Low carb and potassium

Options
calbadger
calbadger Posts: 283 Member
Does anyone have good recommendations for getting enough potassium while on a low-carb diet? I have no fear of dishes with sauces or seasonings.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    Any vegetables are good. What do you mean by "Low" Carb? Even meat has some potassium, so do eggs.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would ask why potassium is important to you if you don't care about sauces or seasonings? As the whole point of achieving enough potassium is to mitigate sodium. Therefore, eating some potassium then eating alot of sodium, will find the benefits of potassium weaning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Veggies, especially green veggies....couple servings of broccoli will get you almost 600 mg. Coconut water is a good source. I also drink a couple 5.5 Oz low sodium v8 juices every day...each one has a good 700 mg or so of potassium. My diary is open if you want to take a look...I usually get at least 4,000 mg, often more.
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have high blood pressure and since potassium helps reduce it, I try, but often fail, to reach the RDA.

What I meant by sauces and spices is that I truly enjoy variety on that score.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would ask why potassium is important to you if you don't care about sauces or seasonings? As the whole point of achieving enough potassium is to mitigate sodium. Therefore, eating some potassium then eating alot of sodium, will find the benefits of potassium weaning.

Not quite. Potassium is a required electrolyte, just like sodium, bicarbonate, and chloride. A deficiency in either will result in muscle tremors after exertion, and cramping.