Gained back all my weight but still losing inches.

Options
So two weeks ago I weighed myself in the afternoon and the scale said I was the weight I usually am in the mornings, so I thought that was a good sign. The next week when I did my official weigh in (in the a.m.) the scale said I gained all my weight back. I am losing inches though. SO I am really confused and sort of upset/depressed about it. I am looking better and clothes are fitting me better, so I am trying not to focus too much on the number on the scale but it is still upsetting.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't understand

It's a week and your weight is static? But your clothes fit better?

Weight loss works like that you just need to take the scale in your stride
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    water weight, undigested food. You should try to weigh yourself at the same time and in the same conditions and same scale each time. that said weight loss is not linear you fluctuate day to day and intra day
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale for a while and JUST measure. It happens that way: I'll have weeks where I won't lose, or even gain from previous weeks, but drop entire pants sizes... and others where I'll lose like 5lbs at once and then steady down week to week... but no inches.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Scale measures your total weight. Hair, muscle, skin, nails, what you're digesting, and a lot of water. So it can absolutely show no change (when there have been lots of changes) or gains (when you have not gained fat) or losses (when you've only lost water).

That's why people recommend taking pictures and measurements. The scale is often going to say something weird, and it gets people (understandably) upset and frustrated.

You're losing inches and your clothes fit better. I'm assuming you're logging, so you would know if you'd eaten thousands and thousands of calories over your maintenance (which would be required to gain fat -- 3500 calories per lb OVER your maintenance calories). So you're making progress, your scale just isn't going to tell you about it today.

I've lost only water weight so far, and yet I've gone from "I might need to buy new pants" to "ack I need to get my belt". /shrugs