Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

two slices of multigrain bread vs oatmeal

I've been eating oatmeal every morning and then a hummus sandwich on multigrain brain during my first break. Now that I'm charting my food, the oatmeal and bread are killing my carbs total. If I could only have one, I'd rather have the two slices of multigrain, but something tells me the oatmeal would be better.

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Why is it better? As long as the multigrain has a good nutritional profile (some of them don't) it's a solid breakfast. And why can't you have different ones on different days?
  • jlloyd204
    jlloyd204 Posts: 3 Member
    Most types of bread (including those labelled as multigrain, whole grain, etc) are still highly refined and processed. In my opinion you're best off with the oatmeal (assuming it is 100% oats, not the Quaker crap that's loaded with sugar and other junk) because it's a more natural food and will digest slower than the bread keeping you fuller longer. In the end you at least identified that you should only eat one or the other so you could switch up (oatmeal 4 days/week and a sandwich the other 3).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    If i had a choice then id prefer oatmeal as it fills me up more than a couple of slices of bead. I woulnt worry about it though and just eat whatever you fancy as they are both pretty good for nutrition. I like carbs so wouldnt see any need to restrict them, but you must be doing a lo carb diet for whatever reason. I think there are more importnat apsects of a diet to be bothered about.
  • VermontDan
    VermontDan Posts: 50 Member
    The hummus sandwich makes a quick and easy work food so it's best I eat that every day.
    I think I can come up with a breakfast alternative fairly easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I would go with oatmeal. Oats are high in soluble fiber...most multi-grain breads will be pretty good fiber wise, but it will primarily be insoluble fiber.

Of course, my POV on this stems from having had cholesterol issues...I give a lot of credit to including oats as a regular part of my diet in helping me lower my LDL levels...there are other factors as well, but I do believe that regular consumption of oats and legumes have helped me along greatly.
  • VermontDan
    jlloyd204 wrote: »
    Most types of bread (including those labelled as multigrain, whole grain, etc) are still highly refined and processed..

I think my bread is about as healthy as bread gets, although maybe the straight whole wheat would be better. I don't care for bread in plastic, I'm a bread guy, which is part of the reason I'm here. Moderation has never been my middle name.

http://www.redhenbaking.com/portfolio/mad-river-grain/
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Try bringing a baggie of carrots and celery to dunk in hummus instead of a sandwich. I chopped out a lot of calories by using veg (or even poached chicken breast on my lifting days for added protein!) instead of my usual delicious Stacy's Pita chips.
  • VermontDan
    999tigger wrote: »
    If i had a choice then id prefer oatmeal as it fills me up more than a couple of slices of bead.

Very true, and I've noticed oatmeal gives me a lot of energy in the morning. Thinking about one egg with 4 egg whites along with raspberries and blueberries for breakfast instead. Seems like I've done this when I've been out of oatmeal, but felt like I was missing some of the oatmeal energy.
  • VermontDan
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Try bringing a baggie of carrots and celery to dunk in hummus instead of a sandwich.

I've considered this - will give it a try.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I add a little protein to every carb meal to balance it out. Then I don't show as much overage. So I have my oatmeal with a little greek yogurt. I'd switch to one slice bread.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Oh nice! Another Vermonter! The bread there is so great.
  • VermontDan
    adamitri wrote: »

oh god don't get me started :'(
  • VermontDan

and if you don't know what Heady Topper is - you're lucky
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Are you a vegan? There are many non-dairy protein sources you can use in the morning to fill you up. Add a pea or soy protein powder to your oatmeal as a nice boost to your protein macro. You may then be able to maybe use half the bread in a hummus sandwich later on, unless you're wedded to the hummus sandwich. Either way, adding a protein powder to oatmeal does a lot to stave off hunger and add a boost of nutrition.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    VermontDan wrote: »

I know what it is but I've never had it before lol. I prefer a nice Guinness if I'm going to drink beer.
  • mcltre36
    mcltre36 Posts: 9 Member

It took me a while, but I've accepted the fact that I'll never get to try one in Canada.
  • VermontDan
    Are you a vegan? There are many non-dairy protein sources you can use in the morning to fill you up. Add a pea or soy protein powder to your oatmeal as a nice boost to your protein macro. You may then be able to maybe use half the bread in a hummus sandwich later on, unless you're wedded to the hummus sandwich. Either way, adding a protein powder to oatmeal does a lot to stave off hunger and add a boost of nutrition.

Thanks to all of you for info

I actually would like to be a vegan, but lack the discipline at this point. Wife is one.
    I've been considering more soy based protein though.

• VermontDan
    mcltre36 wrote: »

It took me a while, but I've accepted the fact that I'll never get to try one in Canada.

consider yourself lucky, i have one in my fridge.

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    I like multigrain breads, but I often wonder what they mean when they label breads as "100% whole wheat". I'm a bread baker, and as far as I know, there is no recipe that doesn't include white flour, and quite a lot of it. If I add any more than 30% whole wheat flour to my bread dough while it's mixing, the end result is very dense, very heavy and pretty awful.

If this were my choice to make, I'd go with the oatmeal, which has more health benefits than the bread. i don't know what that glutinous (not gluten) substance is that holds oatmeal together and feels kind of slippery, but I've read that it's extremely healthful and aids in keeping us feeling full.
  • VermontDan
    I like multigrain breads, but I often wonder what they mean when they label breads as "100% whole wheat". I'm a bread baker, and as far as I know, there is no recipe that doesn't include white flour, and quite a lot of it. If I add any more than 30% whole wheat flour to my bread dough while it's mixing, the end result is very dense, very heavy and pretty awful.

If this were my choice to make, I'd go with the oatmeal, which has more health benefits than the bread. i don't know what that glutinous (not gluten) substance is that holds oatmeal together and feels kind of slippery, but I've read that it's extremely healthful and aids in keeping us feeling full.

I was once told the healthiest bread feels dry and doesn't toast well (sugar caramelization).
    Didn't get this from an expert by any means. One of the multi grains I like, not the one mentioned, has almost a sticky feel, like you have to peel the bread slices apart after it has been bagged. It's fairly moist. It also comes from a small artisan baker listing healthy ingredients. I really like the texture - which means it probably isn't good for me.

I've bought this bread. They are claiming it's whole wheat. It's quite good.

http://www.redhenbaking.com/portfolio/100-whole-wheat/