Squats with bar - too heavy

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Amyaya wrote: »
    Wow everyone - thanks very much for your comments!!! I totally understand that if I can't safely lift I prob shouldn't try! I agree it's looking for injuries.
    And yes I was talking about the squat track in Body Pump class so what I need to do is load weight up on the floor and lift up.

Because I've only been doing classes since I started gym I have limited knowledge on those machines everyone is talking about. But I want to start utilising the free weights and machines now.

if you want to get into free weights I would suggest reading up on one of the following programs - new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, or strong lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    Also, just putting it out there, if you're squatting whole tracks with what's about 45-50 pounds, you're probably not going to get a lot of benefit from Bodypump for much longer. It sounds like a progressive overload program would be great for you.
    cosign
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Wow everyone - thanks very much for your comments!!! I totally understand that if I can't safely lift I prob shouldn't try! I agree it's looking for injuries.
    And yes I was talking about the squat track in Body Pump class so what I need to do is load weight up on the floor and lift up.

Because I've only been doing classes since I started gym I have limited knowledge on those machines everyone is talking about. But I want to start utilising the free weights and machines now.

if you want to get into free weights I would suggest reading up on one of the following programs - new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, or strong lifts.

cosign
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You could always try doing squats on the smith machine. Or do rack squats.

please do not learn in the smith machine....

you are way better off squatting in the squat rack
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    She's talking about squats during a Bodypump class, though, where it wouldn't be possible to use a squat rack. Olympic bars aren't used--it's a smaller bar with smaller weights. Load the bar with only what you can safely lift over your head, even if that means not squatting as much as you're capable of.

If you want to squat heavier, you need to move away from classes like Bodypump which are high rep and to an actual lifting program where you utilize the squat rack.

This...
    agggh.gif

It seems like perhaps you are outgrowing Bodypump. Ultimately, you will need to find an establishment with a squat rack...I think you're primed to start a progressive lifting routine.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    First, start with a power clean. I’m linking to a youtube tutorial (skip the first 1:47).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfkaxK1dy0

Now, you have the bar on your front shoulder. Do a push press. See linked youtube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTXdlYdC2U

Only now, with the push press, you don’t have to get full extension. You just need enough height to get the weight over your head and let it come down on your shoulder.

As to your wrist, you might not have enough mobility in the shoulders and wrists. If you’re struggling to get in the wrack position after the power clean, you’ll want to work on mobility.

yea, but don't you think that is bad advice as there will eventually become a point where OP is just not going to be able to do that as the weights get heavier…

Isn't it also a little dangerous?

Yes, you will eventually squat more than you can clean. Or you will fall short in one of the other motions possibly dropping the bar on your head/neck. Alternately you will be limiting your squat weight and stalling out in that movement. It is at best a short term solution and robs ly best done with a front squat.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPs who suggest you move on from BodyPump. I started here to, moved on to free weights. One problem with Body Pump is you do ALL muscle groups over the hour. Really you should lift heavy for one or two muscle groups a day and allow them to rest and repair. I've seen such better results lifting free weights heavy.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so I went to the gym today and after doing a half an hour Grit class I used some of the machines. I didn't get to free weights though. I feel much more tired today than the day I did Body Pump recently. I will start learning more about free weights/machine training from now on and hopefully I can combine them well with some class training I still enjoy!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If it's just for body pump then maybe do a few days in the weight room working on upper body so you can clean the heavier bar onto your back?

If you're going to be doing that though, you'd be as well to start a heavy lifting programme like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 3x a week and just use your pump class as cardio (that way you can just stick with the 20 in there but work on heavier squats where there's safer equipment to do it).
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a shoulder injury at the moment and cant hold the bar on my back. I miss my back squats :(
    I do a range of deadlifts, cleans, thrusters and front squats. I can still get my squat on ;)

I will repeat what the others have said though, a gym without a squat rack wouldn't be the place for me :)

I also go to classes similar to bodypump and use them for my cardio. I use light weights (a 15kg bar) so I can lift them easily and quickly for the whole session. It's more about form and control than the weight in classes.
  • Amyaya
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That is an idea!! I will try this and how I go.. I didn't think of doing BP as a cardio before!!
  • CaitsGreat
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Also, just putting it out there, if you're squatting whole tracks with what's about 45-50 pounds, you're probably not going to get a lot of benefit from Bodypump for much longer. It sounds like a progressive overload program would be great for you.
    cosign

cosign

Also.. cosign. Use body pump as a supplement form of HIIT, and go lift heavy
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Thanks everyone - One more question if that is ok.
    Can you recommend any good websites that I can look at to learn routines (for free weights and machine beginners?)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's been said.

go forth- get fabulous.
  • Amyaya
    Options
    Thank you :) I will definitely have a look.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    OP, I did new rules of lifting for women and loved it (and saw great results), so I would definitely recommend it. But all those suggestions are good programs, so find what works for you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have not tested one rep max on squats or bench because no spotter..
    This was written many days ago.

This one wonders, "Bro, do you even power cage?"