I know you can not spot reduce... BUT...

Options
2»

Replies

• KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    There was en exercise on the Jillian Michaels 30DS that was "said" to work the pooch area of the stomach. You put your legs in the air straight and rolled your butt off the ground and held it for a second and went back to the starting position and repeated... Im not 100% if that was how it totally went but it did help me.... Just my two cents

I'm not familiar with the quote but I do thank you for reminding me of this exercise.

When I had a personal trainer years ago, I think it was called the reverse crunch. Believe me, if you have any weakness in muscles in that lower ab area, you will know lol. Even though "spot reducing" does not really exist, I must say this worked. You know just about everything looks better if you sculpt a bit of muscle under it.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. I'm 5'8" and 125 and really don't think I should lose any more weight. I'm 9 months postpartum from 3rd baby, and the muffin top is a lot better than it was a couple months ago, but I've still got a ways to go. I've been doing an hour of Jillian Michaels 6 days a week, plus hiking twice a week, plus every night crunches, planks, and squats with my stretching. I think it just takes time and those are the stubborn spots!

change to compound lifts...

I know this would definitely help! Gym membership has been on my mind lately- just a few minor details to work out- like how to afford it and find more time :laugh:
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    give some kettlebell swings a go but get someone to teach you proper technique if you don't already have experience with them.

They are amazing.

Also hip thrusts and glute bridges (weighted).

good luck! give it time ... well done on your progress!
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Any kind of resistance training that builds muscle will help, really. I don't doubt that lifting heavy with a barbell is very very efficient, but if you don't have access to a gym or equipment, bodyweight exercises like full proper push ups, planks, pull-ups (if you can install a bar), squats, and a cheap resistance band can do a lot if you've never done them before. Heck, I still can't even do a single unassisted pull-up, so I haven't exhausted the maximum resistance available to me in the pull department.

I've done 7 weeks of P90X now without a single store-bought weight (some 2L milk jugs filled with water for the tri exercises, resistance band and pull up bar for the rest), and although I haven't lost any scale weight, no more muffin top at 5'8"/132lb.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts, HIIT style. Give it a few weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    liposuction-procedure.jpg
  • GlittergirlTrudi
    Options
    Hey hunni, for the lower belly fat, do u mean the bit under ur belly button to ur bikini line?

If u do then my trainor has been getting me to do this exercise cos I have an operation scar there that needs working to lose my bulge.

Lay on the floor flat, lay ur arms out naturally on the floor next to u.

put ur knees up, feet flat on the floor

slowly extend ur right leg out all the way making sure u are keeping low, literally scraping the floor with ur heel the whole way.

Repeat for the left leg

10 times each side.

Then put ur knees and feet together and do the same movement on both legs at once for 10 reps.

I've been doing this for 2 weeks and I absolutely can feel those muscles working

hope this helps :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

If money was no object, I would SO do this.....
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Hey hunni, for the lower belly fat, do u mean the bit under ur belly button to ur bikini line?

If u do then my trainor has been getting me to do this exercise cos I have an operation scar there that needs working to lose my bulge.

slowly extend ur right leg out all the way making sure u are keeping low, literally scraping the floor with ur heel the whole way.

Repeat for the left leg

10 times each side.

Then put ur knees and feet together and do the same movement on both legs at once for 10 reps.

I've been doing this for 2 weeks and I absolutely can feel those muscles working

Glitter, I know you said keep your heels close to the floor when you extend, but what is the foot position? Do you flext yoru fit and point your toes or keep your foot at right angles to you legs with the toes pointing at the ceiling?
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes I do exercise I walk and I do the Brazil Butt Lift which works the hip and ab area pretty well, just not for me I guess. Thanks for the advise it seems I need to start lifting although I did P90X and I still had the same problems at completion.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I wouldn't mind getting more fat from my stomach back into my *kitten*(srs).

I miss having a pillow
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I wouldn't mind getting more fat from my stomach back into my *kitten*(srs).

I miss having a pillow

haha same. Women's stubborn areas at least make it comfy for sitting on hard objects!

Perfect Storm: time to start lifting some heavy stuff! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Repeat for the left leg

10 times each side.

anyone got a translation on this?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Just in case one more person saying it will help convince you...

LIFT HEAVY!

Pretty positive you won't regret it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Repeat for the left leg

10 times each side.

using your core muscles will somehow make the fat dissapear from there :tongue:
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Search for "cat vomit abs" on youtube. I find it helps pull everything in. Every little bit helps?
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This was info I really needed I always wondered what was heavy enough
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am at my goal weight and if I lose any more I will look sickly. However I now have a little upper hip back fat and a little lower belly pooch. I do not know what to do for these areas. There has to be some exercises I can do to help them along. Any Ideas?

Yes, you can not spot reduce but if you're eating in a manner that supports fat loss and your body is willing to drop fat in that area you can help fat mobilization by exercising those specific regions.

RE Upper Hip Back Fat: Honestly compound movements such as the Back Squat and Deadlift will help. Supporting movements such as the Romanian Deadlift and Back Extensions will also hit that region. I like side raises as well.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You might also check to see if you have excessive lordosis of the spine. Being somewhat "swaybacked" increases the perception of both belly pooch and lower back fat.

The biggest advice I can give you there is sit less and squat with good form. Stretch the hip muscles, and maybe throw in some deadlifts of varying types.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Repeat for the left leg

10 times each side.

using your core muscles will somehow make the fat dissapear from there :tongue:

ahhh OK ..based on your translation I call BS on original post...LOL