Just signed up for my first Duathlon- any tips/advice?

Options
smte
smte Posts: 95 Member
I just signed up for my first duathlon that is on 7/20 - so, that only gives my 6 weeks to "train" for it (yikes)!! I had a baby almost 6 months ago, and have been a little slow getting back into the exercise thing. I have run 5K's before, but thats about it, this duathlon is completely new to me!

So, my question is for anyone that has participated in a duathlon - do you have any training tips or advice? What about a training schedule? What I have found so far is to ride 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, but not sure how far/long they should be.

Also, I am rather nervous about the whole transition area - what should I expect and is there anything I should prepare for?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    run-bike-run, right??

look up a brick work out. it's a staple of triathletes. gets you used to the feeling of running after a bike ride, and vice versa.

don't worry about the transition. you're not doing this for time. you're doing this for fun and to finish it. my first triathlon i kinda figured that it was all up in the air. just remember where your bike is racked, don't knock over anyones stuff, and have fun!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    what a super goal to aim for!! how long are the run and bike ride? i'm just a runner, my mountain bike is far too heavy for a duathlon
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    what a super goal to aim for!! how long are the run and bike ride? i'm just a runner, my mountain bike is far too heavy for a duathlon

no it's not.

saw many people at my first triathlon with a mountain bike, or a hybrid. i would've done it with my mountain bike, but i got a sweet deal for a road bike four weeks before the race.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have fun! I've done one--a triathlon-turned-duathlon after the swim got cancelled b/c weather. It's a fun format. In my race, the first run was quite short (1 mile) so everyone went out hard. I don't know if that it usual.

As for the bike and the 2nd run, the best advice for the bike is to ride at a pace that keeps your HR reasonable. It is very easy to push hard on the bike and burn more matches you need to save for the second run. If you pace yourself well (ie, zone 3) on the bike, you will be in good shape for the run.

3 days a week for each sounds good but be sure to build bricks into your routine (bike followed by a short run/run followed by a short bike) to get used to what it feels like--it is not comfortable.

The transition in a duathlon is easy--if you are using cycling shoes, that will be the only really issue. Otherwise, just don't forget to put on and take off your helmet.

Again, have fun!
  • smte
    smte Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is run-bike-run. I am trying this particular duathlon because it is a little shorter than most, I didnt want to get in over my head! Run 2.5 mi, bike 15.5 miles, run 2.5.

bluefox - they actually have a division for mountain bikes in this duathlon, which is what I am going to do. I guess alot of newcomers do this for their first time.

Capt - thanks, I will look up some brick workouts!
  • stepitupgirl
    Options
    Do a couple dry runs going from running to biking to running.. the biggest thing for me was my legs felt like Jello going from running to biking then back to running.. even if your not doing it for time, it takes some getting used to to transition over. Plus that 2.5 mile run after the bike ride is a LONG 2.5 mile run!! LOL
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    this is my brick work out with my triathlon club tomorrow.

20-30min warm-up on the bike, with several pickups throughout to raise heart rate and get your legs ready for harder efforts
    30x (30sec hard/30sec easy spin), 30min total for the set
    Hard efforts are the best pace/output you can hold for all the reps, so the first is not a maximal effort
    Run off the bike for 20min at your best possible pace, followed by a 10min jog to cool down

Goal: Burn some matches and work on power output. You’ll push the pace harder and more often than you would during any of your events, then see how well you can run afterward. Imagine a course of short, but steep, rolling hills. Test yourself. When you pace more consistently (less peak outputs, less easy spinning) in your races, you won’t lose much time on the bike, but you’ll be less likely to have pace falter at the middle to end of the run for an Olympic, ½, or IM triathlon.
  • cbanczak
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but thank you so much Capt! My boyfriend and I caught the running bug and we signed up for our first duathlon, with 10 weeks ahead of us to train. =) I'll be incorporating your advice into my workout routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    9 weeks is plenty of time. i say nine because you should honestly rest that last week. i know waaaay too many people that try and squeeze in extra milage that last week. make sure you taper off!!