Do I Sound Like A Horrible Person ?

Options
myheartsabattleground
myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
Ever since I could remember, I've always wanted to adopt kids, and in particular those with autism spectrum, aspergers, down syndrome, epilepsy, agenesis corpus callosum (what I have), hydrocephalus, etc. When I was 20 years old, I had my ovaries removed due to PCOS and my choices are now IVF (I'm aware of the complications and health risks), and adoption.

I would love to adopt those with disabilities, mental defects etc. HOWEVER I don't think I can handle a child with Treacher's Collins that looks inhuman (I'm aware, that all physical deformities vary greatly... I'm talking about if the child looked like an animal, jabba the hut, or picasso painting) or a child that has to depend on me like a newborn (ie mostly non verbal, when they're of school age and should be potty trained.)

Don't get me wrong. I commend those who have the strength to do all that ! I just don't think I can handle crying myself to sleep nightly; because of how cruel society is, or that I'm so fed up with everything to where I just want everything to go away.

Replies

• AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was with you til you said a child with treachers may look like Jabba the hut. You should probably stay childless.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I'm aware that all physical deformities vary greatly. I have agenesis corpus callosum, which is a mental defect. If you type that into google / bing / yahoo / goduckgo, you'll see that too.
  • philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    ^^^AGREED^^^

Yeah, you're a horrible person. "... I'm talking about if the child looked like an animal, jabba the hut, or picasso painting" -- Then you talk about how "cruel society is." Go ahead and toss yourself in that bucket. Cry yourself to sleep at night not because of how messed up the world is around you, but because you're actually a terrible person on the inside (possibly the outside as well).
  • AmberStarr_87
    Options
    ^^^AGREED^^^

Yeah, you're a horrible person. "... I'm talking about if the child looked like an animal, jabba the hut, or picasso painting" -- Then you talk about how "cruel society is." Go ahead and toss yourself in that bucket. Cry yourself to sleep at night not because of how messed up the world is around you, but because you're actually a terrible person on the inside (possibly the outside as well).

I like you!
  • philasaurus_rex
    Options
    As you should ;)
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    as the mother of a child with Aspergers, based on what you just wrote, I would advise you re-think your adoption plans. Being a parent is full of emotional ups and downs regardless of the child. And if you think only children with obvious physical deformities are treated cruelly by society you need to expand your thinking
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So you want a kid who's messed up, but doesn't look messed up?

Serious question: why do you want to be a special needs parent in the first place?

(I have one of the conditions OP listed. "Messed up" is a wee bit of self-deprecating humor. I sincerely apologize to anyone who finds my language offensive.)
  • AmberStarr_87
    Options
    So you want a kid who's messed up, but doesn't look messed up?

Serious question: why do you want to be a special needs parent in the first place?

(I have one of the conditions OP listed. "Messed up" is a wee bit of self-deprecating humor. I sincerely apologize to anyone who finds my language offensive.)

Personally, I think OP just sounds like an *kitten* & doesn't deserve a special needs child (I have a 7 year old with Aspergers/anxiety, not a physical ailment, but trying all the same)
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I mean what you said sounds really bad esp if people who are reading it know someone in life who has a physical ailment. I don't think you're a horrible person but...

What if you had a child who later got disfigured or something? Like you can't prevent these things. And there are worse things that not looking normal or whatever people think someone looks like.
  • philasaurus_rex
    Options
    It's funny to me this is under "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" -- This topic is too heavy for this forum.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am actually mortified for you that you said "HOWEVER I don't think I can handle a child with Treacher's Collins that looks inhuman (I'm aware, that all physical deformities vary greatly... I'm talking about if the child looked like an animal, jabba the hut, or picasso painting)."

So to answer your question, yes, you sound like/are a horrible person.

Children with special needs and physical deformities are not the only individuals treated cruelly by society. I also find it very hypocritical of you to say such a thing when you said "Treacher's Collins that looks inhuman." That's plain cruel.

I suggest you not adopt a child, especially not a child with special needs because they can require 24/7 care for their entire life (depending on the severity of their diagnosis). You said you can't handle raising a child who depends on you… Newsflash: A child with special needs depends on their parents, their siblings, their grandparents, aunts/uncles, therapists, doctors, you name it. They need all of the love, attention, and support they can get. A child with special needs isn't out of your care when they turn 18 because that's not how it works. Once again, depending on the severity of their condition, some will live with their parents for their entire life.

Parenting itself is exhausting. But parenting a child with special needs takes fatigue to another level. And I'm not only talking about physical fatigue- I'm talking about the emotional fatigue.

Depending on the child's condition, doctor visits may be weekly. Therapy may be daily. I won't even mention the medical bills that pile up.

It takes a special person to raise a child with special needs, and based on your post, you are NOT that person.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No, you are not a horrible person. But likening someone with a disability to an animal or alien is unkind at best.

• pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i could see your point of view till you said the kid might look like jabba the hut or a picaso painting.
    society can be cruel but youre adding to it.
    if you decide to adopt kids be sure youll love them unconditionally no matter what, and if you cant, dont. that includes physical deformities.
    Im not going to say youre a horrible person, but i will say you need to rethink your priorities.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I adopted my two children and had to complete the "range of acceptance form" and it's a very sobering thing to have to do - to decide what disabilities you think you can cope with and what you feel you cannot. Requires very deep thought and total honesty.

Sadly from the tone of your post I don't feel you are ready to support and nurture a child. The language you use is shocking and deeply immature.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I adopted my two children and had to complete the "range of acceptance form" and it's a very sobering thing to have to do - to decide what disabilities you think you can cope with and what you feel you cannot. Requires very deep thought and total honesty.

Sadly from the tone of your post I don't feel you are ready to support and nurture a child. The language you use is shocking and deeply immature.

@sijomial‌ Agreed. It's most likely due to her condition though. She has ACC which affects the brains' corpus callosum. Common social/behavioral characteristics include being socially immature, lack of self-awareness, inability to take the perspective of others, difficulty understanding and acting on social cues of others, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@sijomial‌ Agreed. It's most likely due to her condition though. She has ACC which affects the brains' corpus callosum. Common social/behavioral characteristics include being socially immature, lack of self-awareness, inability to take the perspective of others, difficulty understanding and acting on social cues of others, etc.

Interesting - thank you. This place can be very educational.

To lighten the mood slightly....
    One of the categories on the range of acceptance form, sandwiched between all the serious mental/physical/emotional/behavioral conditions and problems was "ginger hair" - which was a little mind blowing.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think you fully understand what it takes to raise a child with a disability of any kind. While some handicaps are not readily apparent, they still frequently come to light and you will still have to deal with all the offensive comments, fear, guilt, and sadness that comes along with it. I have a child with autism. She is fourteen and sweet as can be but we had a lot of struggles with the very things you are afraid of (i.e. judgmental comments, the long long road of potty training, and severe delay in speech). While she is smart and beautiful there will be struggles every day for her entire life and she will likely never be independent.

I have days when I feel blessed to have such a lovely daughter and lucky that we do not have worse issues and days where I don't understand why this happened. But, overall, I am lucky to have someone who has taught me to appreciate simple joys, uncomplicated friendships, and unconditional love.

While I certainly understand the impulse to give a good home to a special needs child and I do understand there are specific reasons to limit what type of disability one can handle (monetary concerns, lack of specific skills, space, or equipment needed) I cannot believe anyone who loves children of any kind would label a person of any age as one who "looked like an animal, jabba the hut, or picasso painting". A person with the heart to care for special needs would feel more concern for protecting and loving those children than for how they themselves would feel.

I don't know you and I don't believe that one thought, action, or belief makes a whole person bad but I to think that you are not the person to adopt/care for any children as you don't seem to have the understanding of what it means to be a parent.

Volunteer if you can. Learn about them and from them. Then revisit your wants.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think you're being brutally honest and everyone is crucifying you because you were either naive enough or attention-seeking enough to post a provocative topic on MFP.
  • philasaurus_rex
    Options
    She said, Jabba the Hutt...Literally, said Jabba the Hutt. And I'll go with the latter of your two ideas.
  • philasaurus_rex
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PS That bicep is sick! < as is in awesome!