im workin hard but gainin weight. why ?

Options
I have been working out regularly dping cardio on tredmill but amd thigh machine body lifts crunchs and squats but I haven't lost anything instead I gaimed 4lbs and dont understand why I have even been countin calories .....HELP me understand im getting discouraged

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Because you're consuming more than you burn.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Well how ? Like for instance my calorie intake is 1230 or something close to that I track everything and im always moving and go to gym 5days a week .. not sure how that is what is happining ... should I eat less ?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Well how ? Like for instance my calorie intake is 1230 or something close to that I track everything and im always moving and go to gym 5days a week .. not sure how that is what is happining ... should I eat less ?

How are you measuring your food? Do you have a food scale?
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    No estimating but most of time I just logg what ever im eating by bar code and do the serving size if its not individual packaged food. .. so like cereal I use measuring cup ..but always logg it ... and I eat alot of like frozen health meals like lean pockets adkin dishes and lean cuisine or special k cereal and snack bars.... I actually feel super hungry and deprived .... I recently had a baby and im trying to train my belly back to smaller portions ! But the strugle is real ....
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No estimating but most of time I just logg what ever im eating by bar code and do the serving size if its not individual packaged food. .. so like cereal I use measuring cup ..but always logg it ... and I eat alot of like frozen health meals like lean pockets adkin dishes and lean cuisine or special k cereal and snack bars.... I actually feel super hungry and deprived .... I recently had a baby and im trying to train my belly back to smaller portions ! But the strugle is real ....

Congrats on your new baby!

I know it's hard after pregnancy for your body to adjust - depending on when you had your baby, your body could still be going through a lot of hormonal changes. I retained water so badly for several weeks after my C-sections - I never had swelling during my pregnancies, but man oh man, the swelling afterwards was horrendous. So you could be experiencing water retention due to hormones.

However, I would advise you to buy a food scale. You really don't know how much you're eating until you are weighing out your portions.

Are you eating any of your exercise calories back?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - since you are not using a food scale you are probably understating calories by 20-50% …get a food scale, it will be the betst investment you make..

more than likely you have inaccurate logging + water retention from working out + issues ID'd in regards to recent pregnancy = no loss
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Also, OP, if you open your diary, you might get some more help.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Thank u and he is 4 mnth and I think I just got a lil lazy and been working hard trying to catch back up on bills that I have neglected my self and health ... I will go get a food scale asap anand start doing it that way I sure hope it helps because it sucks to know im putting in the work at the gym and home with no improvements. . My hubby was telling me maybe its muscle gain but I dont really get how when I been focusing on cardio to loose weight...
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Humm I been working out for two weeks a
    MrM27 wrote: »

Measuring cups won't be very accurate.

You've gained 4 lbs in how long?
    When did you start trying to eat at a deficit?
    If you are new to training you're also going to be retaining more water.

Humm I have been working out for about 2 weeks and started this calorie app 4 days ago and im very new to this
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Thank u and he is 4 mnth and I think I just got a lil lazy and been working hard trying to catch back up on bills that I have neglected my self and health ... I will go get a food scale asap anand start doing it that way I sure hope it helps because it sucks to know im putting in the work at the gym and home with no improvements. . My hubby was telling me maybe its muscle gain but I dont really get how when I been focusing on cardio to loose weight...

Yeah, it wouldn't be muscle gain if you're in a calorie deficit and not doing any real strength training.

Are you nursing? That can affect hormones and the calories in/out balance also.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Humm I been working out for two weeks a
    MrM27 wrote: »

Measuring cups won't be very accurate.

You've gained 4 lbs in how long?
    When did you start trying to eat at a deficit?
    If you are new to training you're also going to be retaining more water.

Humm I have been working out for about 2 weeks and started this calorie app 4 days ago and im very new to this

Okay - 4 days is not enough to tell a difference.

Continue exercising, buy a food scale and weigh everything you eat. How much weight do you need to lose? You can likely lose eating more than 1230 calories/day.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    [quote="lmhughley89;315978ank u and he is 4 mnth and I think I just got a lil lazy and been working hard trying to catch back up on bills that I have neglected my self and health ... I will go get a food scale asap anand start doing it that way I sure hope it helps because it sucks to know im putting in the work at the gym and home with no improvements. . My hubby was telling me maybe its muscle gain but I dont really get how when I been focusing on cardio to loose weight...

Yeah, it wouldn't be muscle gain if you're in a calorie deficit and not doing any real strength training.

Are you nursing? That can affect hormones and the calories in/out balance also.[/quote]

Nope i stoped 2mnth back and I dont want muscle how do i loose weigh with out gaining muscle
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you will not gain muscle. Muscle takes a lot of time and work to build, and you also have to eat more than your maintenance calories. I wouldn't worry about that at all if I were you.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Ok so would u say its a bad idea to be eating these frozen meals and like salads from mc ds and special k cereal n stuff
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

You're eating more than you think. You can't go by the serving size on a bag. For example, the bread I eat has a serving size of 56g for two slices. However, when I weigh to slices they usually weigh considerably more than that. This is common with all prepackaged food, and those extra calories add up quickly. You need to weigh all solid foods, and measure all liquids. Here, watch this video for an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    Thank u jnv
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Ok so would u say its a bad idea to be eating these frozen meals and like salads from mc ds and special k cereal n stuff

As long as they fit into your calorie goal, they are fine.

Try starting here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're eating a lot of frozen meals or pre-packed foods, you're probably intake of salt is probably very high which would cause additional retention to what you're already experiencing.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    shirayne wrote: »
    Also, if you're eating a lot of frozen meals or pre-packed foods, you're probably intake of salt is probably very high which would cause additional retention to what you're already experiencing.

Which has no impact on fat loss. If you're patient and consistent, you will lose weight even eating pre-packaged meals.