't have the patience to do it right. Just my thoughts on it anyway.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Weight is a terrible health measurement taken alone.
    Now you're beating my drum, AllanMisner! Weight measurement, in and of itself, means little. Really. I saw a Mr. Universe from back in the sixties or seventies, I think. Italian guy. He would have had to stand on tiptoe to reach five foot. If I remember correctly, he stood at 4' 11 1/2". But he weighed something like two hundred eighty pounds. And he could dead lift almost twice his weight. Obviously, he was carrying a LOT of muscle on that 280#.

But, I've also seen people five-six, five-8, 6-2 who weighed less but were definitely out of condition and in poor physical health. And it's not just about the fat:body mass ratio, either. What do they say in boxing? The tale of the tape? Yeh. There's a LOT more to it than just one thing or two. And being healthy involves a lot more than how much fat you've got on your bones or how much you weigh. It's about a full-circle, all-encompassing lifestyle change. Don't fixate on what the scales says. Live Healthy 2 Be Healthy.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Weight is a terrible health measurement taken alone.
    Now you're beating my drum, AllanMisner! Weight measurement, in and of itself, means little. Really. I saw a Mr. Universe from back in the sixties or seventies, I think. Italian guy. He would have had to stand on tiptoe to reach five foot. If I remember correctly, he stood at 4' 11 1/2". But he weighed something like two hundred eighty pounds. And he could dead lift almost twice his weight. Obviously, he was carrying a LOT of muscle on that 280#.

But, I've also seen people five-six, five-8, 6-2 who weighed less but were definitely out of condition and in poor physical health. And it's not just about the fat:body mass ratio, either. What do they say in boxing? The tale of the tape? Yeh. There's a LOT more to it than just one thing or two. And being healthy involves a lot more than how much fat you've got on your bones or how much you weigh. It's about a full-circle, all-encompassing lifestyle change. Don't fixate on what the scales says. Live Healthy 2 Be Healthy.

I completely agree weight, body fat, and measurements. all three of those are essential. just looking at one or two of them will not give the whole picture. In fact, it might be misleading
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It can be done. A year ago I weighed 101lbs with a 26.5 inch waist and around 20% BF. 1 year later still 101lbs, a 24 inch waist and 15% BF. Its taken a whole year and a lot of weight lifting and eating a little over maintenance.