Losing the cares, the worries and the pounds

Options
calbadger
calbadger Posts: 283 Member
I am a 45-year-old business professional, married with two kids (12 and 14). I have been a weightlifter and gym rat for decades. I was on my HS Ski Team and College Crew. My wife is also back in workout mode and both kids play school sports.

I have generally been a fit person, but there have been a number of tragedies and crises the past few years, that had an impact on my weight. Four years ago both my wife's business collapsed (with lots of debt) and my younger sister died at the age of 35. Three years ago, my grandmother passed away. Last year, my brother died at the age of 38 (it was his twin who had previously died). This past February, my mother died.

In these times, I turned to both food and wine, and my size-34 waist grew as did my weight. I have started coming back, but have a long road ahead of me.

In some good ways, but others bad, everyone in the family is a pretty good cook. This is good when trying new diet foods, but not so much when we make comfort foods.

Every day is a struggle. There are still so many raw emotions I experience. Every day I must choose to eat healthy, avoid drinking too much and get what exercise my schedule permits.

Replies

• perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    God bless you and yours. You have so much to live for and your kids deserve a dad who is 100% there for them. Too much drinking doesn't equate to that so keep that in mind on your journey. What a positive thing you are doing by trying to take control of your health again so that you can continue your life on an upswing. Never, never change those goals of yours.
  • upandover34
    Options
    i turned to drink for one reason or another but have kicked it into touch you have been through a lot but im sure you have the grit and determination to get where you want to be you have made a good start