Am I really losing too quickly?

Options
duddysdad
duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a 6'5, 34 year old male. I started at 337 pounds last Thanksgiving. I lost down to 327 by Christmas. After Christmas I went to my doctor for help losing weight. He put me on Phentermine and a 1000 calorie diet. I really tried, but I just couldn't do 1000 calories. I joined MFP and I set my calorie limit to 1400, however I don't usually hit that number, but I am above 1k. I started my diet on January 1st. I weighed-in today and I am currently at 266. I've lost 61 pounds since January 1st. I am losing around 5 pounds per week. I do not exercise, I don't work, just daily activities including chasing after a 2 year old all day.

I've been told I am losing too quickly by some people, however my doctor is very pleased with my progress and said I am losing as quickly as he would like. He doesn't know I am eating more than 1k calories. I know it's generally accepted to lose around 2 pounds per week max. I believe I am losing safely as I am monitored by my doctor. Should I continue doing what I am doing, or should I try to slow down a bit to please certain people?

I am also off the Phentermine.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yeah- get rid of your doctor. While over 2 lbs CAN be safe for those who are morbidly obese, 5 lbs a week for a prolonged period of time is not good. You are not only losing fat, but muscle as well. Phentermine has a lot of side effects, some of which can be deadly. While it is up to each person if they wish to take that risk, I personally wouldn't. Also- eating so few calories a day makes it hard to get your essential nutrients.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think get a new doctor. Yes, you lose more quickly in the beginning, especially if you have a lot to lose, but 61 pounds in 10 weeks seems pretty extreme to me. So is a doctor advocating only 1000 cal a day for someone of your height!! OMG, I'm a 5'6" female and I eat more than that!!

What does MFP say your calories should be if you let the app set them with a goal of 2lb per week max?
  • duddysdad
    Options
    Unfortunately my insurance says I have to see him. I just edited my post to say I quit taking the Phentermine. I felt like I didn't need it anymore and it wasn't really helping that much anymore.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    What does MFP say your calories should be if you let the app set them with a goal of 2lb per week max?

1700 for 2 pounds.

• elphie754
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    Unfortunately my insurance says I have to see him. I just edited my post to say I quit taking the Phentermine. I felt like I didn't need it anymore and it wasn't really helping that much anymore.

Why? He is your "assigned" pcp?

No imaidan do can force you to see a MD you do not wish to see. Call and request a new pcp. They may ask why- which you can simply say you believe he is giving dangerous advice. After that, they will likely switch you with no questions asked.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a 6'5, 34 year old male. I started at 337 pounds last Thanksgiving. I lost down to 327 by Christmas. After Christmas I went to my doctor for help losing weight. He put me on Phentermine and a 1000 calorie diet. I really tried, but I just couldn't do 1000 calories. I joined MFP and I set my calorie limit to 1400, however I don't usually hit that number, but I am above 1k. I started my diet on January 1st. I weighed-in today and I am currently at 266. I've lost 61 pounds since January 1st. I am losing around 5 pounds per week. I do not exercise, I don't work, just daily activities including chasing after a 2 year old all day.

I've been told I am losing too quickly by some people, however my doctor is very pleased with my progress and said I am losing as quickly as he would like. He doesn't know I am eating more than 1k calories. I know it's generally accepted to lose around 2 pounds per week max. I believe I am losing safely as I am monitored by my doctor. Should I continue doing what I am doing, or should I try to slow down a bit to please certain people?

Doctors aren't nutritionists and can not safely give you expert advice on your nutrition. My personal opinion is that for your height you should be eating twice that much. Eating the right amount will help with fat loss as it's more fuel for fat burning basically. But I'd seriously recommend ditching that doctor and finding a qualified nutritionist.

By comparison, I'm a 32 year old male, 5 ft 5 and about 145 lbs. I'm on a cutting diet and eat 2300 calories a day.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Why? He is your "assigned" pcp?

No imaidan do can force you to see a MD you do not wish to see. Call and request a new pcp. They may ask why- which you can simply say you believe he is giving dangerous advice. After that, they will likely switch you with no questions asked.

^^This. And please increase to 1700 a day. We can give you suggestions if you're finding that hard to reach (basically, calorie-dense foods - nuts, full fat dairy, avocado...). Actually you can eat whatever foods you like so long as they fit within your allotted calories and you are otherwise meeting your nutrition goals (macros - carbs, fat, protein, and micros - vitamins and minerals etc).
  • duddysdad
    Options

I'll see what I can do. I've been wanting to switch anyways.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    And please increase to 1700 a day.

I can go up, it's really not a problem. I just wanted to try to follow his advice, but since you guys think it's not very good advice, I will up my calories to 1700. I don't care about losing slower, it's not a race and I am in no hurry to lose it all this quickly. I figured I was losing too fast and I want to do it safely, not quickly.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Excellent :) Your instincts have served you well!! And you're right, it's not a race, it's a lifestyle change. The best way to have that stick is to do it slowly.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This link is very useful for setting your calorie allowance and optimal macros.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I will be in the minority and say that unless you have reasons to not trust your dr, do not follow the advice of strangers over the advice of the medical professional. There might be a reason he wants you to lose weight this fast. Talk with him, discuss your concerns and what you have been doing , talk about your research. If he gives no explanation, you need a different dr, but he might surprise you. It is nor unheard of morbidly obese patients being on very low calorie diets for short periods under a dr's supervision.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I will be in the minority and say that unless you have reasons to not trust your dr, do not follow the advice of strangers over the advice of the medical professional. There might be a reason he wants you to lose weight this fast. Talk with him, discuss your concerns and what you have been doing , talk about your research. If he gives no explanation, you need a different dr, but he might surprise you. It is nor unheard of morbidly obese patients being on very low calorie diets for short periods under a dr's supervision.

Tis true Very low calorie diet (VLCD) are prescribed and closely monitored by medical professionals, and it is good to seek opinions off of this website concerning weightless, nutrition etc you should not dismiss a professionals opinion who has more relevant facts such as BP, HR, cholesterol, family history etc etc my advice would be to ask the DR the reasons and logic behind your calorie allowance as well as how competent they are with your situation.

Lastly yes as others have pointed out I would seek another MD if you are unhappy with your current one.

Best of luck!

• elphie754
    Options

Yeah.... No. 5 lbs a week for greater than 10 weeks can be really detrimental to ones health. Most health care professionals would not reccomend losing more than 1% of body weight per week. That would amount to about 3lbs a week for him (at first). There is a reason for this. If you lose too quickly, you lose lean body mass as well. You can also do irrepairable damage to ones vital organs.

The fact that he was losing so quickly and the doctor prescribed weight loss medications, screams red flags. Pcps generally have limited knowledge of nutrition, and very archaic ideas about weight loss. Before following this MD "plan" I would get a second opinion. Doctors can be wrong (and unfortunately are wrong more times than they like to admit).
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Time to slowly increase the calories and slow down the weight loss a little. You had a good speedy start, and though I am not an expert, I read a lot, and the general consensus seems to be, slow and steady if you want to lose fat not muscle, and if you want to keep it off. You need time to adjust to healthy eating and exercise. Rapid weight loss is great at the start, it motivates us, but it is not sustainable long term, nor is it healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you successfully lost 10lbs in a month... what's wrong with that? if it was me i would just keep doing what you were doing then.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Tis true Very low calorie diet (VLCD) are prescribed and closely monitored by medical professionals, and it is good to seek opinions off of this website concerning weightless, nutrition etc you should not dismiss a professionals opinion who has more relevant facts such as BP, HR, cholesterol, family history etc etc my advice would be to ask the DR the reasons and logic behind your calorie allowance as well as how competent they are with your situation.

Lastly yes as others have pointed out I would seek another MD if you are unhappy with your current one.

Best of luck!

I would find out if there is a specific reason he has you on a VLCD. Do you suffer from any co-morbitities that would necessitate a rapid loss? Prior to my gastric band I was put on the same diet for a quick loss before surgery. Docs do it all the time.

Don't dump your doc just because others say so without all the information. He may think your obesity is putting your life at risk, therefore, the need for rapid loss. Just get more info from him first.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

1700 for 2 pounds.

1700 gives you the opportunity to get all your protein and your fat. :)
    Also green leafy veggies and such.

There are exercises you can do from home that will help you retain your muscle. Look on youtube.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Larger people can lose weight more quickly than smaller people. 1 to 2 lbs per week are the numbers that are generally put out there for people who aren't under a doctor's care, but it isn't necessarily unsafe to lose faster than that, as long as it is done safely. Your weight loss will slow down eventually.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I see from your profile you also suffer from multiple sclerosis and are on high blood pressure medication. Go back to your dr and get a second medical opinion if needed, but do not rely on internet forums or on what people think about your weight loss. Your circumstances are different than the average poster's and without medical training, none of us can tell you what is the safest plan for you.