Wrist pain

Options
Does anyone know of good wrist stretches? My wrist just below my thumb has been hurting A LOT for the past month or so. I've found a couple of stretches online, and have been trying to strengthen my wrist by squeezing a stress ball, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

My workout of choice is yoga, so I do put a lot of pressure on my wrists (and yes, I take breaks when it gets really bad).

If anyone has had the same issue, and has found a solution that works, please let me know!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have had wrist problems for as long as I can remember. I use wrist wraps if I have to, or avoid exercises with too much wrist flexion (like a push-up position). I've never found anything that actually works beyond that. It's only gotten worse as I've gotten older, and has progressed to some moderately serious carpal tunnel at this point. So be smart about it.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Have you ruled out tendonitis? That's what happened to me during the summer, occurred right below the thumb and hurt when I bent it a certain way. If you haven't seen your doctor yet, definitely make an appointment before it gets worse and stay off your wrist. I would honestly not do anything until you've talked to your doctor about it.

Feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • tigerdpt2010
    tigerdpt2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When your hand is in push-up position it is actually considered wrist extension. It sounds a lot like De Quervain' s tenosynovitis on your symptoms description. Quick way to test for this: make a fist with your thumb inside your fist. Hold your fist so that your pinky is down and your thumb is up. Keeping your thumb inside your fist, tilt your hand downwards (towards your pinky).

De Quervain' s is inflammation of two tendons involved in thumb movements/wrist extension. I would recommend an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Ice, rest, and there are some exercises/stretches you can google specifically for this.

In case you are wondering, I'm a physical therapist ;)
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments guys! i might end up going to see my doctor just in case...
  • tigerdpt2010
    tigerdpt2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wrist hurting for one month below thumb, sorry, but it sounds like a tendon. Better have it checked.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would get it check out. If you haven't, I would also speak to your Yoga Instructor and make sure your hands and fingers are positioned correctly. have some wrist issues (a ganglion cyst) and noticed pain while doing certain positions. My Yoga instructor went over my hand positioning and it looks like that was adding to the pressure.