In Defense of "Bro Science"

Options
2»

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lol... too many delayed responses to a whiskey post... I don't even remember why I posted it... probably to play with all the scientists here. :)

An honest troll. Well, that's something different I guess.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :) I wasn't necessarily "trolling"... I think I was weary of all the self-professed experts... but who knows? My original post was done at 1:42 a.m. and I can guarantee that I was too effing lit on Jameson to formulate the intent, ability or desire to "troll".

I keep things simple. I work hard, I lift hard, I run hard and I drink hard.

I'm actually surprised I didn't have more typos in my original post... it was almost coherent... lol
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    vah35afmp11p.jpg
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great life and you had fun sometimes thats what its all about.. Thanks for sharing
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's two broad categories of bro advice. There's the "can't hurt", and "risky". I'll play around with the "can't hurt" category all the time.

I drink Biosteel 10 cal supplements in my water, knowing it doesn't make a difference. I checked with my dietitian and she said, "can't hurt", which I interpreted to mean, "If you want to waste your money that way, have at 'er"

The same with tea over coffee, stevia over aspartame, whole wheat over white, organic vitamins over pharma, or one vegetarian dinner a week. It's a preference thing and neither swing will hurt the dieter.

When dieters range over in to abstention because of outdated or unproven bro science, I take exception. This can lead to unintended consequences. Don't eat enough fat and risk gall bladder problems. Don't eat enough protein and risk damage to muscles, nails, and hair. Don't drink enough water and risk kidney stones.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    :) I wasn't necessarily "trolling"... I think I was weary of all the self-professed experts... but who knows? My original post was done at 1:42 a.m. and I can guarantee that I was too effing lit on Jameson to formulate the intent, ability or desire to "troll".

I keep things simple. I work hard, I lift hard, I run hard and I drink hard.

I'm actually surprised I didn't have more typos in my original post... it was almost coherent... lol

My trainers were old school. Ran their own business for years. They kept up with all the science but you know what? Most clients who aren't inclined to count calories pretty much like and succeed on the old school simplicity. So they are flexible with it and glad to be able to dip into a pot of a variety of approaches. Some clients like the macro breakdown, some just want to be told what to focus on predominately without having to worry about an exact percentage or calorie. It works too. For me in the beginning it helped.

Their main strategy is more behavioural approach so variety of adherence strategies matters. Some thrive on X, some Y. Probably the biggest change is the supplements. They aren't the must haves as such anymore. I think it just "depends". They've trained the suburban house wife (me), Everest climbers and athletes - all different courses of actions and requirements.

So for me, the only time I baulk at someone's advice is when they're adamant that ONLY this is the best course of action and they try and ground it in science that doesn't exist or isn't necessarily the whole picture for one person.

Glad you lost the mullet lol.