New Bra Question

Options
Just wondering at what point people buy new bras as they lose weight. Did you buy a couple ever cup size or two? Or how do you adjust to dropping sizes? I've lost 12 pounds since January and now my bras a cupish size too big, but I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to buy new ones before I hit my goal weight (11 - 21 more lbs).

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im down 22 pounds and 4" in my bust. i broke down and bought a sports/camisole type bra until my boobs figure out what size they want to be :/
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I live off sports bras for the most part to be honest, both strap width and cup size have gone down over the last year it definitely wasn't worth it to buy a whole new batch of bras every time they stopped fitting right and sports bras seem to fit better for longer during the in between phases.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have to buy new sports bra's when they get to big or else the sports bra's do no good. I actually don't own any regular bras right now, because I need overly expensive bra's (cheap brands don't come in my size). With my current budget my choice is either an everyday bra or sports bra. I go with the sports bra so I can workout.

Currently, when they start to get to big, I take my measurements and buy a slightly smaller size than what I currently wear. For example, when my 38 G started to get to big, I bought a 36E which is actually now starting to fit (about a month after I bought it).
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I'm probably the exception, but I don't drop bra sizes very quickly. Although I've dropped 56 pounds, dropped five pant sizes, and went from tight XXL to M/L shirts, I have only gone from 40H to 36H.

I bought new bras when my original ones weren't providing any support and could fit a sock or two to fill up the cups. At my bra size, I have to buy new every 6-12 months anyway, so that's generally the time frame when I start to reaccess.

I'm sure you'll find that many other ladies drop bra sizes much faster though and may give different advice.

On a sidenote, I'd love to get down to a D cup so I can buy bras from normal stores!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When the old one starts bagging. Hasn't happened yet, so I guess my body likes my girls :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I bought new once I noticed the change.
  • kaylangrandorff
    kaylangrandorff Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I work as a swim instructor so I stick to sports bras and tank tops with the built in bra to add extra support. It holds the twins. They have not gotten smaller even after losing 21 lb out of 40ish lb. I hope that they don't go away. I will miss them. The only thing that has gone down is I went from a 40D to a 38D.
  • KarenFord1988
    Options
    I went from a 38 DD to now a 36 B -- I just broke down and bought the B last weekend. In between, I bought a 36 C, and it worked okay since it was padded, but I really needed to get one that fit better. Hard pill to swallow at $50 a bra (I really like Victoria Secret bras, so that's what I buy.) Of course, I'm very happy about my weight loss, but not happy about losing the boobage!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I went from a 38 DD to now a 36 B -- I just broke down and bought the B last weekend. In between, I bought a 36 C, and it worked okay since it was padded, but I really needed to get one that fit better. Hard pill to swallow at $50 a bra (I really like Victoria Secret bras, so that's what I buy.) Of course, I'm very happy about my weight loss, but not happy about losing the boobage!

I currently wear a 30F, and I hear you on the cost! I go to a lingerie store to get fitted about every 30 pounds down, buy one, and then hit up eBay for the same size & style (new with tags) for a fraction of the cost of retail stores. If you're fond of Vicky's bras, you might check eBay to see if you can find them for less than $50 a pop.
  • Farm_Girl_Strong
    Farm_Girl_Strong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the exception, but I don't drop bra sizes very quickly. Although I've dropped 56 pounds, dropped five pant sizes, and went from tight XXL to M/L shirts, I have only gone from 40H to 36H.

I bought new bras when my original ones weren't providing any support and could fit a sock or two to fill up the cups. At my bra size, I have to buy new every 6-12 months anyway, so that's generally the time frame when I start to reaccess.

I'm sure you'll find that many other ladies drop bra sizes much faster though and may give different advice.

On a sidenote, I'd love to get down to a D cup so I can buy bras from normal stores!!!

This is actually a huge change in breast size. The sister size (cup matching not band) for a 36H is a 40G or 40F depending on bra company.

So actually you may get to a D at on point depending on the rest of your weight loss.

Congrats on the amazing progress so far!!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just being cheap. I currently wear a 34FF and my husband noticed the fit is off, so I guess it's time. I'm thinking I might buy a couple more sports bras, as I have a couple that are still okay and buy one or two regulars.

Thanks Ladies!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    If they aren't fitting you, now is the time. None of your clothing will look right without good bras.

In almost 4 years of weight loss and around 90 pounds down...the only thing that has changed is my band--by one size. I was able to go back to a couple of slightly smaller bras that I had before the weight gain. Many of my bras spanned the gap. I just started to buy lots of new ones about a year ago.

You may not need to change a bunch of times. Now jeans...I've had to buy completely new jeans 6 times. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I invested in new bras at every size. I CAN'T STAND a bra that doesn't fit.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When they stopped being supportive, I had no more smaller hooks to use, and the cups were gapping/wrinkly, I knew it was time.
    I first got new bras when I was down 40 lb, because NOTHING fit, I had no support.
    And bras aren't something I can take in, as I can pants.
    Not too long ago I got a couple more nice daily wear bras in an even smaller size.

Tried using my older bras for exercise, but they started working themselves open (embarrassing!) so I got a couple cheap $5 ones from a big-box store just for working out. They're getting a bit large, but are made of microfiber knit so they have more room for change than the good ones.
    Once I got supportive workout bras, I had the comfort & confidence to try jogging. (Me, jogging! Who woulda thunk?) :astonished::sweat_smile:
    51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    And for the people who think they haven't lost volume because their cup size stayed the same...
    The cup size is not absolute, it's relative.
    A D cup means that the points are 4" larger circumference than the band.
    An F cup means that there's a 6" difference.
    But a 30F is much smaller than a 40F.
    In volume, a 30F would equal: 32E, 34D, 36C, 38B, 40A.
    That's why if you're trying a new brand and your normal size doesn't fit, try one band size either way & 1 cup size either way. (Up one band size & down one cup size, or vice versa.)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to hold off on buying new bras until I get to my goal weight, since they're quite expensive. Mine are getting very big and baggy though, so I'll see if I can hold out. My old bras are 34DDD, and by the same measurement standard I'd now be a 28F (though most likely I'll get some 32Ds since they're easier to find).

I did, however, get a new sports bra this month, since my old one was not doing its job.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Luckily I have some bras that I couldn't wear before or was very uncomfortable and are kind of lose now. I have several sports bras and bought some a couple weeks ago that are XL instead of 2XL!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, do it. Proper fit is really important. (Says the person who always delays it because she feels guilty about the cost. And suffers. Then buys proper ones and wonders why she does that to herself. Don't be like me!)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is a crime against humanity…..