Treadmill workout and Fitness Tracker

Options
Ive been doing a various brisk speed work out on my treadmill. I actually clear out my fitness tracker(monitor) before I start. It gave me a 424 cal burn. How accurate is it? Also, I noticed that I burn an addition 75 cals as I'm cooling down. Those numbers seem to start slowing down as I am resting. I'm just trying to figure out how my body is actually working and burning. My 8 yr old Proform treadmill is only saying I burned 220. However, there is no way for me to put my body weight into the machine and it doesn't monitor my heart rate unless I'm standing on the rails with my hands on the bar.

Replies

• dseign
    dseign Posts: 25
    Options
    My life has not been very active since I quit smoking a few years back and gained 58lbs. I made a commitment to loose the weight and get in shape the 1st of the year. I started out on a low 1000 cal diet, because of being so inactive and most of that is low carb, but my weight loss results were so slow that I've been discouraged.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data to determine. I like this calculator, and it seems pretty accurate for me: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Make sure you set it to calculate your NET calories rather than your GROSS calories, or you'll be double-counting your BMR calories for that time period.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    dseign wrote: »
    My life has not been very active since I quit smoking a few years back and gained 58lbs. I made a commitment to loose the weight and get in shape the 1st of the year. I started out on a low 1000 cal diet, because of being so inactive and most of that is low carb, but my weight loss results were so slow that I've been discouraged.

Trying following the advice here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I didn't mean to seem to advocate a 1000 calorie diet, either. It should be possible to lose weight in a safe and sustainable manner with a more realistic calorie goal.
  • dseign
    dseign Posts: 25
    Options
    When I read about 50-70% of maximum heart rate as a mode to go by, that sounds quite accurate to me. Because I am seriously out of shape, what I burn would be significantly different than someone who is moderately active, therefore I do believe I am burning way more than someone who is conditioned, even at the same, height, weight and age. I only know this by working in the hospital with those whom suffered cardiac issues due to long term lack of activity. It's amazing how a cardiac patient can reverse their condition just by getting healthy enough for surgery.

I know there is no perfect way to measure unless monitoring leads are in place along with a mask that measures ketones in expelled air.

I'm just trying to find the best measuring devise to go outside of the extreme measurements.

As far as calories, I have logged in 65 days and I measure everything. Somethings I even report over the amount. I'd rather over estimate than under estimate.

By keeping a 1000 cal limit, I know I am safe if I should go over that mark. I feel incredibly guilty if I go over. If I'm cheating on what I'm eating, quite honestly there is zero reason to live happy or enjoy food! It's flipp'n hard! My weight is budging very slowly. If I eat more than what I am, I do not budge at all!