Interesting article on weight loss myths

Options
I read this and it echoes what so many of us have heard and read here. So true! Share other myths youve learned on your weight loss journey.

http://elitedaily.com/life/smarter-fitness-11-silly-health-myths-stop-falling/953650/

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Love!

My favorite myth is that sugar makes you fat. I still giggle at the copious amounts of sugar I ate during weight loss.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who should read this.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with #1 and #9, especially when you consider them together. First, some people grain a significant amount of muscle while doing cardio. And while #9 may be true for some exercise, it isn't very true of cardio, when you consider that you can burn off a pound of fat in about 4 hours rather than the 35 hours the article suggests. For that matter, what kind of exercise only burns 100 calories in an hour?
  • Mrsallen6_11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    95% of the users and staff on this site for one.

Well I wasn't planning to point any fingers lol but since we've start, some of the people I work with as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent article, thanks for sharing!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Well I wasn't planning to point any fingers lol but since we've start, some of the people I work with as well.

Doing so would be against the Community Guidelines.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with #1 and #9, especially when you consider them together. First, some people grain a significant amount of muscle while doing cardio. And while #9 may be true for some exercise, it isn't very true of cardio, when you consider that you can burn off a pound of fat in about 4 hours rather than the 35 hours the article suggests. For that matter, what kind of exercise only burns 100 calories in an hour?

I'd love to meet these people and know under what circumstances these things occur
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

We must work with similar people.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well that was a refreshing read!
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Do they walk around complaining that they can't lose weight but when you ask them what they're doing to try and lose weight they say "nothing".
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im glad you all read it!
    One ive learned
    "Myth"- low fat foods are better for your diet. Ummmm no. When I first started here, i went shopping and bought low fat everything. I was so mad when I realized that some were actually more calories! Now i just have low fat with certain foods, but usually I just let myself enjoy the real food. And Im now actually trying to increase the "fat" in my diet.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Well that was a refreshing read!

Agreed! Although I am slightly disappointed. Now that the 'bad food' thread has died down, I was looking for a good one to sustain me through the last few hours of work.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    Doing so would be against the Community Guidelines.

Well I didn't call anyone out by name. I was just saying in general. I'm sure we ALL know someone or who needs to read this article.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

The body doesn't adapt to cardio by making more metabolically expensive tissue, the adaptation is to become more efficient
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I read this and it echoes what so many of us have heard and read here. So true! Share other myths youve learned on your weight loss journey.

http://elitedaily.com/life/smarter-fitness-11-silly-health-myths-stop-falling/953650/
    No disagreement from me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Do they walk around complaining that they can't lose weight but when you ask them what they're doing to try and lose weight they say "nothing".
    That or their new fad diet of the week.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Nice article, I think I actually agree on all counts. Rare.

Wish I would have had it to throw around on Facebook during January. So much stupid out there...
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm happy they talked about the breakfast myth. I'm so tired of being lecture by my colleagues for not eating breakfast!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK I'm going to confess to some confusion regarding the philosophies of lifting vs cardio:

On one hand, don't do cardio as your body adapts to it so your calorie burn decreases as you get more fit.

On the other hand, weight lifting doesn't burn many calories.

On the gripping hand, although weights help you preserve lean muscle tissue, and muscle is metabolically more expensive than fat, most people are only going to gain a small amount of muscle, if any.

So: cardio doesn't burn much, and lifting doesn't burn much. Can anyone untangle this?
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nice article. I agree with everything - even though I eat low carb, have breakfast every morning and do cardio (and lift weights!). There is NO best way - there's the best way for you!