Small Weight Loss Hacks

Options
What little things do you do every day that are "drop in the bucket" type activities?

I park at the far end of my office parking lot. This adds about 600 steps a day, 50 extra calories.

I also climb 4 flights of stairs to use the toilet. This burns about 30 extra calories per trip.

What tricks do you use?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I count calories religiously. If I change something I planned to eat for the day, I am re-logging.

Pre-logging is my biggest habit.

I also exercise 6 days a week and off 1 day. No extra steps or anything like that. I barely make 6,000 steps on cardio day..

But I do work the cardio so that I burn 400 calories each time!! If I am slow on the elliptical, I step up and work it faster so I hit the 400 calorie mark... Yeah it is a bit excessive, but I hit the target every time.

I just increase the weights on my barbell today so I took it slow.. I will be changing the reps/sets in a couple of weeks. This is all I do..
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I too park in the last spot, take the stairs when I can, March in place while brushing my teeth or cooking. I wear a pedometer and challenge myself to walk more steps the day before. It's amazing what big benefits we can obtain through small daily consistent changes.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep a list of errands I can run on my bicycle and when I have a few of them I go for it, skipping a car trip. It's easy to park and hardly takes any longer.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I too like to park as far away from the door as I can...but this time of year when it's below zero with wind chills...makes me not do it so often because I am a wimp when it comes to cold.

If I have to go down to the basement or upstairs for something, I do a few extra "trips" on the steps just to get some more steps in.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good tips! I think making the small changes and allowing time for them to work leads to the big results that we're looking for.
  • dnadeau597
    dnadeau597 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a standing desk. I work at home, so if I can fit it in I work out on a power tower and elliptical machine every day. I can almost always fit it in. It only takes 5 seconds to do 3 pull-ups. Eventually I'll get up to 10. Maybe.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat with my left hand. I'm right-handed, so it's a brain trick.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I used to have something I called "cricket exercises" every day when I woke up, which was 25 crunches, 10 push ups, and 10 chair lifts. Once my hand is un-broken I'm going back to it (I still try to do the crunches when I remember).

It was called "cricket" because I marked them off on my calendar the way you score a game of cricket in darts. I find it motivating to look at the cal and see that I have a good streak going... and sometimes if I miss a day, I'll try to make up for it by doubling up the next.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    whenever i'm tempted to overeat, i don't.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »

What wizardry is this?!
  • nicwoj99
    nicwoj99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    emaybe wrote: »
    bulbadoof wrote: »

Love this!! point blank hard truth and it's exactly what I need to start doing, no more excuses.

Each time I was successful at losing weight and getting in shape was by using MFP. keeping track of what I ate and how much I moved. when I did that and kept within my calorie range, I lost weight. Insanity videos helped too.....
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do squats while brushing my teeth
    Pelvic floor exercises every time in stopped at a red light
    I also vacuum and mop wearing high heels - this helps to tone my calf muscles
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    These are very cool! I especially like the idea of standing desk, and the crickets. Of course, the wizardry from bulbadoof, is the best! :)

I have two more to add:

I made my business calls today from my cell phone while I walked the hallways at my office. It was pretty cool.

I also do a core tightening exercise all the time. It's just tightening and holding your lower abdominal muscles. If you're doing it right, you can still talk and breathe normally. My physical therapist showed it to me.