Is Anyone Else Here Not Really Tracking Their Food Seriously?

Options

Replies

• FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    kershaann wrote: »
    I log everything love this site! I am using it now to gain some more muscle.

I love this site, too :) Good luck with your goals!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying to log everything at the moment. Since November, I only logged on days where I was being 'good' (subjective term) and wouldn't log on days where I was eating whatever I wanted. Unsurprisingly, I didn't lose any weight between November and 2 weeks ago. Gave myself a kick in the *kitten* and have been logging everything again and have lost 2kg in 2 weeks. But of course, my eating has been a lot better because I've knuckled down. I suck at intuitive eating though, I'd intuitively eat an entire buffet.
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    I'm actually trying to log everything at the moment. Since November, I only logged on days where I was being 'good' (subjective term) and wouldn't log on days where I was eating whatever I wanted. Unsurprisingly, I didn't lose any weight between November and 2 weeks ago. Gave myself a kick in the *kitten* and have been logging everything again and have lost 2kg in 2 weeks. But of course, my eating has been a lot better because I've knuckled down. I suck at intuitive eating though, I'd intuitively eat an entire buffet.

Great job!
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    i am currently on a one month ban of logging and it is driving me nuts cant wait till april first when i log again...you know...science and such

I'd love to hear how it goes!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I log religiously at the moment. I have about 19lbs to loose. I wonder if maybe once I hit my target I'll relax a little bit or even stop but until i get there and see how easy it is to maintain I think logging obsessively is the only way for me. I'm an all or nothing kind of person!

I'm also enjoying the forums. I came to 'fitness' late in life and I have so much to learn and it's a great place to find like minded people to learn from
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I track it seriously. However, I only got really serious about my deficit last week, lol. But that's ok, because I've been putting effort into my workouts, and things seem to be tightening up, may not have been a bad thing. I don't have too much to lose - a bit of regain after injury - so it's not really stressing me out.
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    I log religiously at the moment. I have about 19lbs to loose. I wonder if maybe once I hit my target I'll relax a little bit or even stop but until i get there and see how easy it is to maintain I think logging obsessively is the only way for me. I'm an all or nothing kind of person!

I'm also enjoying the forums. I came to 'fitness' late in life and I have so much to learn and it's a great place to find like minded people to learn from
    I'm so glad I asked about this, it's making me realise different people respond to different ways of approaching things.

tomatoey wrote: »
    I track it seriously. However, I only got really serious about my deficit last week, lol. But that's ok, because I've been putting effort into my workouts, and things seem to be tightening up, may not have been a bad thing. I don't have too much to lose - a bit of regain after injury - so it's not really stressing me out.

Sounds like it's working! I have the injury regain stuff I'm dealing with at the moment too, injuries suck!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped tracking. I found that when I track, I push the numbers. I eat right up to the point of maintenance, and if I exercise, I track that too, and eat back those calories. I end up making it almost like a game to see how much food I can pack in those numbers. I guess it's hard to take too seriously since I don't have much to lose, and I'm lifting and don't want to inhibit muscle growth.

But I find that I'm eating less when I don't track, because I'm paying more attention to my body's signals instead of planning out an entire day's worth of food to maximize my macros and cals. I've actually lost almost 3 pounds this week just from only eating when hungry. I've even included potato chips, Bixby bars and ice cream, and haven't weighed any portions, so I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm going to see if this trend continues.

I cant wait to get to this point!! On my first week I did exactly as you say - I did the math to try and fit as much food in as possible. I did the same on slimming world. It was a challenge to see how much food I could eat for as few syns as possible.

I'm hoping that when I get to my target I'll be experienced enough to be able to maintain as you do. Congrats!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I'm so glad I asked about this, it's making me realise different people respond to different ways of approaching things.

tomatoey wrote: »

Sounds like it's working! I have the injury regain stuff I'm dealing with at the moment too, injuries suck!

Ah, sorry :/ Yeah, they really do! It's annoying and frustrating to have to do rehab and work around them. But, patience = progress (vs. rushing it and making things worse). Hope you're feeling better!
  • FunkenWagnel
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not too bad at the moment, I'm just trying to be careful about introducing new exercise, so I don't end up bed ridden again, lol! That's what'll put more weight on in the end!
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I track everything except veggies(unless it's frozen), handfuls of blueberries, and reduced sugar ketchup. Otherwise I weigh and track everything.
  • newgirl72
    newgirl72 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I never learned good eating habits and also never learned only to eat when my body signals that its hungry. My entire life I've been an over-eater. I've been measuring and tracking every morsel I put in my mouth for the past two months, and that combined with Crossfit 3x per week, I have lost 30 pounds in just over two months.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds without seriously tracking. Now that I'm getting closer to my goal I decided to buy a food scale.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't log food and can't really imagine doing so for any extended period of time. When I first found this website I was just trying to drop a few pounds and also support my girlfriend at the time, in her weight loss efforts. Logging was an eye opener to calorie dense foods and pitfalls. once I saw that and addressed my habits I am able to maintain, go up or down without logging. I'm only still here because of the forums and friends I've made.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I log seriously. I need to. I'm terrible at eyeballing portions.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This has had me curious for a while. Some days, when I remember and can be bothered, I track my food on this site/app. I like to be reminded of what's in food :)

My other question is, if you're not terribly worried about tracking your food, why do you use this site? Personally, I'm mostly interested in tracking my results and getting into discussions and reading about health/food/fitness topics.

This describes me too. I like seeing the macro breakdown of what I'm eating. I like reading and discussing health, food, and fitness.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I started logging on here when I was trying to slowly gain a bit of muscle. However, I stopped after a few weeks after I decided to reassess my goals. That being said, I still have a reasonable estimate of the amount of calories I'm eating each day. I think I do better mentally without the meticulous logging.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I only track my food when I'm trying to achieve some goal. Right now I'm trying to do a body recomp, but mainly I'm keeping an eye on my protein because I feel like my diet has gotten too carb-heavy again. It's sort of like yearly rebalancing of your mutual funds.

Other than that, I just make sure I'm eating enough to support my workouts and don't worry about it unless the weight on the bar starts dropping.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I log but don't weigh or measure. The weight's coming off at an acceptable rate without that level of detail.

This is me. I want a general guess of how much I eat, but don't get into weighing and measuring everything. I have lost some, but I am more focused on the look and like the way that I have changed the way I look. It is definitely an eye opener to pay attention to how many calories different foods have and the portion sizes. I use the diary more to see the general amounts of nutrients. It also motivates me to exercise when i have seen a general amount that I have ate. I think I would go crazy if I had to weigh and measure everything but it definitely works for a lot of people...just not me.