Help :( 2 Months after ACL surgery...

Options
I am about 2 months out after having ACL reconstruction surgery. While physical therapy has helped and got me moving, it's just not enough to help keeping me active. I can't really go to the gym (financial reasons), I don't own a bike, and there are days when I can hardly walk. Since the surgery, all I have done is gain weight. Trying to change my eating and I'm back to counting calories, but I can't seem to get the fire going again.

A little while back, I asked about some good cardio I could do to help. While I found one video on YouTube of a seated cardio routine... it's not really the best.

I think I lost my way somewhere, and trying to get back on track again. Has anyone else out there gone through the same thing as me? How can I jump-start myself to getting back on track?

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. ACL repair takes 6 months recovery and at least a full year before you feel "normal," meaning you don't favor your injured knee anymore.

I had an ACL repair and it seemed like forever before I could get back to normal physical activity, but I was able to walk with my leg brace on. You should be able to do at least that. Be patient - it does take time and you are pretty limited for quite a while, but I promise you that you will be able to engage in normal activity again. I can do everything I did before (weight training - including squats, run the bleachers, step aerobics, martial arts, etc). You will, too. :)
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've not been through ACL surgery but I understand it is a tough recovery. Depending upon what you are cleared to do by the physician you may find some free work out videos on line fit star has some on demand has some as well. Now more than ever it's important to keep your calories in check and any movement you can do (even the seated cardio routine) is better than nothing. You've been through a lot but the worst is behind you and you will get stronger everyday!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL completely ten years ago. I never had surgery, but I did a year of physical therapy.

If I were you, I would be in the pool. If you can't afford the gym, maybe there is a pool nearby that you can go to several days a week.

Do you know about the PBS program Sit and Be Fit? Lots of people seem to like the Leslie Sansone walking videos--those might be worth checking out.
  • krystalvenom
    Options
    I had my ACL replaced in 2007, I did the physical therapy but still had problems after completely bending my knee or squating down for probably about a year. The mobility will come, it takes time for sure. I found that swimming helped and light cycling. Be patient, I know it's hard. Good luck!!
  • Sylaethus
    Sylaethus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the motivation. :) It feels good to know that there are others out there who have been through this. Sadly there is no pool I can use unless I sign up with the YWCA nearby, but that costs money... and I don't have the finances for that at the moment. I used to be a swimmer in high school, so swimming comes naturally. It's just that money thing.

azulvioleta6: I haven't heard of the PBS program, but I am going to be taking the time to look into it now. Thank you so much!