Fear of running

Options
I'm obese. I was 260, now I'm 213.

I had running goals, but developed plantar fasciitis from using the treadmill in the fall. The pain is mostly gone, now.

I am comfortable on the elliptical and strider, and I lift.

But I don't have running goals anymore, for fear of re-injuring myself.

Thoughts?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Opportunity or obligation: you decide. When you put effort with opportunity you move closer to success. Every minute you sit there wondering is one less minutes you are moving toward your goals. Are you sneakers on? Can you walk and run a mile? They are your goals, no one can do them for you. You have to want to them for yourself. So, why the hell are you still sitting there? Go!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The most common cause of running pain is going out too fast, for too long. Start slow. And then slow it down until it feels ludicriously slow. And then slow down some more.

Going from out of shape to running shape takes time for the body to adjust.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Do you want to run? If not, don't run. If you are happy with lifting and the elliptical, and you are meeting your fitness/health goals, then just keep doing that.

If you really want to run...well then try again. Get the right shoes, go slow. Stretch your calves and arches.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am almost same weight you were. I like running a lot..but don't feel like I have the stamina yet I want to lose more. I do a brisk walk with an incline up to 2.0, or do the profiles to mix it up, and I feel I get more from that. Have u tried the row machine?
  • Tanyae123
    Tanyae123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you want to run? If not, don't run. If you are happy with lifting and the elliptical, and you are meeting your fitness/health goals, then just keep doing that.

If you really want to run...well then try again. Get the right shoes, go slow. Stretch your calves and arches.

I agree with the above. If you don't want to run there's no obligation for you to do it! I used to do a mix of cardio and resistance machines in the gym and then I took up running as I was training for a challenge. I did nothing but run for the last 6 months and put on 2kg and lost a lot of tone throughout my body. I found my metabolism dropped (this can happen doing lots of cardio!) hence the weight gain.

So for the last 2 weeks I have switched to strength training with a small amount of cardio and one run a week. I have now lost what I put on. The change in my body in just 2 weeks is amazing! So yeah I would recommend not to get too boggled down with running...!

Good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tanyae123 wrote: »
    I found my metabolism dropped (this can happen doing lots of cardio!) hence the weight gain.

Nope, that was a result of not being in calorie deficit...

HTH

• nsarah
    nsarah Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm obese. I was 260, now I'm 213.

I had running goals, but developed plantar fasciitis from using the treadmill in the fall. The pain is mostly gone, now.

I am comfortable on the elliptical and strider, and I lift.

But I don't have running goals anymore, for fear of re-injuring myself.

Thoughts?

I had that too and I like to run. I stopped while I had the problem. I have since been running again and it has been ok. I have gotten better at buying new shoes 2 or 3 times a year. Had my foot measured and assessed at a running store and now I know best shoe for my high arches (planter Facitus causing issue). I occasionally feel my foot ache a little and make a point to stretch my foot and avoid running that day. So far for the last year it has been working for me. Also don't wear flat shoes for long periods, so bad for the issue.
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight‌ Oh, that's tough advice for someone trying to get into the "Nike commercial" game, but if it applies to lifting, which I can totally relate to, it makes sense that it would apply to running as well.

@katarina005‌ funny you mention the row machine. I was put on it early early with a PT at the gym -- and then did some research and found I actually had poor form (pulling with the back too early in the movement). I asked around, and none of the trainers seemed to know how to operate it properly and no one seemed interested in learning (I know!!). So I'm staying away from it. I actually don't want to watch a video at home an then try to replicate it in the gym.

My new PT is completely geeky-fussy about lifting, and I trust him with iron. But cardio machines? Hmm.

@ThickMcRunFast‌ I'm concerned about my VO2Max. I'm thinking about calisthenics (and lifting faster :wink: ) for that. It just seems like all the cool kids like @Tanyae123‌ run. :smile:

Thank you for all the advice!!

• Tanyae123
    Tanyae123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found my metabolism dropped (this can happen doing lots of cardio!) hence the weight gain.

HTH

Yes hence my comment about a drop in metabolism aka less calories burned.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you think you are still interested in running start slow and make sure that you have good shoes that fit you. Stretch well afterwards and see how your body does with the new exercise and if the problem flares up.

More importantly, I just wanted to say great job on the weight loss! :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

HTH

Doesn't really work like that, but OK. Only on this board would someone say they gained weight from running... LOL.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd be interested to see what you base the suggestion that CV work lowers your metabolism on.