Fitbit Sync Confusion

Options
I have my Fitbit linked to MFP but I like to add in some workouts like bicycling or strength classes manually. I thought if I entered the correct time of my workout that erased my Fitbit data from that time but it anytime I add a workout I'm really just double dipping. Is there a correct way to add a workout so you aren't gaining exercise calories from both MFP and Fitbit? Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The way the sync is set up, you won't get double credit for a workout (providing you enter correct start time and duration).

I think what might be confusing to you is the Fitbit Adjustment itself. The adjustment isn't just for workout calories. It's a little more complex than that.

MFP estimates how many calories you are going to burn based on the Activity Level you picked. Than when you log exercise it adds to that.
    An example would be:
    I currently have my activity level set at lightly active. MFP says without exercise and based on my stats, I should burn approx 2000 calories per day.
    Any exercise I manually log gets added to that.

Today, Fitbit has tracked me at burning approx 1824 calories to this point in the day (7pm). Fitbit sends this information to MFP.

MFP says well based on how many calories I've burned to this point in the day and the activity level I selected, I will most likely have a Fitbit calorie burn of 2231 by midnight. (this updates throughout the day)
    Because there is a 231 calorie difference between MFP and Fitbit (with fitbit being higher), MFP gives me the 231 calories that are extra in the form of a Fitbit Calorie Adjustment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you manually log exercise (the effect is the same whether you do it here or on Fitbit), Fitbit takes that information to replace what it thought. This changes your total Fitbit Calorie Burn.

edit---video is processing at the moment @ 7:25pm

edit---sorry about the annoying voice and random commentary and random struggle for words
  • jennyk3298
    Options
    Thank you!!! That makes perfect sense and the video helped me a lot. I didn't even know that graph option was there to peek at. Thanks for taking the time to show me! :)