doing 5x5 strong lifts but feeling i need more? ideas?

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
k so i started the 5x5 about 2 months agoish and i must say i LOVE it . and i defintly not wanting to replace it till i have used up the plates at the gym . small gym lol.

I am finding by the time i am done my 5x5 i am wanting to still workout. i been adding 30 minutes treadmill in with my workouts. and on my days off.. but i seem to have so much energy that i am craving more gym time. hard to explain but i am still in weight loss mode with lease 40-50 pounds left to go.

wondering what can be added with the 5x5 that will allow me to push harder at the gym. and allow me to burn off the massive amount of energy i have still.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Try ICf 5x5.
    Its like SL but with iso work
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Ask yourself the same question after 12 weeks when you're squatting 5 sets of 100kg plus three times a week.

Yep, was thinking the same thing.
    OP, you can technically throw in whatever additional stuff you want. I do know the program does have option for throwing in pull-ups and dips if you did not want to deviate at all from program. But I can tell you, like @herrspoons mentioned, at some point, when you are squatting (whatever is really heavy for you) 5x5, 3 times a week, you will asking yourself if you will even be able to do the next exercise in the program after that due to being so gassed, let alone thinking about anything "extra".
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You could always add a few more different lifts in with the 5X5's. I add 100 pushups, chest press, and a few skull crushers in with the 5X5's.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Ask yourself the same question after 12 weeks when you're squatting 5 sets of 100kg plus three times a week.

Hell, I just finished week nine after starting again post PT and I'm failing at 90kg. De-loading for this next week. I finish squats these days and say WTF, I have to do what now... Press failed at 50kg so that's dropping back too. Deadlifts are still cruising though, but I expected that when I start this program.

I think OP should enjoy the energy now, there will be a reckoning... At least for a brief period.
  • breonn_clark
    breonn_clark Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing some incline if you want some great gains for upper body. Also, you could go really hard on your triceps and lats. If you target those two you'll have great gains and if you still got energy left after that, try to slowly incorporate a lil more abs and abs everyday so by the time you lose that weight you'll be ripped. Goodluck man!