Confused about calorie deficit

Options
Hello Everyone!
Since I am so poor at math, can anyone explain the phenomenon of calorie deficit to me? I am so confused about it. For instance, if myfitnesspal tells me that my daily calorie goal is 1410 (after calculating my current weight, height, age and activity level and a goal of losing 0.5 kg per week) how many calories should I consume in a day and how many should I burn through a 30-minute exercise everyday in order to create a deficit. I am told that I shouldn't consume less than 1200 calories a day. So if my goal is 1410 calories per day how many should I lessen 250 calories from my food intake and burn 250 through exercise to create a 500-calorie deficit a day in order to lose 1 lbs a week (3500 calories a week)?
But then, i will be consuming 1160 calories from food if I subtract 250 calories from my 1410 goal whereas I am not supposed to consume less than 1200 calories each day. So confusing! Can anyone please explain this math to me in easy words? :/

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You should consume the 1410. MFP has already calculated the deficit for you based on the information you entered. When you exercise, MFP will add the calories you burn and enter into your exercise diary to your daily allowance. Eat back half of those.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Just pick a number, track your progress and then make adjustments, oh, and track is around 12 weeks, not a few days