Personal Trainer

Kieranova94
Kieranova94 Posts: 53 Member
Would it be a smart idea to invest in one?..

Replies

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    If you don't have the patience to research all the info you need, or if you have the money to spend!

Personally, I would have loved to work with someone as I see it more like coaching. It's good to have an external opinion sometimes.

Otherwise, I have checked out many programs and tried to find the common stuff, the bases of a workout program. From there, I have developed my own routines. But I love this stuff and aspire to become a PT one day.

You can find free program on www.bodybuilding.com and there is a library of all the exercises, with charts of the muscle worked and videos for checking the proper form. There is also many apps, but I don't use any so I can't make recommendation. But yeah, the website is legit if you've never checked it out.

Good luck on your journey!
  • madzdad
    madzdad Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2015
    You know, I wondered the same thing for years. I finally checked out quite a few and had some intro sessions as well. Though my parks & rec I found a really good one that is only about $40/session. I have been working with him for several months with specific goals in mind. My weight has only recently began to drop as I held off on the nutrition/diet part of my life, but I am in much, much better shape. I see it and my trainer sees more than I do. He is able to tell me where I have improved. There is a nice motivation and accountability piece built in there as well.

Check out all of your options, some trainers are just not worth the expense. I talked to some that charged as much as $140/session and our goals just did not align. Take your time, have a potential trainer put you in contact with a couple of clients as well, to get their feel for the trainers style.

Best of luck!
  • AlyssainNC
    AlyssainNC Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Really depends on you. I use one and it really helps me. Not all trainers are created equally though. You've got to find one that knows their stuff, isn't just trying to push their peculiar (oftentimes expensive) shake/bar/restrictive system, and works you out in a way that gets you to *your* goal, not theirs.

I use a trainer because it helps me stay accountable, I like the variety of exercises she gives me, and the emotional support. I also have had a few injuries (from years back) and she's really helped me strengthen those areas. Your mileage may vary!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The depends on a lot of things.

Have you worked out before?
    Do you have issues with form?
    What your goals are.
    cost/benefit.

If you are new to working out I would suggest starting with a beginners program, pick up the book Starting Strength, and follow that or strong lifts 5x5, use youtube to get form tips (Mark Ripetoe). After reading and trying the lifts out if you feel uncomfortable about your form I would suggest getting a trainer to help you do the lifts correctly, not necessary design a program for you.

If you like cardio, do it on the non-lifting days.
  • Temeritas
    Temeritas Posts: 585 Member
    Agree - if you have issues with accountability then grab one. I have a great group of friends on MFP that hold my feet to the fire!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Depends as pointed out above, cost benefit analysis. Are you the sort of self starter who can do their own research and motivate yourself. They vary in quality and you cna get by without one if you do the research.

If you are nervous, cant motivate yourself or would just like someone pointing out what to do as well as support then it could be invaluable for you. As you are only 20, then id guess you arent flush with money and id use it elsewhere if none of the above applies.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    If you decide to use one, get recommendations from friends that have used the trainer. There are some great ones out there, but many are pathetic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    kieranova wrote: »
    Would it be a smart idea to invest in one?..
    Different from person to person. Some NEED them to adhere to a program of consistency. Some don't. Some need instruction on correct form or help with designing a program that works for them. Others don't.
    Trainer's philosophies are different from one another. Many of my peers are into a lot of functional training only, while some like myself do a lot more with free weight resistance and HIIT programs.
    So it's really going to come down to one's personal decision. You know you and what you're capable of in most cases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    It's only smart if it is a good personal trainer. Your goals, needs and wallet would help you decide if you would benefit from one. Hiring one does not guarantee your success. You still need to put in the work.

I've been using a personal trainer almost weekly for 2.5 years. At the beginning it was all about accountability and learning proper lifting technique, workout schedules, and a great reference to a dietitian. Now that all of those good habits have been instilled I use it for athletic performance reasons. I've loved both of the PT's I've had and consider them my friend.
  • Kieranova94
    Kieranova94 Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you very much people :) very helpful..