Losing weight but getting fatter?

Options
hmmm Ok so I have been losing weight consistently 47 pounds since Oct still a long ways to go. I am already down 2 pounds from last weeks weigh in (Mondays). The issue I am having is that even though the numbers are going down I know my stomach is protruding farther than it was a week or 2 ago! I know this is not just in my head. It is not related to menstrual cycle or sodium. It is the upper portion of my abdomen. Any thoughts?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it may be that your boobs are shrinking, making your tummy look bigger?

do you measure yourself? that will tell you for sure if youre getting larger in a certain area.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Is it possible that it only seems proportionately larger than the areas around it?

My upper abs lose inches slower than my waist and bra band, so for months I couldn't go down shirt sizes without shirts seeming to cling there, while loose every where else.

Once I finally started losing inches there, I've gone down from an XL to M practically over night.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My boobs are shrinking!! :( but that isn't it. I don't measure myself. I know I really should but I know it is actually protruding more for a few reasons. A certain shirt I wear I can tell as well as my sister noticed. The way the seat belt fits me vs. 2 weeks ago.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    My upper abs lose inches slower than my waist and bra band, so for months I couldn't go down shirt sizes without shirts seeming to cling there, while loose every where else.

battling that now LOL

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tbh I kinda have a similar thing going on, and this is the 2nd time I've lost this weight.

What happens to me is that everything from my bra band up shrinks (bye bye, boobs). And everything from my glutes down ALSO shrinks. So that leaves my entire midsection, upper/lower abs, belly, most of my back, and my waist that just hang onto fat. Every morning I look in the mirror and think that my belly is more obvious than before... but it's just everything else shrinking. And maybe also my saggy boobs accentuating a droopy belly. Yeehaw.

Luckily this is my 2nd time around, so I know that the fat in my midsection will start to shrink around 10 lbs from where I am now, and everything will tone up and take care of itself.

Keep putting in the work! If you're one of those people who loses weight last in the midsection, you will be vindicated! Haha.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would really suggest you measure yourself.

Your shirt might have shrunk, who knows. My seatbelt always feels different when it's colder out vs. when it's warmer. I wouldn't trust those as an indicator.

Get a tape measure and start tracking your measurements.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Thank you all for responding :)
  • dgardner2010
    dgardner2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant and not know it?
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Are you pregnant and not know it?

NO!!! lol
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You said it was two weeks, may be bloating? Sometimes the period bloat starts whole two weeks early for me. Bloating from constipation can also show more in the middle abdomen than the lower.

On principle, if you are losing fat, your belly may seem to protrude mor *relatively* to other body parts, but it should not really be getting bigger in absolute terms. I suggest you measure to make sure.

Now, if it is getting bigger, it's more likely a bloat, but keep an eye on it if it doesn't stop or you feel discomfort because there are a lot of internal organs in there, and a stomach that grows while the rest of you shrinks could be a red flag - enlarged liver, hernia... Now don't freak out, just measure up to be sure. (And measure for a few days/weeks, one day's increase is likely just a temporary bloat). I agree that most likely the shirt shrank :) just wanted to put this out there as something to keep an eye on.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Measure so you know.

I do hips (largest part) belly (Largest part) and waist (smallest part)

I also do under bust, bust and neck.

It's great to look back and see progress.
  • lindseyrenee8
    lindseyrenee8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am noticing the same, gut sticking out but I'm loosing.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Start measuring. Our capacity as humans to delude ourselves when not faced with hard evidence is nearly unlimited.