Will losing 20 pounds make much of a difference?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are not very heavy to begin with,10 lbs are about a dress sizes, so, yes, there will be a difference! 2 lbs is normal weight fluctuation during the day, of course it is not noticeable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Progressive weight lifting as you eat at a defecit to maximise benefits then when at a decent body fat percentage you can judge whether to recomp or bulk and cut

I can lose and put on 2lb in 24 hours but 20lbs makes a difference
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Every 5 pounds makes a difference to me as to the way I feel and move. About every 20 pounds I lose seems to make a difference to others.
  • onelonelysocknoble
    onelonelysocknoble Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personal experience:
    Me at target weight= healthy looking neither too fat or too skinny
    Me + 10 to 14 lbs extra FAT= a tad overweight
    Me + 20 lbs extra of fat upwards (now) = a fair bit squishy around the edges.
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i think 25 pounds made a huge difference for me dont know how tall you are but I am a shorty.m3hxmbtxssqr.jpg
    k8yl4wi37du5.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 20 pounds yes, if you weigh 600, then no. think theres a site people post to where it shows height and weight pics. Arent you getting a bit ahead of yourself?
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to know the answer to this without knowing your height and current weight, but on anyone, 10 lbs is going to be more noticeable a loss than 2 lbs. From there, 10 lbs will be more noticeable depending on your current weight, height, and where your body decides to lose the weight. Some people, even people with a lot of weight to lose, may find 10 lbs lost more noticeable than other because they say, lose weight in their face first. Others will lose it in different areas. Regardless, you're going to notice your weight loss before others do, and let that be motivation to stay on track. Don't just focus on the numbers on the scale, but measure yourself as well. Others will notice later on, but even if only you do, and that brings you some confidence, makes you walk a little taller, and feel healthier, then it's 100% worth it.
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    It's difficult to know the answer to this without knowing your height and current weight, but on anyone, 10 lbs is going to be more noticeable a loss than 2 lbs. From there, 10 lbs will be more noticeable depending on your current weight, height, and where your body decides to lose the weight. Some people, even people with a lot of weight to lose, may find 10 lbs lost more noticeable than other because they say, lose weight in their face first. Others will lose it in different areas. Regardless, you're going to notice your weight loss before others do, and let that be motivation to stay on track. Don't just focus on the numbers on the scale, but measure yourself as well. Others will notice later on, but even if only you do, and that brings you some confidence, makes you walk a little taller, and feel healthier, then it's 100% worth it.

Well said thats good advice for everyone
  • ashleycde
    Options
    Thanks. Giving good advice, that's the goal.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Go look at some of the foto threads in the success stories! That will give you an idea what would be good for you.

Losing the weight and training your muscles at the same time is a good idea. It will help you keep your muscle mass, while losing fat. I find a mix of cardio and strength along with a good diet is a good path to take.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    here you can see my progress photo, you can see what 20lbs lost at various stages of fitness will show in change since each picture shows the current weight.

13968260091_5ee59ffb08_o.png
  • Que3nC
    Que3nC Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think 20lbs would make a difference....and I cant wait to see what I look like 20lbs down. I think its important to just keep at it and try taking measurements in addition to weighing because sometimes the scale just isn't as friendly as we would like. You might also want to try taking pictures of yourself and comparing them to some before pics. :) Your doing awesome, so keep at it!
  • Britt12110
    Options
    You may not SEE change, but you will feel it. You will begin to notice your clothes fitting looser, etc. :) Keep it up. You really won't know unless you keep moving forward!
  • ashleycde
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    here you can see my progress photo, you can see what 20lbs lost at various stages of fitness will show in change since each picture shows the current weight.

Your progress is awesome. You look great. You should share your height with the OP as well, to perhaps give him a sense of how his weight loss progression may look based on his weight and height.

Lose is so subjective. For me, my entire weight loss goal was 18 lbs when I started, so a 20 lb loss on me would be dramatic, as it's a little higher than my entire goal, and I have a very petite frame. I am now halfway to my goal weight, and I'd venture to say I look a lot smaller now than I did 8 lbs ago.
  • ashleycde
    Options
    ^ What ever you do OP, don't go to that link.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Help boost your weight loss by trying It Works products!
    seriously the best thing I've ever done towards my weight loss!
    wrapinflorida.com

BS
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm 6'2
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you don't think 20lbs will make a difference grab a 20 pound sack and carry it around for a bit. It will probably be exhausting. Your "looks" and how obvious it is will vary on your current weight and height. But generally speaking you will be able to see and feel a difference on 20 pounds.
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

I don't know what I'm more impressed with, the photos, the sticking with it or the fact that you kept the same phone that long lol :smiley:

OP, keep with it, I didn't notice at 2lbs or 20lbs, but everyone else did. My clothes felt different at 20lbs, but I didn't really feel any different. A friend and I came to the conclusion that fat kids (not you, obviously, but us...) will always feel larger than they are because we're used to taking up more space.
  • ff462legoman
    Options
    I haven't responded to this in ages but I just wanted to say thanks for all the responses! Very motivational :)