Eating healthy but still being fast, convenient and affordable?

Options
2»

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

I don't live near a trader joes or sams club unfortunately, I don't know what would be a similar shop over here (UK)[/quote]

trader joes=. aldi/ lidl.
    sams club = costco/ makro.
    nearest uk equivalents.

majority of my healthy food(90%) comes from lidl and the co-op.

• Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »

I don't live near a trader joes or sams club unfortunately, I don't know what would be a similar shop over here (UK)

trader joes=. aldi/ lidl.
    sams club = costco/ makro.
    nearest uk equivalents.

majority of my healthy food(90%) comes from lidl and the co-op.

[/quote]
    Thank you :)
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above. Just wanted to add that dry beans are usually super cheap, and there are so many varieties! They do take some time to cook initially (you can easily multitask as they are simmering), but then are super easy to throw into a salad (love mixing with quinoa, onions, and balsamic vinegar) or to make a quick soup (so many kinds of soups!)/chili. I try to cook beans at least once a week and then use them in at least 2-3 different recipes throughout the week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Innocent veg pots like Thai Coconut Curry over a bed of watercress, spinach and rocket makes a big fast food meal for under 300 calories
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Aldi is great as a grab and run! They sell these salad boxes for 99p and I buy some cooked chicken and throw that in too. Simple and easy :)

Also I make homemade soup and put it in a flask to take to work so that I don't need to heat it up and its ready to eat at lunch time. Aldi also sell fresh ready made soups that are low in cals if you don't want to make your own. You could heat that up in the micro.

Insulated food tubs are also good for lunches as you they keep your food warm til lunchtime. So great for beans etc.

Your protein requirements depend on your weight etc. There are various calculations, but from what I've read the recommendations are 0.4g to 1g per lb of body weight. I'm 5'2" 135 lbs and I aim for around 80-90grams a day.

Good luck.