What to do after a blood letting?

Options
So I have to have a pint of blood removed every week for somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months. (too much iron in it, so they take out a pint with iron and my body makes a new one without and so the iron levels drop)

I seem to be able to walk / jog the day after without too much trouble, but I feel wiped out if I try and lift. It takes about 4 days for me to feel like lifting is an option, but then I get bleed 3 days later . . . and the process repeats.

Part of me feels like the walking is enough while I'm "getting better" but I really miss lifting too.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wow. That sounds pretty fatiguing to the system.

I would take it easy if I were you. Maybe accomplish the minimum necessary to maintain current strength levels without forcing adaptations and depressing your system to the point it can't recover and you just bury yourself.

You could look into a sub-maximal lifting routine like easy strength or even easier strength, which puts minimal stress on the system. I did it when my daughter was born and was surviving on a handful of scattered hours sleep a night - not ideal conditions for getting stronger, but I did on this routine without burying myself.