Implant fitted 2 Months Ago - Struggling to lose weight and gaining a lot?!

Options
pandabear_
pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I'm wondering if any one has had any experience of dieting and trying to lose weight after just having the implant fitted or while using it? (The Implant is a contraceptive that is fitted into your arm.)

I had it fitted in January, and since then I seem to have gained over 10 lbs, despite eating within or only just over my calories and trying to exercise (I could be doing more). It's also made me have my period twice a month, so I guess my body is always in the pre-period weight phase.

I started to take some measurements to see how things have changed and my waist has gone up two inches and so have my boobs... Everything else is exactly the same, I haven't gained any inches on the rest of my body. But it's a bit annoying as my favourite dress, which was tight around the waist already, is now too tight to wear. :(

Does anyone have any words of motivation or support for me and has been in the same situation? What am I supposed to do? Eat even less? Exercise even more? I was really successful when I first used MFP and the weight seemed to come off, even if slowly. I never gained 6 lbs up each week... I'm actually terrified of seeing the number on the scale now.

Replies

• pandabear_
    Options
    Anyone? It's 'Implanon' or 'nexplanon' I think for Americans on MFP
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. Almost ALL women gain weight from hormonal birth control (me included). There isn't a whole lot you can do besides keep doing what you are doing. I would measure yourself periodically though because you can also be carrying a lot of water weight as well.
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I`ve had an implant for almost 6 years now. I'll be honest: I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I liked but I continue to use it because it was the best of a bad bunch in terms of options. I have periods which last for 6 weeks or more and are unpredictable and irregular.
    I`ve used hormonal BC for 10 years and started gaining weight around then ~ possibly not linked, I also really like cake and tailed off using the gym when I went to college ~ but have been able to lose weight within that time.
    My philosophy is that I must use something and this seems fairly foolproof ~ my memory is too unreliable for the pill. And I know I can lose weight with it as I've done it before.
    That said; mine is due to come out in july and will not be replaced so we`ll see whether the weight just melts away when its gone! (I wish)
  • nmkenney597
    nmkenney597 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I breifly, approximately 4 months, had a nexplanon implant. I liked that I didn't have to worry about taking a pill each day but found it in the long run it wasn't for me.

I didn't gain weight, which is a stated side effect, but found that my energy levels were extremely low for the first month or two. What had been an easy 3.5 mile run became something I struggled to finish, not just occasionally but every time.

Additionally, after a couple months I began to have cystic acne - also a side effect of progesterone only bc that my gyn had not warned me about. I had never had much acne as a teenager and as an adult this was really difficult. I have since had my implant removed, energy came back but still dealing with some acne as my hormones rebalance.

Also, getting it removed was pretty painful even with local anesthetic. Can't imagine how painful it would be after 2 years.

Hard to say if your bc alone is causing the weigh gain. My advice is to give it a little time and if things don't change talk with your doctor and get a different bc. There are lots of options out there and I believe it is much more important to find one that works for your lifestyle rather than making drastic changes to make a bc work for you. In my case, adult acne was simply something I could not live with and my gyn understood that when I told her I wanted the implant removed and a new prescription. I would feel the same way if it was causing weight gain.

• pandabear_
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try to incorporate more exercise into my week and see how it goes, even if I lose maybe 0.1 lb or something, that would be at least a change
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit. I notice you lost 17 pounds, awesome job. Did you adjust your calories since then? Can you open your diary?
  • pandabear_
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks, I am in a deficit I think, but maybe could be exercising more. I had 26 lbs before lost. So I am logging the weight I've gained.

I had my calories at 1260 before when I lost 26 lbs, now it's at 1480 because I don't have so much time to exercise and I am more hungry than usual. So I thought losing 0.5lb a week was a manageable goal.

I have to try to work out how to make my diary public... Will try to make it later :)
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had nexplanon put in in early December, and I've actually been doing better at eating less and have lost 2 inches off of my waist since then :smirk: every BC hits everyone differently; I lost weight three years ago when I started the combination pill, too (even though everyone else gains weight). It should start evening out after about 6 months though, so if you can just wait out the adjustment period!!

I've been having my TOM a lot more frequently too... But I've also noticed it's taking less days, and the flow's significantly lighter.

Do you wanna be buddies? It would be great to have a lady friend on the same BC! =)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't use hormonal birth control! I gain like crazy no matter the type! I have tried the pill, the mini pill, the shot and the patch. It SUCKS!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    good news is though, that if you stop using it, you will likely see a loss relatively easily. At least I did with each type.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hormonal birth control tends to increase your appetite. I was on the "heinous" Depo for 5 years and was able to lose weight when I was honest with myself. I have the Mirena IUD now and am losing weight on that as well. Weigh everything you eat and see if you start to notice a difference.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon as well and I also got in January. I initially continued to lose weight, although I did gain back about 4 pounds in the last month. I think my gain was more due to overeating and not exercising enough though. As I've started to get back on my grind, the weight is quickly dropping back off so it was probably mostly water weight and not a true gain. This is my personal experience, and so far I haven't decided whether or not I want to keep the implant in or not. If you are really worried, I would suggest talking to your doctor.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As others have said, calories consumed, versus calories burnt and creating a deficit is the key - and very much still possible with the Implanon implant.

However, in my personal experience, the implant did make it more challenging to create a deficit because:
    - I had slightly longer periods
    - My period 'symptoms' were slightly worse and included cramps, backache and joint pains, which made it harder to exercise
    - I'd crave starchy foods at the start of my cycle

Nothing that you can't overcome with willpower, but an additional challenge.

I had it removed before it 'expired' in the end, because the 'symptoms' got worse after a year and a half.
    Someone mentioned it was painful having it removed - personally, I had mine for about 18 months and the removal wasn't an issue at all.

It's always tricky finding a birth control method that works. I settled for an IUD in the end - the non-hormonal one, so the joint pain and cravings are no longer an issue.
    - This used to only be offered to women who had already had children, but there's now a smaller version anyone can use
    - I've heard it can sometimes be painful to have inserted, but didn't personally have any issues
    - It can lead to much more pronounced cramps. These are pretty severe, but after 4 months, I found this settled down to just one day in the month. It's still painful on that day, but it's a trade-off I'd take to not have the other symptoms that I experienced with hormonal contraceptives.
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had my implant fitted beginning December. I've not had a period as of yet (touch wood) but I've had emotional swings.

I initially lost weight and I've stuck at the same weight now for the past 6 weeks. This week I've changed all my goals around and hitting the gym more so hoping I can start losing again. Its the only birth control I haven't gained weight on. I gained around 2 stone in the 12 months I had the patch, GP had warned me but I refused to take the pill or have the IUD.
  • pandabear_
    Options
    Thanks for the all the tips guys, I'm going to start weighing my food more and give it a 6 month trial and hopefully it will settle down. I noticed this week my
    Period has been shorter... So maybe it's just my body adjusting.

I think I should be able to lose still if I am consistent and work hard, but the initial shock of having gained so much in a short period of time was terrifying.

I'm not living in my home country at the moment, so the implant seemed like a good idea to get for the short term while I am abroad and can't go to my doctor frequently. Maybe I will get it switched for a non-hormonal IUD, that also seemed like a good option.
  • SiggeBjork
    SiggeBjork Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym 4-5 times per week, have started the C25K and been following a low carb diet - something that always worked wonders for me in the past.

18 months ago I got the implant and although I didn't gain weight from it, I haven't lost anything to shout hurrah over either. It makes no logical sense at all that in a week where I am under my calorie goal as well as carb goal and go running 3 times in the week, along with swimming and weight training - that my loss is 200 grams when I am 5 stone overweight. And that same pattern repeats itself week after week where I know that a couple of years ago, I'd have lost a fair bit more.

So I've been reading a lot of information from fellow women online and this seems to be a common pattern and for that purpose I've decided to get rid of the implant and see what difference it will make to my weight loss journey.

• caburkhardt
    caburkhardt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had my implant in a little over two years at this point after switching from oral contraceptives. As many have already noted, every woman's body responds differently to different types and combinations of hormonal birth controls. For me, the oral pills were wrecking havoc on my body. Two months after switching to the implant (yes, it does take some time for your body to adjust) mood swings literally disappeared and weight I had been trying to lose for two to three years started coming off at a steady rate without changing any of my exercise or eating habits. For me personally, it was a life saver. I think your plan to give it six months and then decide is a solid plan- I'll cross my fingers that it worked as well for you as it did for me! (My only bit of advice.. carry a panty liner at all times. Although periods are much lighter and farther between, spotting can happen without much warning. Never ruined a pair of pants over it or anything, but it is my ONLY gripe, and certainly not a pain enough to get rid of the thing) :)
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've done a bit of research on this because I needed to switch to a different hormone for my contraception. Some people do gain weight on Nexplanon (same hormone as the mini pill) but it's down to it making you crave different foods. It makes it harder to lose weight, but only mentally not physically. I've had Nexplanon for over 3 years now and never had a problem with it. I did put on weight, but that was because I gave into the cravings. You just have to tough it out, or change to a different contraception.
  • pandabear_
    Options
    I've done a bit of research on this because I needed to switch to a different hormone for my contraception. Some people do gain weight on Nexplanon (same hormone as the mini pill) but it's down to it making you crave different foods. It makes it harder to lose weight, but only mentally not physically. I've had Nexplanon for over 3 years now and never had a problem with it. I did put on weight, but that was because I gave into the cravings. You just have to tough it out, or change to a different contraception.

Thanks, yes I am beginning to think it's my cravings which are causing the increase, as I was buying a lot of crap that I usually crave before periods (salty foods). I'm now measuring all my food, even the snacks, and exercising, so I'm going to see how a few more months go.
  • pandabear_
    Options
    Just wanted to say...

I have managed to lose 1.2 lbs since I posted this. I know that's not much, but I've started weighing all my food consistently (when I am at home and have the scales), pushing myself to go running every other day, and drinking more water. Hopefully this is the start of more weight loss, so I can finally fit back into my favourite dress in time for summer. :D