Difficulty Staying At 1200

Options
13»

Replies

• HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    are you active? then eat some of those exercise calories back!

Yep yep! The 1400 calories you got from 0.5 lbs per week is without exercise if you're doing the MFP method. When you add exercise, you get to eat more

So your choices are: log your exercises and eat at least some of those calories back to get more food

Do the TDEE method to try to find a number greater than 1400 calories to eat everyday, another poster has given some links

You could also consider bigger meals and less eating frequency or vice versa. One of those options might work better for you as far as satiety over the course of the days

If you do a search for past posts, there will be some where people are asking those with 1200 cal targets to share their open diaries. Those could give you some ideas, too

I haven't plugged in the numbers to see where 138 is on the bmi scale for someone your height. Could you share why you want to lose weight? There may be some other options

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and walk 2-2.5 miles 2-3 times per week. When I go the gym, I lift weights, so I'm not sure how many calories that burns.

138 is around 26 BMI, I think. I just don't like how I look right now and I want to get in shape before a few events that are coming up.

I entered my info into the calculator and found that my TDEE is around 1900-2200, depending on if I put in lightly active or moderately active. That seems high, but I think I'll eat at 1500 for the next week and see how it turns up.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered nice, productive advice.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    completely agree
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Then up the calories. I was at 1200, and found myself cheating and bingeing. I changed the goal to 1400. I am still losing, just not hungry and much happier.

Diet fail, is when you make it so draconian you can't sustain lasting change. And LCHF, you should have higher calories, and just watching carbs, not calories.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins died. From heart attack. Brought on by congestive heart failure. And weighed like 260 lbs at death.

Sign me up. :expressionless:

From being in a coma, from a FALL on ice at age 72. Don't just take the 'evidence' at face value, actually state the FACTS.

Renal failure is the listed cause of death, and he had substantial amounts of fluid in his body. Some of that contributed as well.

I don't follow low carb, but I hate when people make up (or use half truths) to try and make others do things the way they see fit.

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You lose out on calories because you're short. If I set my goal at 1lb a week, I get 1200 also. I did that for about 2 months. (I'm 5 feet tall, started at 140 lbs and I'm down to 130 lbs now).

Could I make sure I was satisfied anyway? Yeah but it was tough. I tried to eat as much protein as possible and ate lots of veggies if I got the munchies.

I'm shooting for 0.5lb per week now, which means I get around 1400 calories.

Reset to lose 0.5lb a week, and, if you aren't exercising, I would recommend getting moving - you can eat back 50%-75% of the calories you earn from exercise and that can help too.

~Lyssa

I did the exact same thing recently (switched from 1200 to 1400) because I am close to goal. Are you still losing at 1400?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You lose out on calories because you're short. If I set my goal at 1lb a week, I get 1200 also. I did that for about 2 months. (I'm 5 feet tall, started at 140 lbs and I'm down to 130 lbs now).

Could I make sure I was satisfied anyway? Yeah but it was tough. I tried to eat as much protein as possible and ate lots of veggies if I got the munchies.

I'm shooting for 0.5lb per week now, which means I get around 1400 calories.

Reset to lose 0.5lb a week, and, if you aren't exercising, I would recommend getting moving - you can eat back 50%-75% of the calories you earn from exercise and that can help too.

~Lyssa

I did the exact same thing recently (switched from 1200 to 1400) because I am close to goal. Are you still losing at 1400?

I only just made the switch this past Friday - I caught a cold a couple weeks ago and had MFP set to "maintain current weight" while I recovered so I was eating around 1600-1700.

I'll hopefully know in a couple weeks if I'm still losing.

~Lyssa
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2". I've lost 9lbs so far by eating around 1200! I make lots of home made soups which help fill me up and are low cal. I've tried Atkins in the past but found that I was hungry too! I think it can be difficult if you are on the short side and especially if you don't exercise much. I have a desk job so don't have much flexibility in my cals either.

I agree with adding more veggies especially if you are hungry, as like others have said if you are hungry you are more likely to binge, especially at weekends.... i know i do!

Good luck on your journey.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins died. From heart attack. Brought on by congestive heart failure. And weighed like 260 lbs at death.

Sign me up. :expressionless:

From being in a coma, from a FALL on ice at age 72. Don't just take the 'evidence' at face value, actually state the FACTS.

Renal failure is the listed cause of death, and he had substantial amounts of fluid in his body. Some of that contributed as well.

I don't follow low carb, but I hate when people make up (or use half truths) to try and make others do things the way they see fit.

Anddddd as previously mentioned above, I see that was incorrect information I had been given.

It doesn't change the fact I think he was a money hungry quack that was FOS. But I can't force someone to not follow such a plan. Just as I don't try to get people to stop burning flags or reading the Bible.