Heart Rate Zone confusion?

When I walk I walk fast and am always in the fat burn zone and when I run I'm always in the peak according to my hr monitor! So in real terms if I want to lose fat am I best walking a lot? What is the difference I'm so confused! Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You can safely ignore any "fat burning zone" - all exercise is good, a variety is good, and weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • Mrskmacca
    Mrskmacca Posts: 44 Member
    You can safely ignore any "fat burning zone" - all exercise is good, a variety is good, and weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Ok thanks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Mrskmacca wrote: »
    When I walk I walk fast and am always in the fat burn zone and when I run I'm always in the peak according to my hr monitor! So in real terms if I want to lose fat am I best walking a lot? What is the difference I'm so confused! Thanks.

A slightly lower proportion of a big number, is still higher than a higher proportion of a small number. If you run then you move for more distance in the specified time, so you expend more energy.

In practice it's more about the calorie deficit than the exercise, so running will give you greater aerobic capacity to build anything else on and complement the loss.

• From your daily activity log I would say you're doing great. Keep at it !
  • paulpaul187
    paulpaul187 Posts: 13 Member
    Mrskmacca wrote: »

A slightly lower proportion of a big number, is still higher than a higher proportion of a small number. If you run then you move for more distance in the specified time, so you expend more energy.

In practice it's more about the calorie deficit than the exercise, so running will give you greater aerobic capacity to build anything else on and complement the loss.
    Couldn't of said it better great advice!