do you ever feel your weight hinders your workouts?

Options

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am not an overweight person - my weight management issues are 100% related to being faster on a bike. I could definitely use 5-7 kg. less to go uphill faster.

In addition, when really starting a season (i.e. like right now) my increased mass reflects in a gut - which doesn't let me do time trials comfortably. So totally yes to the original question.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I still have 30lbs to lose and I definitely find some things harder than I did pre-pregnancy, but I know I'll get back to the point eventually when I lose that weight, I'll just have to put up with things being harder for now.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea to do a lot of impact with too much extra weight, anyhow, not great for joints.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I started doing yoga when I was 230 pounds. I think anyone can do anything.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I managed to get to my goal weight then put 10 lbs. back on. The extra weight flaps and jiggles when I try and do the exercises I used to do - it is so not comfortable. But, if I did it once, I can do it again!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Id like to be stronger, faster, fitter, but one of the nice things about exercise is you are only in a race with yourself. I write everything down to monitor my improvement, so its just a case of keeping putting the effort in till I reach a satisfactory fitness level. I now do some exercises that I couldnt before and realise its like having a massive weight removed from your back. When I get to target ill be looking to get stronger so I can go faster.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am your size. 5.0 and 154 lbs. Yes my weight gets in the way. I can't jump plus I have a bad knee. I just keep going. Swimming has helped me get stronger. I combine that with walking.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm at goal and still can't do a flaming pull up

It would be so much easier if I weighed 90lbs :grinning:
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It can hinder some workouts but don't let it keep you from not working out or going to the gym. Everyone is going to the gym to get fit so don't feel bad. I had never even stepped foot into a gym in my entire lifetime till Jan 2013. I had lost about 130 pounds by then but still felt nervous. I had done a treadmill and stationary bike at PT but never in a gym setting. The first time I used the elliptical I could only be on it for like 10 minutes and my hip was killing me for a week or more but I kept going.
    Some people do go to socialize or what ever but when I go it's to work out and sweat! I try to get in and out in 1 hour and try to burn at least 400 cals in that hour. I am dripping with sweat when I leave.
    Keep up the good work and continue to do what you are doing, it gets easier!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm sure I'd be closer to doing a chin up if I wasn't overweight.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I could definitely ride my bike faster and run faster if I was willing to lose some muscle mass. I'm not though.
    i think if i had 20lbs extra in muscle i wouldn't be bothered ... its fat so i know it has to go :)

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Think positive- heavier people burn more calories during the same workout (compared to lighter people) so you are actually getting more value for each workout. Keep moving, just do what you can.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    yes. when running. i am hoping my pace improves come half marathon season.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes... 23 pounds ago I was, "running," a 13 minute mile.... It was awful. But now that I'm 23 pounds lighter I run about 9 minute miles... I would like to loose 20 more pounds to see if I can get to 7 minute miles for an entire 5k... But that's probably not going to happen because I really like to eat.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It's a bad idea to do a lot of impact with too much extra weight, anyhow, not great for joints.

I did aerobics until I was 38 weeks pregnant. I didn't weigh myself, but I was huge lol. My joints are fine. I have no problem running a 5k.
  • redonkulousd
    redonkulousd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everybody has "something" they could do better if they were just a little more "this" or a little less "that". Focus on what you can do, what you have done and what you will be able to do. Keep your head up and do a little more tomorrow than you did today! Good luck!
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yup! I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs. It gets in the way but if that's not serious motivation then I don't know what is. I kinda like that I'm going to get to see the changes made during my journey and it's just a reminder of why my life isn't one that I want to live anymore.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    when i was 152 lbs i had the same problems all body parts just flapping every where and tierd very fast now iam 124lbs workouts is much easier i can do every move and most importantly i dont have fat of my body smacking me all the time
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    when i was 152 lbs i had the same problems all body parts just flapping every where and tierd very fast now iam 124lbs workouts is much easier i can do every move and most importantly i dont have fat of my body smacking me all the time
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

yes the fat smacking around is the worst bit :(