Do your large breasts cause backpain while exercising?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue? I wear the best, supportive compression bra possible but sometimes my back kills me after a workout. My heating pad is my best friend.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since this is only after workouts i am more apt to wonder if the workout is causing this not your breasts.
    How bad is the pain? Soreness from a new workout or like something is actually wrong? W
    What kind of workouts are you doing. If weight lifting have you had a trainer show you proper form?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Does your bra fit OK - that is, do your breasts stay mostly still and move together when they're moving? Is it loose enough around the chest that you can breathe and the straps aren't digging in anywhere?

Supportive compression bras are good for restricting movement but you really need to make sure they fit correctly. And if yours already does, you may want to try a different exercise routine for now.

Also if your bra is older it may be time to replace it. I thought my bras were still in good condition because my breasts weren't moving too much more but I ended every run with a knot in my upper back. Bought new bras and bingo! No more pain. Unfortunately this means I may be replacing sports bras yearly, but it's worth it to be comfortable.

~Lyssa
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You need a better bra! How do you know it's that good? Where are you based? Bras should be replaced every six months max.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Many who are top heavy have lived with bad posture for a long time. Exercise requires correct form so for many having to pull their shoulders back and and standing more erect for exercise can put more stress on their backs.
    May have to modify some exercises to accommodate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't think it is your breast. I'm a 34H and 51 years old so I have "lived" experience. From a specific workout you wouldn't get instant back pain related to your breast (it is probably related to your workout and maybe you need tips on stretching, technique etc.). A good bra during a workout helps with not being uncomfortable during a workout from too much bounce. That said large breast can cause lower back problems overtime, similar to the effect of having poor posture. If this is more of a chronic problem then I would concentrate on keeping my back strong with weights, core work and stretching etc. I used to have back problems that went away once I started to focus on my core and posture - this may sound strange but once you have a lot of muscle holding you upward your breast lose their power to drag you down and throw out your alignment. All this said I still have a hate on for my junior high PE teacher for making us do 100 jumping jacks every class. ;)
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My physio is a huge advocate of the effect of improving your posture. She and other professionals I've seen have said and shown how working on it can really assist in this form of back pain. Like the others have said, it is probably actually not your boobs, but is possibly this - have you tried Pilates? This is all about core and could really help :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    work on your back muscles
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I had been having back issues for a couple years due to my large breasts. Since I started strength training and losing weight my back pain has decreased greatly.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hiya down to 32g and use a panache sports bra. Only back issues are due to not sitting properly at my desk.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    No, but I am a dancer and have the aforementioned really good posture.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    34e here and have problems with them not staying in my sports bra and even moving which causes pain when jumping and doing high impact moves :(
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    34e here and have problems with them not staying in my sports bra and even moving which causes pain when jumping and doing high impact moves :(
    That sounds like wrong bra. I couldn't do jumping jacks until I got my sports bra. Research a good bra.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

If you have a properly fitting bra, your breasts will not come out of it at all. You may not be able to completely eliminate movement, but they should never be coming out and should move together if they do move.

I was a 38D (I've shrunk some since I lost weight, not sure where I am now) and a properly fitting bra makes a world of difference.

~Lyssa
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Sounds like either:
    - Wrong size bra
    or
    - Wrong type of sports bra

I'm a 36E and my boobs definitely don't come out of my sports bra. They bounce a bit, but in unison and not enough to cause any back pain. Oh and I like Shock Absorbers. I recently discovered a brand called La Isla on amazon and they have sports bra's that so far seem to be identical to Shock Absorber (and it looks like a few other pricey brands) for about half the cost. I bought one to try that looks identical to a Shock Absorber Ultimate Run bra and so far it is doing just as good of a job (and it didn't cost near as much).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why yes they do.

I'll hold them for you. ;)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Back pain? No. Black eyes? Yes.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I have quite prodigious betties and jumping up and down and the like IS very uncomfortable. Not so much on my back but out front. I don't generally do a lot of "bouncy" exercise. Just not very into it. But there are loads of other ways to exercise so I just choose those other ways instead. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

OMG LOLOL! (smack)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

OMG LOLOL! (smack)

Manmaries are a terrible thing. #thestruggleisreal