Avocado Question

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
There are so many various listings for the calories in an avocado. I also researched online a bit. How do YOU count them?

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I weigh the flesh I'm going to eat in grams, and use the non-asterisked entry for avocado which should have a long drop down list of various measures.
  • alealessia_13
    Options
    A lot of peole says that that the avocado is fat (which is completely true) but what they don't understand is that that fat is considered as good fat! Avocado has LOTS of fibres which are in generally insoluble and passes through the bowels - so eating food high in fibre is good for weight loss as well as they bulk to the diet without adding calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    'avocado raw' or 'avocado usda' and I pick the grams entry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    'avocado raw' or 'avocado usda' and I pick the grams entry.

This. For produce and meat the best option is to find the non-asterisk entries that MFP has from the USDA or, barring that, a USDA entry that someone else put in with lots of confirmations. (You can double check with the USDA site.)

For produce using the plural and adding raw usually brings up the best entries and they will have lots of measurement options. I always weigh my avocado in grams (just the part you eat) and then put in say .58 of 100 grams if the measurement is 58 grams. (I generally eat half an avocado, but no reason you need to do that.)
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, weigh it out.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados - Raw is the entry I use. Select grams, weigh it out, and enjoy every single bite. :mrgreen:
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Food scale.. weigh the avocado as raw with or without pit
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I count avocados as awesome.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I should weight them. I have a scale. But sometimes I'm in a rush. So I fall back on one of those 'whole avocado' entries. It's one I've found jives pretty close to the one I use when I weigh. (I eat a lot of avocado...I've experimented with the logging. :smile: ) Then just (over)estimate 1/8, 1/4 or whatever. I don't eat super duper strict so it works for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just log half an avocado, 160 ish calories.

I can't really weigh because I don't like to cut up avocado several hours before I eat it. it gets brown so I cut the avocado in half and wrap each half in plastic and bring to work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »
    There are so many various listings for the calories in an avocado. I also researched online a bit. How do YOU count them?

"avocado - usda" and then use a food scale.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use one of the cheaty whole avocado entries, which i believe is about 280 calories. If I would weigh it, I would probably take the pit out, but keep the skin on.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    what do the asterisks mean????