How long until I am fit enough to do serious exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am currently 270 and I do vigorous exercise 5-6 days a week. I get tired fast but you go as fast as you can. It's been 5 weeks and I am already making huge fitness gains. Running might take some time but you can condition your body doing low impact stuff so when you're ready to run, you have a good cardiovascular base. Also, as the weight comes off, it just gets easier to move.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Even if it's only 10 minutes to start, just start walking every day. Add on 5 minutes every week. I weigh 400 lbs. I walk an hour a day. I go fairly slow. I up the speed for a few minutes when I feel I can, and then drop it down again because for me, that 60 minutes is my goal. I can do a faster pace for 30 minutes, but I prefer to go for a bit slower, because it keeps me moving more for longer.

I keep myself in my target heart rate. ANY type of additional movement will be beneficial to you, if you are completely sedentary right now. Your body will adjust. Push yourself gently, but stop if you ultimately need to stop. It will get a little easier each time, I promise.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are fit enough now to start a walk program. Set some goals for yourself - maybe a 1/2 mile to start. Walking is the best way to get moving. Running will come with time, but walk first. Get you body used to moving, getting your heart rate up, and being active on a schedule. Once it is used to that, you will know when you are ready for running. If you jump into running too soon, you will get discouraged. What you start running, start with a walk/run program to build endurance, breathing, etc.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Start out by walking, building up how far and how fast you can go. Add in bursts of jogging after a few weeks, slowly extending those until hey presto!, you're running the whole way :)

This is exactly what I was going to say! Today I walked 63 minutes and jogged 10 minutes. 5 of it at once which is a personal best for me. You have to start somewhere.

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did was find Leslie Sansone dvds get one at walmart for 9.00 . Buy one that has just walking . You will be amazed how soon you will be able to walk a mile.. I hadn't worked out in 5+ years and I couldn't walk the stairs without huffing and puffing. I was never obese but just had zero stamina tired all the time . Starting slow with the dvd brought me so much energy that now I can do her 4 mile dvd with jogging and barely break sweat. So you can work yourself up to running!!! Good luck
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between a couple months and never. There's only one way to find out.