Running

Options
Hi all

At the moment I'm doing 5 x 30-45 minutes cardio (with some weight lifting) workouts a week. I'm tempted to swap one or two of my cardio sessions on the cross trainer and try running instead. Though I've heard that it ruins your knees... would 2 x 30 minute runs a week damage them badly?

Thanks

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Running does not ruin your knees. That is a myth.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As the above poster says, running does not damage your knees, link about it below.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/first-time-marathoners-dont-suffer-knee-damage

Having said that, don't come out of the blocks too fast or you'll do some other temporary injury to your leg, build up to faster speeds over several weeks.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks both - glad to hear it's a myth!! Is running good for fat burn? I'm guessing it is.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes Running is awesome for fatburn... Switch it up though. DO some HIIT Running and some Distance.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks both - glad to hear it's a myth!! Is running good for fat burn? I'm guessing it is.

Yes, its a great way to burn some calories, but make sure you are attentive to your CICO as well (hopefully you are since you are on MFP!). Some people find running makes them hungry (some people don't so don't let that detur you from trying it). You hear alot about non calorie counters taking up running to lose weight, and then they end up eating more than they burn and do the opposite. Don't forget about the big picture and fall into the "I went for a run I can eat whatever I want!" mentality.

I picked up running about 2 years ago (never ever having been a runner prior) and really enjoy it. It has been a great exercise to assist with my weight loss, a great motivator to help me keep wanting to shed those pounds, and having fitness goals that I am reaching keep me motivated those weeks when the scale is just being a frusterating stubborn PITA.

~Best wishes on your running adventures!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    What do you recommend for HIIT running in terms of time scales? E.g. do I run for 5 minutes then walk for 5 minutes or a different amount of time?
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend for HIIT running in terms of time scales? E.g. do I run for 5 minutes then walk for 5 minutes or a different amount of time?
    There are a few ways of doing it, but for me I do a 5 minute jogging warm up followed by 2 minutes at full pace then 2 minutes slow jog and repeat that until I'm 5 minutes away from finishing when I drop down to an easy pace. A usual session is between 30-40 minutes for me. I would say if you can run for 5 constant minutes at your fast speed during HIIT then you aren't running fast enough
    :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wait! Don't jump right into running HIIT or intervals of any sort. Spend a *while* getting used to just the motion and impact of running at a comfortable, steady pace. Bouncing into speedwork too quickly is a great way to end up with stress fractures, tendinitis, and other fun overuse injuries.

The key in the beginning is to go slower than you think you have to. (Especially if you're in great cardio shape already from the elliptical, which it sounds like you are.) You need to build up the muscle and tendon strength specific to the running motion the same way you've already done for cardiovascular endurance. :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Running makes you awesome!!! Do it. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend for HIIT running in terms of time scales?

In about 9 months it might be worthwhile, or about 25 miles per week.

For now, concentrate on building running endurance and finding your form. If you try doing sprint intervals before that, you don't get the benefit and you risk injuring yourself.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Wait! Don't jump right into running HIIT or intervals of any sort. Spend a *while* getting used to just the motion and impact of running at a comfortable, steady pace. Bouncing into speedwork too quickly is a great way to end up with stress fractures, tendinitis, and other fun overuse injuries.

The key in the beginning is to go slower than you think you have to. (Especially if you're in great cardio shape already from the elliptical, which it sounds like you are.) You need to build up the muscle and tendon strength specific to the running motion the same way you've already done for cardiovascular endurance. :)

This.

And HIIT is generally no more than 1 minute at very high intensity, about 90% max HR, followed by a short low intensity period. Usually the total workout is less than a half hour. If you are doing it correctly, you should not be able to do longer sessions.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks everyone - will begin with a few 20-30 minute casual runs and build up from there :)