Does it matter where Fiber comes from?

Options
I'm asking because I use Splenda in my coffee in the am and thought to myself "Self, why don't we buy some of that Splenda with 1g f fiber per packet?" and so I searched...only to find the giant pouches......so.....I did what anybody else would do "Self! Let's google 'Splenda with fiber packets!'".......and it led me to some information about some lawsuit that the state had brought against the company because "it is misleading consumers thinking that it's healthier when the fiber that it comes with is really just processed from corn"............So.....does it matter?

Personally, my thought was ".....it's in Splenda....of course it is going to be processed....but why does that suck?"

You tell me.

Please and thanks! I have maybe a couple of weeks left of my regular packets. :D

Replies

• c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I prefer my fiber from unprocessed sources.. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I discovered this the painful way when I ate too many of the fiber one bars, had fiber one yogurt and fiber one pop tarts.. Yeah.. Gave most of that stuff away..
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Painful as in "it worked too well and it hurt my tummy" or painful as in "man, that was an expensive way to get fiber!"?
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good question. I eat a fiberplus everyday to try to increase my fiber. Fiber by definition is anything you can't digest. But beyond that I'm as cluess as you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    If you use splenda or another low cal sweetener, then why not, and who cares, it's 1 g. If you don't use low cal sweeteners, then it's a lame source and make food taste like crap, basically a no win situation. Carrots and other veg are good though.:happy:
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Painful as in omgimgoingtodiefromallofthispaininmygut. Never again.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Apparently not.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1010314-woman-eating-her-husbands-ashes
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Apparently not.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1010314-woman-eating-her-husbands-ashes

GAH:angry:

I can't escape that thread!!!!
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you use splenda or another low cal sweetener, then why not, and who cares, it's 1 g. If you don't use low cal sweeteners, then it's a lame source and make food taste like crap, basically a no win situation. Carrots and other veg are good though.:happy:

That's the way I saw it too. In a "hey, I'm eating Splenda anyway"...but wouldn't want to pay double the price of regular if it doesn't do anything, ya know?

Thanks for replies everyone!!!