Epsom salt baths for weight loss

Options
Hi gang
I've just tried my first epsom salt bath (40 mins) to help with a little weight loss. I was hoping to tighten things up a bit and lose a little water weight.

I used 2 cups of salts, warm bath (although think it should have been hotter) and need to switch the extract off next time as i didn't feel i sweated enough. I added a green tea bag although not sure if i should have mixed the salts with it. And drank a hot cup of green tea while in the bath.

Now lying in bed with socks on (I know guys right :wink: what are we like), under a duvet, sipping room temp water hoping that this will help.

So far I feel good and relaxed so I'm pleased with that element. However pretty sure I haven't lost any water weight.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? things they add to help.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just no.

Oh and dehydrating yourself too quickly (like this) can lead to a bunch of serious complications. If you mess up your electrolytes too much, it can lead to heart arrythmias and possibly death.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've never heard of a salt bath to lose weight. Unless the salt somehow dehydrates you a little bit and you lose a bit of water weight which . I've heard epsom salt is very good for your skin though.

Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts for lots of things, including dehydration goals. But no, not for real, actual weight loss.
  • Azexas
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just no.

Oh and dehydrating yourself too quickly (like this) can lead to a bunch of serious complications. If you mess up your electrolytes too much, it can lead to heart arrythmias and possibly death.

Oh and all of this ^^
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Dehydration is not the answer to losing fat...
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    From what i have read and you tube videos, including MMA fighters that use it to get to a target weight, its something you might do 1-2 a week, and you have to hydrate during and after but its great for drawing out toxins, healing the skin and tightening things up. I have a strong heart and all medical stats are normal. Definitely hoping not and working to avoid 'death'.
  • Azexas
    Options
    What toxins are you removing from your body?

Kidneys and liver are the natural filtration system that removes toxins already from your body...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If MMA fighters even do it, it's most likely to make weight. When my son wrestled 195, he'd dehydrate to make weight and then eat after the weigh-in. It's not fat loss, at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ian_Davies wrote: »
    From what i have read and you tube videos, including MMA fighters that use it to get to a target weight, its something you might do 1-2 a week, and you have to hydrate during and after but its great for drawing out toxins, healing the skin and tightening things up. I have a strong heart and all medical stats are normal. Definitely hoping not and working to avoid 'death'.

DON'T DO THIS. You will NOT lose WEIGHT doing this. The scale will go down for a few days and then it will come back.
    This is NOT a weight loss technique it's a fool the scale technique.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

If you want to lose fat rather than water maybe try a calorie deficit?
  • Ian_Davies
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I haven't once mentioned fat loss. I was wanting to tighten things up in areas where i am a bloated and while i drink 2+ litres a day of water pulling out toxins that sit within the skin seemed to be a good way of helping cleanse.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MFP = Magical Fitness pal

• Ian_Davies
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

If you want to lose fat rather than water maybe try a calorie deficit?

Thanks sijomial, i am on a calorie deficit, i've lost 7.5kgs so far, down from 92kg to 84.5kgs. And totally agree thats the best and probably only way to lose weight overall.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do these toxins have a name?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi gang
    I've just tried my first epsom salt bath (40 mins) to help with a little weight loss. I was hoping to tighten things up a bit and lose a little water weight.

I used 2 cups of salts, warm bath (although think it should have been hotter) and need to switch the extract off next time as i didn't feel i sweated enough. I added a green tea bag although not sure if i should have mixed the salts with it. And drank a hot cup of green tea while in the bath.

Now lying in bed with socks on (I know guys right :wink: what are we like), under a duvet, sipping room temp water hoping that this will help.

So far I feel good and relaxed so I'm pleased with that element. However pretty sure I haven't lost any water weight.

oTpiV7e.gif

Because not sure if troll but didn't want to say stupid (Canadian, sorry).
  • Azexas
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I haven't once mentioned fat loss. I was wanting to tighten things up in areas where i am a bloated and while i drink 2+ litres a day of water pulling out toxins that sit within the skin seemed to be a good way of helping cleanse.

Your body does not need a cleanse, just like it doesn't need a detox. Again...what toxins are you removing from your body?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

title of your thread is "weight loss" as most people equate weight loss with fat loss that was the natural conclusion they would com to.

You don't need to "detox"; your body does that naturally through your liver and kidneys.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Flab2Fab27 wrote: »
    Hi gang

oTpiV7e.gif

Because not sure if troll but didn't want to say stupid (Canadian, sorry).

OMG that kitty is so cute!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Name one actual toxin. Hint: they don't exist.

They may do it to get yo target weight, but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Dancers will throw up and starve themselves to get to "target" weight- which I think we can all agree is extremely dangerous. Just because "professionals" utilize a method, does not make it safe.

Oh and those mma fighters? As soon as weigh in is done, they drink enough water & electrolytes to go right back to the previous weight. Guess you missed that part. They also have trainers and medical professionals at their beck and call.

Just because you have a "strong heart" does not make it any less dangerous. When you dehydrate yourself in this fashion, you ARE throwing your electrolytes out of balance. People who are dehydrated can die if not reversed.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread says "for weight loss," not "for bloating." so this is most likely why people are confused and telling you that it's pointless and dangerous to dehydrate yourself.