Juicing fast

Options
I got inspired once again by "fat sick and nearly dead" but I also watched "hungry for change" and I really want to do a juicing fast for at least 10 days if not more. I have wanted to be a raw vegan for a while, or at least 75 percent raw vegan, and hoping the fast will help rid my cravings of horrible processed foods that I love! I'm sure I will have the occasional grilled chicken or steak, but I want them to be "real" chicken and beef, not Wal-Mart super hormone injected kinds of meat.

Has anyone been on a fast? What results did you get? And don't tell me not to do it because you did and you did it for three days and quit saying how horrible you felt, I know that's how its going to be and im expecting it. It is a detox after all....

And what are some of your fav juicing recipes? I got some from joe cross' website, but I don't know if any of them taste any good. I did his mean green juice, but added beets and I really liked it! I also did my own version of "v8" and added black pepper but all it made me want to do was add vodka because it tasted like a virgin bloody mary lol!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I got inspired once again by "fat sick and nearly dead" but I also watched "hungry for change" and I really want to do a juicing fast for at least 10 days if not more. I have wanted to be a raw vegan for a while, or at least 75 percent raw vegan, and hoping the fast will help rid my cravings of horrible processed foods that I love!

Just start eating the way you want to eat. Don't do some fad diet gimmick that isn't sustainable. That's pointless. Go buy the vegan food and start eating like that if you wish to do so. One of the best ways to avoid eating specific foods that you currently label as bad is to stop buying them unless you're one of those people that wanders around Wal-Mart eating food out of the package as you shop for other food.

There is no "bad" food but if certain foods help you eat better then go for it and don't wait 10 days to start eating right.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I did a juicing fast for 6 days after watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I lost a lot of weight but went slowly back to eating real food since I was extremely shaky and sick at the end of the fast. Now I only do juice fasts for maybe 2-3 days to shock my body into weight loss or to detoxify myself.
  • luvinlife58
    luvinlife58 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am doing A juice Fast right now . Im currently on Day 3. My fittness pal is awesome however you get a lot of people telling you don't do this, but do this. You can find an article from a doctor saying yes and article from a doctor saying no on every diet there is. The thing is with dieting or a healthy lifestyle as some people call it, you have to do what is best for you. I hate veggies. I have trouble eating them, all i like are carrots. For me, and my lifestyle juicing is working out great. My body is getting all the great stuff from, beets, spinach, kale, cucumber, celery etc. Things I would NEVER EAT. I always have a 3yr old with some health issues and Im always on the run and at a doctor or speech therapy. I also work and usually throw bad food in my system or i dont eat all day and binge at night when i finally have 10 min to myself. I wake up at 630 am and juice 5 different types of juices . Put them in water bottles and in the cooler. This way the cooler goes with me and i have great things going in my body all day long. So FOR ME - this juice fast is so much healthier for my body. I have never felt this good. I am doing only juice right now. ( going for a 7 day and then will go from there) I am using only organic veggies and fruits. I drink juice whenever im hungry. I feel full with the juice and water. I also have lupus and I am always tired. Since I have been on this juice fast i have had more energy then ever.
  • luvinlife58
    luvinlife58 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes:
    Strawberry Pineapple and TONS of KALE. its like my treat! Taste so good!
  • macheaney
    macheaney Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'm looking into juicing myself. :)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lol, juicing fast for 10 days. You're gona have some watery sh*ts.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ive been juicing since last Monday and surprisingly I don't have the skitters or anything like that.,...I just have to pee A LOT!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    even though I juice I still eat, I just eat clean meals like salads with my home made salad dressing, and I eat fruit and veggies if im hungry in between. So maybe im not on what a "traditional" fast is. And im not doing a fast to lose weight, its just a side effect I am enjoying....I am doing it to refresh my cells and insides. I now sleep really well at night, and I don't need coffee, energy drinks or soda throughout the day to stay awake, I have a ton of energy and I just feel more positive all over. Plus I started my period and did not have any breakouts, which is completely new to me because I usually get like 4 pimples. I don't crave candy or horrible sweets, but I did cheat and have some sweet potato fries (our little secret)
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you've been registered here for 4 years, are you really not aware by now that fad diets are not the answer?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My mom did a juice fast for a few days. From what she's told me, you do lose weight very quickly, but I think you put some of it back on. She fasted just to reset her taste buds and detox. She did have a smoothie with no protein elements to it in the mornings, however.

I don't think this is a great weight loss technique (although I also watched those two documentaries and felt inspired!), but it does help to give your body plenty of nutrients that it needs.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    you've been registered here for 4 years, are you really not aware by now that fad diets are not the answer?

Its not a "fad diet". I'm not on the miracle cranberry juice diet that you drink for three days and lose ten pounds. I'm making juice out of fruits and veggies myself. Man, some of you people can be twisted. If someone eats a whole pizza for 10 days as long as it fits in their calorie intake, you say not to feel bad because they aren't going over their calories, but if someone wants to juice and still make their calories intake, you find it bad....I don't get it lol. Juice has a lot more calories than you think, plus im making my own salad dressing out of olive oil, which has a lot of caliories, and I still eat stuff like peanut butter with my bananas, as long as its organic and doesn't have added sugar.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i dont like em.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    She sounds like shes getting her calories, but, the juicers efficiency is questionable as is the starting weight of the vegetables. Id try and supplement more protein and keep the weight loss at a maximum of 3# a week. Juice fasts are notorious for fast losses in water weight. They are NOT notorious for excellent fat reduction.

TBH, I wouldnt do it, but, I understand you wanting to try it.
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a great! Lot's of vitamins, and energy and a great way to detox. You can always replace a lunch or dinner with a good green drink! Don't pay attention to the nay Sayers.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i did 3 weeks of a lemon cleanse a few years ago...
    The OP is doing 10 days... so assuming I was in her shoes... I would have lost. 9.0lbs of LBM which would slow down my metabolism and make me gain weight a lot easier.
    The OP is not doing a lemon cleanse, so if you were in her shoes, you wouldn't be doing a lemon cleanse either.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts are notorious for fast losses in water weight. They are NOT notorious for excellent fat reduction.

QFT. I've mentioned it before but I did a seven-day juice years ago and lost 1lb, got an upset stomach and made a mess of my kitchen. I do fully understand the idea that people somehow want to "cleanse" or "detox" but there is no scientific backing to it.

Including juice in your diet/using it as a single meal replacement is a great idea but it's really difficult to get all the nutrients you need and protein just through juicing. And any notion of "detoxing" is simply a myth. Your liver and kidneys do a great job of that without cutting out solid food.

As for me, I occasionally do some juicing but the side effects and lack of scientific evidence as to its effectiveness mean I will never do a pure juice diet again.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Its not a "fad diet". I'm not on the miracle cranberry juice diet that you drink for three days and lose ten pounds. I'm making juice out of fruits and veggies myself. Man, some of you people can be twisted. If someone eats a whole pizza for 10 days as long as it fits in their calorie intake, you say not to feel bad because they aren't going over their calories, but if someone wants to juice and still make their calories intake, you find it bad....I don't get it lol. Juice has a lot more calories than you think, plus im making my own salad dressing out of olive oil, which has a lot of caliories, and I still eat stuff like peanut butter with my bananas, as long as its organic and doesn't have added sugar.

You can hit your calories eating nothing but pizza but you can't hit your macros