I'm the only one trying to get healthy

Options
13»

Replies

• micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dont want to beat a dead horse or anything but lead by example. I understand your situation completely! You may not have healthy things in your pantry but as someone said, pick and choose. Perhaps if and when your parents do go shopping for groceries, ask them to pick you up X, Y and Z. This will at least get them looking at healthier foods and what not. And they'll see you eating it and be like damn, that looks good. lol. If you have the space start a little garden for fresh produce. You can grow pretty much anything indoors and/or from a window box, even if its just cucumbers or tomatoes ( I know you said the ground around you sucks, but maybe ask your mom if you can stop somewhere and buy some; its dirt cheap! haha). Change is difficult for any one but the power of persuasion is awesome! I was stuck for the longest time because my fiance he is very gluttonous. He eats way too big of portions, drinks way to much beer, and orders too much food when we go out to eat. However, I have noticed that he has started to cut back on pretty much everything. He has even suggested joining a gym! Exercise in front of them. There are numerous work outs and routines available on the internet and on youtube! Just ask your parents if one day out of the week you guys can stop at a store before heading home after school. Make it a mother daughter bonding time! And after grocery shopping, stop and have a coffee with your mom before heading home. :) Good luck!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Remember, you can't change anyone else. I understand you want to help your family and you don't want to see them unhealthy or going before their time but unfortunately you cannot make them want it. By what you said, I doubt they will change.

Sorry if I sound rude, however a lot of people have suggested ways for you to get what you need and you either come out with an excuse about why it won't work or just flat out say it won't work.

Carpool, pick up some extra shifts, get an extra loan, find a buddy to bring you to the store, go after work/before work, order groceries online, ask your parents to get you a few things, when your parents aren't using it take the car and get food. If you want it bad enough you will stop making excuses and you will make it happen. I realize it's tough but you have to focus on you. If you want to change yourself bad enough and make yourself healthier, make it happen. Push past barriers. Make it work. When you visit with your friends bring your own snacks.. or eat before you go. If you can't grow a garden in the ground, grow in containers.

Unforutnately if you are faced with that many barriers you may need to figure out how you can move out and live on your own.

In all honesty, I know I sound like I'm making excuses for the suggestions. There have been suggestions that I agree with too. Whenever someone makes a suggestion that would probably work in a city or suburban setting I feel guilty for saying it can't happen, but it honestly can't here. I feel like I have pushed passed these barriers to lose the weight that I have so far, and the only point of this topic post was to try and receive further suggestions. I'd say about 15% of them were feasible for where I live that I'll definitely try out, which is more than what I started with so I'm happy about it! :)

Where exactly do you live that makes it impossible to get to a store, to get produce, fresh veggies, etc? I'm really confused at that part. Even up in the most northern part of Canada you can get fresh produce sent out to the stores.

If it really is that impossible for fresh produce, buy frozen or canned (but try to limit canned due to sodium). Frozen can be just as good as fresh. Plant a garden in containers. Get more shifts at work... borrow the car... carpool with a friend or coworker. If you want something bad enough you will make it happen.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Since you carpool, can you walk from the first stop to your school? Can you have your mom let you out a few blocks down the road (or at the start of the town, lol) and get a little more walking in? Also, try soaking up any home-cooked greasey foods with paper towels (even if you do it when no one is looking so as not to start World War III at home.) Try pulling off breadings, skins, dish up your plate before added butter, gravies, salt is added. Drink tons of water ahead of time. You can clean house like crazy to "burn off" more cals, mow the lawn (if your back allows), walk to get the mail. As for trying to eat healthier, offering to grocery shop or at least have them wait in the car (as a rest for *them*) while you run into the stores, treating it as a favor for your folks instead of as a "you eat crappy" may change the way they look at your offers. Perhaps as "I'd like to be more responsible here at home while still living with you"...get where I'm coming from??? I do think it would be a really hard situation to be in. Obviously you are doing something right, you've lost 20 lbs! Your advantage is to be extremely diligent on your cal intake watching every macro. It sounds like you have drive & determination. Don't give up!! And yes, it IS hard to live with loved onese who don't take care of their own bodies and are putting themselves into an early grave....just know YOU are breaking the cycle starting with yourself!
    Take care.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Can you go grocery shopping with your parents when they're off to buy their fast instant meals for the week and the other basics? Then you could put in more of the things you're going to eat. Could you ask your parents for some money to go and buy your own groceries as you're unable to eat the usual meals since you've changed your eating and lifestyle?
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is it your mum or dad who does most of the shopping? Can you sit them down and have a really serious talk about what you're trying to do, and why, and how? It sounds like they really don't get it, but maybe they could try being supportive just to humour you? Could you try making a bet that you can get x lbs off and keep them off for x months if they allow you a certain small allowance towards your own groceries?

Or if you're relaxed about your dignity, you could become a freegan, and start dumpster diving behind groceries/fruit veg shops for the chucked out produce!
  • yamas2
    yamas2 Posts: 1
    Options
    scare them about weight gain, i can only imagine this happening either as a wake-up-call from a doctor or them realizing it's time to change. buy some magazine that has serious issues and real stories related to weight gain, and just place it where someone can read it alone. we are all sick of watching ads, or having people lecture us about eating healthy... and as someone posted before me, they will see how great you look and follow! it has to come from them.

as for you, here's what i do at school: pack A LOT of little fruit: i get sick of it after it is done. like cherries, baby carrots or apples (they take forever to eat when you cut them)... I honestly don't feel like putting anything in my mouth because i get bored of munching on them. and eat soup (watery not creamy) the first thing when you sit at dinner. then some salad, and by the time you are done with those I doubt you'll have much appetite for a normal serving of food (even if it's the frozen or junk food). I was 24 when i lost 20 pounds without realizing it was the soup and salad and I wasn't even on diet. It works trust me! I'm much older now and trying to go back to that habit.
  • evw123
    evw123 Posts: 29
    Options
    Remember, you can't change anyone else. I understand you want to help your family and you don't want to see them unhealthy or going before their time but unfortunately you cannot make them want it. By what you said, I doubt they will change.

Sorry if I sound rude, however a lot of people have suggested ways for you to get what you need and you either come out with an excuse about why it won't work or just flat out say it won't work.

Carpool, pick up some extra shifts, get an extra loan, find a buddy to bring you to the store, go after work/before work, order groceries online, ask your parents to get you a few things, when your parents aren't using it take the car and get food. If you want it bad enough you will stop making excuses and you will make it happen. I realize it's tough but you have to focus on you. If you want to change yourself bad enough and make yourself healthier, make it happen. Push past barriers. Make it work. When you visit with your friends bring your own snacks.. or eat before you go. If you can't grow a garden in the ground, grow in containers.

Unforutnately if you are faced with that many barriers you may need to figure out how you can move out and live on your own.

In all honesty, I know I sound like I'm making excuses for the suggestions. There have been suggestions that I agree with too. Whenever someone makes a suggestion that would probably work in a city or suburban setting I feel guilty for saying it can't happen, but it honestly can't here. I feel like I have pushed passed these barriers to lose the weight that I have so far, and the only point of this topic post was to try and receive further suggestions. I'd say about 15% of them were feasible for where I live that I'll definitely try out, which is more than what I started with so I'm happy about it! :)

Where exactly do you live that makes it impossible to get to a store, to get produce, fresh veggies, etc? I'm really confused at that part. Even up in the most northern part of Canada you can get fresh produce sent out to the stores.

If it really is that impossible for fresh produce, buy frozen or canned (but try to limit canned due to sodium). Frozen can be just as good as fresh. Plant a garden in containers. Get more shifts at work... borrow the car... carpool with a friend or coworker. If you want something bad enough you will make it happen.

Well I'm not gonna post where I live online, but I live on an island that is fairly isolated. And I do want it bad enough, and I am making it happen, I've already lost weight and it's continuously going down. Like I said, I'm just looking for further suggestions on how I could continue to improve. I'm not on here saying "Wah wah poor me here's all the reasons I can't do it." I'm on here looking for support and potentially some people who can relate, so if you do not wish to support me and do not relate to me, then please don't put me down about it.
  • evw123
    Options
    Since you carpool, can you walk from the first stop to your school? Can you have your mom let you out a few blocks down the road (or at the start of the town, lol) and get a little more walking in? Also, try soaking up any home-cooked greasey foods with paper towels (even if you do it when no one is looking so as not to start World War III at home.) Try pulling off breadings, skins, dish up your plate before added butter, gravies, salt is added. Drink tons of water ahead of time. You can clean house like crazy to "burn off" more cals, mow the lawn (if your back allows), walk to get the mail. As for trying to eat healthier, offering to grocery shop or at least have them wait in the car (as a rest for *them*) while you run into the stores, treating it as a favor for your folks instead of as a "you eat crappy" may change the way they look at your offers. Perhaps as "I'd like to be more responsible here at home while still living with you"...get where I'm coming from??? I do think it would be a really hard situation to be in. Obviously you are doing something right, you've lost 20 lbs! Your advantage is to be extremely diligent on your cal intake watching every macro. It sounds like you have drive & determination. Don't give up!! And yes, it IS hard to live with loved onese who don't take care of their own bodies and are putting themselves into an early grave....just know YOU are breaking the cycle starting with yourself!
    Take care.

Thanks for the support, I will try the paper towel idea and continue to increase my water intake! And getting her to drop me off so I can walk further is a great idea! It feels like I've had thousands of health conversations with them because I'm really worried about them and the future me, but I will re-evaluate how I approach it.

Again, thanks for the support, and congrats on your own weightloss! :D
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Well I'm not gonna post where I live online, but I live on an island that is fairly isolated. And I do want it bad enough, and I am making it happen, I've already lost weight and it's continuously going down. Like I said, I'm just looking for further suggestions on how I could continue to improve. I'm not on here saying "Wah wah poor me here's all the reasons I can't do it." I'm on here looking for support and potentially some people who can relate, so if you do not wish to support me and do not relate to me, then please don't put me down about it.

I didn't put you down. I simply pointed out how you have received a lot of great responses yet shoot each one down with some excuse or reason why it won't work... And I did try to support you and give you ideas however apparently they cannot be done.

If they deliver fresh/frozen produce to a tiny little village in northern Canada, they will deliver it to whatever island you are on. You can find a way to get money and get to a store. Don't listen to what your family says about your eating... do what you need to do. Don't discuss it with them if they don't ask.
  • evw123
    Options

I didn't put you down. I simply pointed out how you have received a lot of great responses yet shoot each one down with some excuse or reason why it won't work... And I did try to support you and give you ideas however apparently they cannot be done.

If they deliver fresh/frozen produce to a tiny little village in northern Canada, they will deliver it to whatever island you are on. You can find a way to get money and get to a store.

Well then thank you for the suggestion, I'll look in to it. And I have actually accepted multiple suggestions, just scroll and take a look. Have a good day and congrats on your own weight loss!
  • evw123
    Options
    You're between a rock and a hard place - as they say. When they order out, opt for the salad with chicken breast - dressing on the side. When they're making prepackaged stuff, limit the portions you eat until you can start going to the grocery store with whoever does the shopping in your house. Go along and try to have a little influence on what goes into the cart. Even if you have to use a little of your own money to buy some more sensible food, it might be worth it in the long run.

Best wishes! You can't change them, but you can coexist if you work at it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try some of them! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So I'm probably gonna start a new topic with the points more clearly outlined in the beginning, just to avoid all this negativity that people are throwing around. Come on guys, let's support each other, not throw each other back down - that's what MFP is for! Thank you to everyone who made actual suggestions, I'll definitely be trying some of them!

I think you're reading negativity where there isn't any intended. What does happen here a lot is that some people's idea of support doesn't jive with the kind of support the OP is expecting. Tough love works for many people here, and actually works better for some. If it doesn't do anything for you that's fine, just ignore those responses and focus on the ones that are giving you what you need.
  • evw123
    Options
    So I'm probably gonna start a new topic with the points more clearly outlined in the beginning, just to avoid all this negativity that people are throwing around. Come on guys, let's support each other, not throw each other back down - that's what MFP is for! Thank you to everyone who made actual suggestions, I'll definitely be trying some of them!

I think you're reading negativity where there isn't any intended. What does happen here a lot is that some people's idea of support doesn't jive with the kind of support the OP is expecting. Tough love works for many people here, and actually works better for some. If it doesn't do anything for you that's fine, just ignore those responses and focus on the ones that are giving you what you need.

That's a really good point actually. I know I'm definitely not suited for tough love, that's a fact haha! Which means I'll probably never post in a forum again, it's a crazy mix of personalities!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack, then my husband got on board. hope that doesn't happen to you
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's a really good point actually. I know I'm definitely not suited for tough love, that's a fact haha! Which means I'll probably never post in a forum again, it's a crazy mix of personalities!

:laugh:

I actually am not fond of posting in the general forum myself. But I have found that private groups are much safer. Or if you've got a good group of friends then posting on your wall can be just as helpful if not more so. Good luck to you, I hope some of the suggestions help. :flowerforyou:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack, then my husband got on board. hope that doesn't happen to you

That comment was not helpful at all!
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can make them eat healthier if they don't want to, believe me, I've tried. Even my family members who want to get healthy think it's impossible for THEM to lose weight and easy as pie for me.

Is there any way you can sneak some healthy items onto the shopping list? Convince your mom a fruit bowl would be cute in the center of the table. If money's an issue use 'a weeks worth of broccoli costs $5, the same as a meal from Mcdonalds.' Go for healthy items that your family also likes.

They have to like some type of healthy food whether they know it or not. (My dad loves when I make eggs, hash browns, and toast and jam for breakfast and he has no idea that it is actually sorta healthy and filling for about 360 calories)

When in doubt go simple- a peanut butter sandwich (who doesn't own peanut butter?), ham and cheese sandwich, or tuna.

My biggest thing was always convincing them to buy my type of bread (Sara Lee 45 calories vs white bread for 120)

As for family functions ask permission to make something like a fruit salad or a veggie tray. Since you have no extra cash I'm sure your mom or grandma will pitch in... maybe.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting article about a man who grows vegetables in Alaska in a remote small town with permafrost. I know you don't have his resources, but the root cellar is something that caught my attention. It wouldn't take much money to build a simple one. He grows vegetables in the summer and stores them in the root cellar all winter. He turned growing vegetables into a profitable business. Anyway, the article might lift your spirits and give you some ideas.

http://seedstock.com/2012/02/27/farming-on-permafrost-remote-alaska-farm-sustainably-produces-pristine-food/
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options

That comment was not helpful at all!
    well, its true.