Making gains

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think he said that MFP gave him 3500 to gain but when he logged in all his food he is at 4700 for the day ..so he is 1200 calories over....or did I miss something???
    I got the impression he was saying he checked how much he had already been eating and found it was over what MFP would recommend for weight gain (and presumably hadn't been gaining) - so the calorie estimate is wrong.

That's how I took it, based on his stating, "So I scan in the normal food I eat on a Daliy basis and it added up to 4700 cal."

I guess I could have taken it incorrectly, but that's what it sounds like he's saying.
  • markyboy1979
    markyboy1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food?

People trying to lose routinely underestimate what they eat and those trying to gain routinely overestimate. If you aren't weighing solids theres a good chance your estimate is off.

But a calculator is just an estimate. If you are accurately weighing and logging and not gaining... add more calories.

I weigh all my food. I work in construction so I'm burning cal all day then hit the gym. If eat the amount of cal MFP are suggesting I wail start losing weight.

then you need to eat 1200 less calories and eat to 3500...

Lol but I'm trying to gain muscle mass ??
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

People trying to lose routinely underestimate what they eat and those trying to gain routinely overestimate. If you aren't weighing solids theres a good chance your estimate is off.

But a calculator is just an estimate. If you are accurately weighing and logging and not gaining... add more calories.

I weigh all my food. I work in construction so I'm burning cal all day then hit the gym. If eat the amount of cal MFP are suggesting I wail start losing weight.

He is under the assumption that you would be gaining too rapidly at that level of intake. That's a 1200 calorie surplus.
  • markyboy1979
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Can anyone clear this up for me. Just sign up to MFP set my goals which is to gain weight by gaining 1lb per week and it says to eat 3500 cal a day. So I scan in the normal food I eat on a Daliy basis and it added up to 4700 cal so I'm 1200 cal over what it recommends.

OK? MFP's goals are just estimates based upon simple calculations of averages. For many people, those numbers are fine. For others - apparently, you'd be one of these others - the estimates don't work. They/you would have to track for a while and see what, exactly, happens when you eat X amount of Calories and adjust as necessary.

What happens when you eat the 4700 Cals per day? Do you lose, maintain, or gain weight? And if it's lose or gain, how much? If you maintain at 4700, but want to gain weight, add anywhere from 250-500 Calories.

If you go to your MFP home page, click "Goals," then "Change Goals," you can manually change your Calorie and nutrient goals.

edit: I see 3laine75 has already addressed this, as I was replying.
    I set my goal to gain weight 1 lb per week that's when MFP said to eat 3500 cal. I think your right tho 4700 or around that is maintenance for me I think I have to increase my cal by 500 see what happens after a few weeks. I did make my dairy public so yous can have a look. Thanks for your time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Can anyone clear this up for me. Just sign up to MFP set my goals which is to gain weight by gaining 1lb per week and it says to eat 3500 cal a day. So I scan in the normal food I eat on a Daliy basis and it added up to 4700 cal so I'm 1200 cal over what it recommends.

OK? MFP's goals are just estimates based upon simple calculations of averages. For many people, those numbers are fine. For others - apparently, you'd be one of these others - the estimates don't work. They/you would have to track for a while and see what, exactly, happens when you eat X amount of Calories and adjust as necessary.

What happens when you eat the 4700 Cals per day? Do you lose, maintain, or gain weight? And if it's lose or gain, how much? If you maintain at 4700, but want to gain weight, add anywhere from 250-500 Calories.

If you go to your MFP home page, click "Goals," then "Change Goals," you can manually change your Calorie and nutrient goals.

I set my goal to gain weight 1 lb per week that's when MFP said to eat 3500 cal. I think your right tho 4700 or around that is maintenance for me I think I have to increase my cal by 500 see what happens after a few weeks. I did make my dairy public so yous can have a look. Thanks for your time.

I am massively confused now...

OP - please answer the following..

is 3500 the number that MFP gave you to gain one pound per week..Yes/NO
    is4500 the number that you get when you enter all your food for the day...yes/no

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Holy protein intake, Batman!
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Holy protein intake, Batman!

Indeed. Raise carbs, drop protein.
  • markyboy1979
    Options

He is under the assumption that you would be gaining too rapidly at that level of intake. That's a 1200 calorie surplus.

is4500 the number that you get when you enter all your food for the day...yes/no
    YES.......YES
  • ndj1979
    Options

YES.......YES

Ok then you need to eat to the 3500 number for about three to four weeks and see how it goes. If you do not gain enough then add in another 100 calories and reassess...if you gain too much then back off, you gain a pound a week then change nothing...

if you eat 4500 a day then you are going to gain like two pounds a week....

• LolBroScience
    Options

YES.......YES

Ok then you need to eat to the 3500 number for about three to four weeks and see how it goes. If you do not gain enough then add in another 100 calories and reassess...if you gain too much then back off, you gain a pound a week then change nothing...

Exactly...

You're making this far to confusing....

If your TDEE is 3500 eat slightly above it to gain.
    If your TDEE is 4500 eat slightly above it to gain.

You have to find out what your actual TDEE is. The 3500 given by MFP is an estimate based upon the info you input.
  • auddii
    Options

YES.......YES

Exactly...

You have to find out what your actual TDEE is. The 3500 given by MFP is an estimate based upon the info you input.

This. If you logged a typical day that at the same level you've been eating at for months as 4500 calories and you haven't been gaining, you need to eat more as that is likely your maintenance.

If you logged 4500 calories because you wanted to up your calories so you can gain weight and your maintenance is actually 3500, you're going to gain too quickly, which will likely result in far more fat than you want.
  • markyboy1979
    Options

Yes you probably would be right in most cases but I've been eating 4500 for about a year just to maintain 77kg. Now I want to grow to 90kg so I have to add another 500 cal I guess. In some cases MFP is wrong. It's handy to track my macros.
  • auddii
    Options

Yes you probably would be right in most cases but I've been eating 4500 for about a year just to maintain 77kg. Now I want to grow to 90kg so I have to add another 500 cal I guess. In some cases MFP is wrong. It's handy to track my macros.

This was the info we're missing. If you've been eating at that level and not gaining, you'll need to eat more. And that's going to get pricey (it's a ton of food). I know you said you have an active job, but if you do any dedicated cardio not as a part of your job, I'd cut that out to try and save some calories (expenditure).
  • markyboy1979
    Options
    Lol I definitely don't do any cardio just ain't got the time. Thanks for your help bud.
  • markyboy1979
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

YES.......YES

Exactly...

This. If you logged a typical day that at the same level you've been eating at for months as 4500 calories and you haven't been gaining, you need to eat more as that is likely your maintenance.

If you logged 4500 calories because you wanted to up your calories so you can gain weight and your maintenance is actually 3500, you're going to gain too quickly, which will likely result in far more fat than you want.
    Sorry dude if it's confuse you my maintenance is 4500 so I have to eat more. The estimate from MFP is just that and obviously not right for me. Thanks for ya help buddy.
  • ndj1979
    Options

OK if 4500 is your maintenance...then you need to eat 5000 a day to gain one pound per week ...

that is insane amount of calories...do you run marathons or something???
  • markyboy1979
    Options
    Lol na man it feels like it tho some days at work. I've never really track my calories before just knew I needed X amount to maintain.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

OK if 4500 is your maintenance...then you need to eat 5000 a day to gain one pound per week ...

that is insane amount of calories...do you run marathons or something???

See! I'm always right ;)
    (I keep having to tell bf this as well XD)

• markyboy1979
    Options
    Lol the woman is always right