Best Way to Log Weightlifting?

KatyLBC
KatyLBC Posts: 354 Member
Hey MFP'rs!!

When you lift weights, do you keep track on the MFP journal? Hard Copy? Mobile App? What do you use? Post what you use!

I'm looking for the best way to record sets, reps, weight lifted, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Note book...
  • rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Hard copy for me. There's a good one you can buy at Barnes n noble
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I use the 5x5 app and log on mfp as well. A journal us a great idea as well
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    I use bodyspace and the accompanying phone app. There is NO integration between them and MFP so you'll end up posting the overall time in MPF separately. Cumbersome but I chose to do it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I have a notebook. At first I would forget. Now it's like a habit. I find it the best way to see your numbers progression.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    www.jefit.com is the best one I've found. It's easy to use and logs and graphs your progress over time, allows you to set goals, etc..
  • KatyLBC
    I don't log my weight lifting on MFP, usually just my cardio.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I use the RunKeeper app for all of my exercise (synced to MFP). It has a "Notes" section that I use to log my sets/reps.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I just write it down on a piece of paper.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Jefit app.
  • GonzoMan530
    GonzoMan530 Posts: 8 Member
    5x5 app
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Pen and paper.

You can still pick up that journal years from now and check it out. Who knows what apps, sites, etc will be around then. But the data will still be useful to you in a few years if you're training rather than exercising...
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Note book...

I agree this has been the most useful tool for me and cheapest/most reliable
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    www.jefit.com is the best one I've found. It's easy to use and logs and graphs your progress over time, allows you to set goals, etc..

Yup. This is what I use.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I use the 5x5 app while I'm actually lifting, then I log the same exercises into MFP under strength training and then under cardio I log strength training for however long it took and that shows calories burned.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »

If you want an app, I agree with Jefit. I love it. Bodyspace (part of bodybuilding.com) resets a lot on my phone, not sure if it's just an android thing or not. Either way, I love jefit. It's been great
  • KatyLBC
    Looking into jefit! I'm also open to the good ol' paper and pen, just curious as to how you record it? A pre-made table? How do you set your journal up?
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    KatyLBC wrote: »
    Looking into jefit! I'm also open to the good ol' paper and pen, just curious as to how you record it? A pre-made table? How do you set your journal up?

Plan your workout ahead of time, including weights, sets, and reps that you intend to do. Record what you actually do next to it. And a little space for notes can be helpful as well.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    I whipped up an excel spreadsheet with blank spaces for reps, sets and notes, and printed off the lot. At the moment I've gotten a bit lazy though, and just log my sessions on a whiteboard in the room I work out in (I work out at home).
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    KatyLBC wrote: »

Premade table in my case. A row for the session date and another for session notes on the left, and movements/ exercises along the top. Works well enough for me, as with the bodyweight programme I do, the number of total movements is small. If using for weights, especially with accessory work, you'd probably have to figure something else out, as the number of different movements/ exercises over a few sessions might be quite large.