Juice Fasting?

Options
Serioisly? Just saw "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead" and am wondering your take on Juice Fasting and how it applies to a very active lifestyle and IIFYM...

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So the guy had a life crisis and turned to fast food after a couple of years. Not sure that generalises to everyone
    What I hope is that the people out there like me who try and fail and try again will see Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 2 and recognize their own story. I hope they do what I did — raise their hand, say "I'm struggling," and begin again. I am determined to stay on this path. I may screw up sometimes, but if I do, I'll start over, with the help of my friends
  • yarwell
    Options
    A week of vigorous exercise on juice / smoothies alone may be a way to kick start a change of approach but you wouldn't need to continue in that way for weight loss. Calorie intake is likely to be below 1200 so works best for the obese.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Juicing is just a form of crash dieting. You might get much more vitamins by juicing your vedgies, but if you don't eat enough fat some won't be properly absorb.

Like @yarwell just said, it might be a good short way to kickstart a diet for a couple of days, but doing it for 60 days like in the movie is not a good idea.

I tried juicing for 3 days many years ago and I felt horrible. Juicing involves no sodium, so you get extremely dehydrated and light headed. Quite frankly If I wanted a short kickstart I would do 800 calories for a week with actual food and proteins over that.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds like just another one of those BS hippie diets like raw foods and those diets where all you have is water with chili powder and/or lemon in it.

Just eat real food and log your calories.
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I watched "fat, sick & nearly dead" last year, and though the guy did really transform himself, overall it felt very much like the end goal of the documentary was to carve out a diet industry niche and make money.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you too lazy to chew?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First question would be why. What is the person trying to achieve?

Second question would be for how long - world of difference on the effects of fasting or restriction depending on duration.

As for how does it fit into IIFYM (the concept not the website) then it could be a perfect fit - but only if the person sets ridiculously low and probably detrimental fat and protein goals.
  • wintergirl992015
    wintergirl992015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast because I was a bridesmaid in a wedding. It worked and I didn't gain the weight back.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Isn't it 95% of diets that fail long term, as the person returns to their previous eating habits and consequent upward progression of weight vs time ?

My mistake - it was 80% http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.full
    -
    There is a general perception that almost no one succeeds in long-term maintenance of weight loss. However, research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y
    -
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    G4QbkbX.gif
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Serioisly? Just saw "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead" and am wondering your take on Juice Fasting and how it applies to a very active lifestyle and IIFYM...

To reframe your question ... how does a LCD that is missing two of three macronutrients apply to an active lifestyle and IIFYM?
  • yarwell
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    In these studies, overweight tends to mean pre obese or obese.

like the trucker in the movie, who was beyond obese. Sounds like he did better than 80% of people do keeping his weight off for more than a year so that's hardly a condemnation of the method he used.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love juicing, but it's not for everyone. You have to be careful if you decide to drink only juice because it is difficult to accurately tell whether or not you are staying above a healthy minimum of calories.

I like to drink it along with eating. :)
  • errantbehavior
    errantbehavior Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I watched "fat, sick & nearly dead" last year, and though the guy did really transform himself, overall it felt very much like the end goal of the documentary was to carve out a diet industry niche and make money.

The documentary is free on Netflix... All you need is a juicer, which he does not have his own brand of. There's no book to buy... What is he selling? Eat more fruits and veggies?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

The documentary is free on Netflix... All you need is a juicer, which he does not have his own brand of. There's no book to buy... What is he selling? Eat more fruits and veggies?

Um....he sells Breville.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

People associated with weight loss programs often sell their "expertise" even when they aren't pushing specific products. He's selling himself.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just watched the 2nd move where he promotes the re-boost or whatever. Basically all these people did the juicing for a while, then gained it all back got fat again and then started all over. Over and over again. Seriously - they were putting it out like it was a fabulous thing this re-boost but to me it just proved it doesn't work long term.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I just watched the 2nd move where he promotes the re-boost or whatever. Basically all these people did the juicing for a while, then gained it all back got fat again and then started all over. Over and over again. Seriously - they were putting it out like it was a fabulous thing this re-boost but to me it just proved it doesn't work long term.

There are stickers all over juicing machines that now reference the filmed failure of sustained weight loss.
  • aislingbury
    aislingbury Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    After seeing the film I decided to try it last summer and managed 5 days. Whilst juicing I cycled for about an hour on three of those days and had an active job as a waitress. I was exhausted but had difficulty sleeping and as a result I was grumpy because I couldn't eat or sleep. I lost 0.8kg. I know other people who have felt great on it after the first two or three days but I think if you exercise and have an active lifestyle then it just doesn't work.
    I'm thinking about doing it again this summer but NOT as a substitute for food but as a way of getting more nutrients. I love my current exercise regime (1.5 hrs, 5 days a week) and I'm not going to give that up!
    I think it's worth doing to get more nutrients but as most people on this feed have already said, it is not a long term weight loss solution.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Very badly.

Not a smart move because most people, including one of the film's stars, put it back on again.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-15359/i-was-the-poster-boy-for-weight-loss-then-i-gained-200-pounds.html

It's pretty unsustainable.

The guy's story includes one of depression stemming from a failed marriage. He stopped caring about his eating habits because he was depressed.

That can and does happen to anyone...including people NOT using crash diet methods. This article and this guy's experience is hardly a judgment against juicing..