LEAN IT UP! (Memorial Day 2015 Challenge)

Options

Replies

• kateraichu
    kateraichu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    unhgoose wrote: »
    I've been doing great with my food and have kept up my new exercise plan.

I think I freaked out my body a little though. My weight's been up a few pounds since I started though, and I've been sore from the exercising. I'm assuming it's water retention from muscles that are a little shocked at all the work I'm making them do.

I'm glad this challenge has a nice distant goal because it's taking me a little bit to get into the groove in terms of water weight and adjusting to regular (more challenging) exercise.

Last year this time I was easily doing these same DVDs, but apparently I slacked off more than I'd realized since last fall. It's crazy to me how challenging they are right now.

OMG, I'm having the exact same dilemma right now! I joined a gym near my workplace, started going in the mornings, and freaked out because my scale is now going up instead of down. I've even been tracking my eating much more closely and was really surprised that I wasn't getting the results I wanted. But, I'm sure my freaking out is for nothing and my body is just retaining water. So if my weight goes up this week on the spreadsheet, this is why! :p
  • britters12
    britters12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can go and edit it .. it's open to all :) my plan is to increase my workout sessions from 2 to 5 per week. Drink a lot more water and fewer cheat meals. I'm thinking of following kayla itsines workout routine .. let's see how that goes!

I just started her workout this week! I am so sore but I absolutely love it. I think it's definitely worth a try!
  • lycheenmango
    lycheenmango Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @michellemybelll‌ -Absolutely you can join in!
  • kateraichu
    kateraichu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I have this support group because Memorial Day weekend was my goal's time limit anyway :smiley: What is everyone doing over Memorial Day, especially to celebrate all of our weight goals? I'll be going on a road trip with my family (I never see them, they live down in Texas and I'm in NYC) It's a great feeling when you don't see someone for a long time and then when they see you again, they comment on weight you've lost.
  • lycheenmango
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @unhgoose - That's awesome! I am glad this challenge is helping you .... what kind of workouts are you doing, just out of curiosity :)

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before but my plan for this challenge is to measure my progress in 3 ways:

- Measure using a measure tape (for inches lost) - once a month at least

- Take before and after pictures - once a month at least

- Weigh myself on the scale - once a week for our check-ins :)

Why I feel this is important is because our weight can keep fluctuating because of many reasons (water weight, gaining muscle and what not, so to avoid getting discouraged by measuring just this one data point I plan on trying all of the 3 progress check techniques above).

So in addition to this spreadsheet (which is important) I would suggest doing the photos/inches lost measures too just to measure your all up progress.
  • LogicalDaydreamer
    LogicalDaydreamer Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Thanks! Happy to be here!

- - - - - -

Today was a challenging day, food-wise and life-wise, but despite some unauthorized snacking, I think I've come out of it unscathed. Just hoping that it won't skew my check-in too much!

I definitely experienced the increased water-weight when I first added more exercise to my routine. Seems to be less of an issue now, but I am sending good vibes to all of the sore muscles on the thread! :D

We don't celebrate Memorial Day in Canada, but the date works out nicely as that time period represents a shift in my living situation, so it would be really lovely to be at or near my goal wait so I can focus on finding maintenance instead of loss!
  • itslouiejay
    itslouiejay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I would like to! Want to lean up before the summer :)
  • LogicalDaydreamer
    LogicalDaydreamer Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I would like to! Want to lean up before the summer :)

I'm not in charge, but it doesn't look like it's too late by any stretch! :)
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    @LogicalDaydreamer‌ - All the best for the challenge. And a great way to look at a challenging day ... I am sure you will have much better days coming up ahead!

Yep, it's not too late at all! Everyone is free to join whenever they want to, as long as it is before the Memorial Day :)
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    It is great to see soo many people who have joined the challenge!

Don't forget to add your numbers for Friday :) I just added mine ... and yay my total loss is up from 0.4 to 2.8 :)
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kateraichu wrote: »

OMG, I'm having the exact same dilemma right now! I joined a gym near my workplace, started going in the mornings, and freaked out because my scale is now going up instead of down. I've even been tracking my eating much more closely and was really surprised that I wasn't getting the results I wanted. But, I'm sure my freaking out is for nothing and my body is just retaining water. So if my weight goes up this week on the spreadsheet, this is why! :p

It took about a week and a half of regular exercise but things are moving the right direction again scale wise. It's so frustrating when you're putting extra effort into watching what you eat and watching the scale go up. But I just keep telling myself you did NOT eat an extra pounds worth of food just be patient.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @unhgoose - That's awesome! I am glad this challenge is helping you .... what kind of workouts are you doing, just out of curiosity :)

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before but my plan for this challenge is to measure my progress in 3 ways:

- Measure using a measure tape (for inches lost) - once a month at least

- Take before and after pictures - once a month at least

- Weigh myself on the scale - once a week for our check-ins :)

I'm doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution - I started on weeks 5 and 6. And then on weekends I'll add in a jog or do a different DVD. I'm also trying to do yoga once a week at some point.

I've had great luck with the JM routines. JM Ripped in 30 followed by Body Revolution had me in the best shape of my life last year (still a few pounds away from a bikini but sooo close I could taste it). Then towards the end of the summer I switched Chalean Extreme, and I don't think my form was good enough because my back started to hurt so I stopped that one. Since then I've tried PiYo but that wasn't really working for me either. JM just works really well for me, and I can squeeze in 35 minutes before everyone wakes up.

It's been a while since I've done measurements so I'm going to do that tomorrow and take progress pics. I have so many pics of me standing around in a sports bra on my computer from the last few years that it is ridiculous. But ones that accurately reflect where I'm at now would be a good thing to have. I have some from a few years ago where I'm 15 lbs heavier, and it always cheers me up to see the difference.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This spreadsheet is helping me by just providing a real-time variety of what other people's progress looks like. Sometimes the success stories of people consistently losing 2.5+ pounds a week or 100 lbs in a year can make me feel like I am not trying hard enough or am defective or something.

We are all different and I can see this on the spreadsheet :)
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am very late but I added myself. Hope that's ok!
  • snorklr
    snorklr Posts: 28
    Options
    Unhgoose and Kate...
    I am up in weight too. Discouraging. Ate perfectly I thought for 8 out of past 9 days and up a pound.
    I am getting more exercise though... Y'all think that's what it is?
    I'm going to hang in there...

Weight today 167 - lychee can you please put in for me? Thanks.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just keep going! Bodies are weird and you might see-saw for weeks or even months and then start losing again. Weigh and measure your food, exercise consistently; as long as the month-over-month trend stays steady or goes down, that is progress.
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    @snorklr‌ - added your update :) Well, what is important is you have been eating healthy so I don't think the one pound gain is anything to be blah about. Would definitely recommend using the measuring tape and before/after pictures methods to see if there is improvement in those areas.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    blargh. added mine. up 0.2 - really thought i'd see a slight decline. ah well, maybe next week.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    rough weekend over here last weekend. can I have one more day? ah well. 133 :/
  • Simbaby09
    Simbaby09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not much this week but the drive to achieve goal is what matters. Goodluck all