looking for an encouraging environment

Options
I'm Lin and like a lot of other significantly overweight people im finding it hard to let go of my old lifestyle. I'm also pretty uncomfortable exercising. Can you guys maybe give me some encouragement or advice?

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just start moving. You don't have to buy anything. Join a gym if you can and just go hang out at first. Maybe do 20 minutes on a bike or treadmill. Walk around and look at things. Just go every day. Make it a habit. You will start working out more and more. You can do it. Make it fun and take the stress out of it at first.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm Lin and like a lot of other significantly overweight people im finding it hard to let go of my old lifestyle. I'm also pretty uncomfortable exercising. Can you guys maybe give me some encouragement or advice?

Walk, walk and walk some more!
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    Hi Lin,this is a complete lifestyle change, so its a long road, and not an easy one. You will have your good days, and your bad. You need to take one day at a time. I started my lifestyle change in sept2014, but only started with MFP in November of 2014. I have lost a total of 43 pounds. I still have a way to go, but like i said, you take one day at a time. I started in sept. doing one change at a time. The first being, i stopped drinking excess soft drinks, once i was ok with that, i added another one. Cut out potato chips, cut back on portions at meal times, etc. I found, by doing one thing at a time, and watching the other things that i was eating, and keeping track of it, so i could look at it later and see where i was going wrong, really helped me see my habits and where i could make other changes. When you have a bad day, you log it anyways, shake it off and move on. Tomorrow will always bring hope.Think positive. As for exercise, i find it hard as well. I used to be very active, but hurt my knee about 5 years ago, and wasnt able to do anything. I became very out of shape and put on alot of weight. I started with basic stretching, and low impact exercises (10-15 min. at a time), then added more and worked my way up in minutes. You dont have to exercise in order to lose weight, but it will help tone you and its good for your heart and your overall health. I am still working my way up, slowly. Its not a race, you need to do things at your own pace. Just making the choice to make this lifestyle change is the first good step.I wish you all the luck in the world, if you need some friends, there are alot of great people on here that are full of encouragement and are great motivators , you can add me if you would like. We all work together to strive for the same goals. Its a great bunch of people and i am so happy to have them on my journey, they have made all the difference for me.
  • rusha90
    rusha90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Walk, walk and walk some more!

This. Jus put on some music and think some happy thoughts. And start. At your own pace. U gotta start sum where... U can do it!
  • weejen73
    weejen73 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Lin, I would just start with a short walk daily like 20 then build it up when you feel ready. Put some music on and dance around while doing housework. Do you have a friend that could walk with you too. Also drink lots of water.. I drink around 3lts a day. Good luck :) feel free to add me too.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Here are some really good threads for you to check out! The first one is super short and to the point, and the second one is quite a bit lengthier but it's definitely worth it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck getting to your goals!
  • rsvilchez
    rsvilchez Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    as must people say, start by walking, go walking everyday for an hour. 30 mins one way 30 back. then you move to available exercise you may have, find in youtube exercise that you may do home. (eat more salad vs big meals