Body Fat Questions

Options
So I got measured by a competitive edge scale today and I have a few questions about it.

How accurate are those scales? I know nothing is as accurate as something like a DEXA scan, but on a scale of 1-10?

Next, it showed my BF% as 33. I know this is on the higher end of average - but is it terrible? If my non-fat mass is 110 pounds, what's a good weight for me?

I'm 5'5", and my weight is 160 (though their scale showed 166, but I was fully clothed and post lunch). So assuming my non-fat mass stays the same, and I lost 15 more pounds, my body fat would be 24%, right? Is that a more acceptable number?

I'm sorry, I don't really know much about this stuff. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate woman. There is no way you're 33%
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's an 8 out of 10... as long as it's a magic 8 ball. That's about where the accuracy is.

sd-1.jpg?w=300&h=300
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's an 8 out of 10... as long as it's a magic 8 ball. That's about where the accuracy is.

sd-1.jpg?w=300&h=300

Okay that made me lol

Thanks for letting me know - I really should have known better at this point.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

You don't think? I'm still on the hunt for a Bod Pod or DEXA.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

have you thought about asking Sara and Sidesteel for an estimate? They have a thread in their ETP (Eat Train Progress) group you can post pictures to get an estimate or you can PM one of them to have it reviewed privately. (Just make sure to check out which picture poses they need in the thread of the group pertaining to body fat estimates)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the scale; never ran into one.
    it showed my BF% as 33. I know this is on the higher end of average - but is it terrible? If my non-fat mass is 110 pounds, what's a good weight for me?

I'm 5'5", and my weight is 160. So assuming my non-fat mass stays the same, and I lost 15 more pounds, my body fat would be 24%, right? Is that a more acceptable number?
    Here's a body fat calculator which works from your measurements.
    Try it & see how it compares to what you were told.
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

If you click the down arrow underneath where it tells you your results, it shows you a table.
    (It's formatted differently, but won't copy correctly here.)

Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10%-13%
    Athletic 14%-20%
    Fit 21%-24%
    Acceptable 25%-31%
    Obese 32% +

Men (% fat)
    Essential Fat 2%-5%
    Athletic 6%-13%
    Fit 14%-17%
    Acceptable 18%-25%
    Obese 26% +

As for a healthy weight, going by BMI you should be 115 - 145. So you're not too far above a healthy weight range.

This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various food groups to eat to maintain a weight based on how active you are.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    have you thought about asking Sara and Sidesteel for an estimate? They have a thread in their ETP (Eat Train Progress) group you can post pictures to get an estimate or you can PM one of them to have it reviewed privately. (Just make sure to check out which picture poses they need in the thread of the group pertaining to body fat estimates)

Ohh I didn't know they would do that - I'll look into. Thank you so much! <3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I KNOW you're not! Go look in the mirror!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    it showed my BF% as 33. I know this is on the higher end of average - but is it terrible? If my non-fat mass is 110 pounds, what's a good weight for me?

I'm 5'5", and my weight is 160. So assuming my non-fat mass stays the same, and I lost 15 more pounds, my body fat would be 24%, right? Is that a more acceptable number?

If you click the down arrow underneath where it tells you your results, it shows you a table.

Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10%-13%
    Athletic 14%-20%
    Fit 21%-24%
    Acceptable 25%-31%
    Obese 32% +

Men (% fat)
    Essential Fat 2%-5%
    Athletic 6%-13%
    Fit 14%-17%
    Acceptable 18%-25%
    Obese 26% +

As for a healthy weight, going by BMI you should be 115 - 145. So you're not too far above a healthy weight range.

This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various food groups to eat to maintain a weight based on how active you are.

I do not recommend the body fat calculators. Out of the various methods to estimate body fat percentages, that's the least accurate in my experience.

Here's a link about the different methods to measuring fat (it belongs to the ETP group so if you were trying to find it/figure out how to get there, here it is :D)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Ohh I didn't know they would do that - I'll look into. Thank you so much! <3

Yeah. Just give them at least a few days to review. They get pretty bombarded :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I KNOW you're not! Go look in the mirror!

Oh CEPT, them girls...*cough
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You bought the scale? Just use that number for a trend, if you want. And then compare that to what you see in the mirror, and to those pics of people at different bf%s.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've read that waist circumference is a reasonable indicator:

Waist circumference is the simplest and most common way to measure “abdominal obesity”—the extra fat found around the middle that is an important factor in health, even independent of BMI. It’s the circumference of the abdomen, measured at the natural waist (in between the lowest rib and the top of the hip bone), the umbilicus (belly button), or at the narrowest point of the midsection.
    Strengths

Easy to measure
    Inexpensive
    Strongly correlated with body fat in adults as measured by the most accurate methods
    Studies show waist circumference predicts development of disease and death

Limitations

Measurement procedure has not been standardized
    Lack of good comparison standards (reference data) for waist circumference in children
    May be difficult to measure and less accurate in individuals with a BMI of 35 or higher

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-definition/how-to-measure-body-fatness/#waist-circumference
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    No, I didn't buy one, just got weighed at the place I buy my Quest bars.

My waist is 34", so I know I still have work to do.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10%-13%
    Athletic 14%-20%
    Fit 21%-24%
    Acceptable 25%-31%
    Obese 32% +

Men (% fat)
    Essential Fat 2%-5%
    Athletic 6%-13%
    Fit 14%-17%
    Acceptable 18%-25%
    Obese 26% +

23% and fit according to that

I reckon that's out by about 2 and I'm more like 25%

But heck, I'll take it :grinning:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that most women's estimates of their body fat % are far off. Look at post #356 on this page. She is 31% per DEXA. 31% does not look as flabby (for lack of a better word) as most people think.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123726731&page=12

Look through the rest of that thread at other DEXA scanned ladies and you may be surprised at the bf percentages.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    That other calculator gave me 33% too. Guess I have some work to do :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that most women's estimates of their body fat % are far off. Look at post #356 on this page. She is 31% per DEXA. 31% does not look as flabby (for lack of a better word) as most people think.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123726731&page=12

Look through the rest of that thread at other DEXA scanned ladies and you may be surprised at the bf percentages.

That was really interesting, thank you.

I really do have fat that I need to get rid of, so I'm okay with being 33% bf right now - only place that number is going is down :)