New BMI calculator formula !!

Options
So it's in the news and all. Basically if
Your taller it's good news for you! If you're shorter it's bad news :(. I was SO EXCITED with a starting bmi of 31+. I'm now at 25.2 almost freakin normal but nope now I'm at 26.37 that's right an entire point !! I'm good btw didn't stop me at all, at the same time I felt way to big to be almost in normal weight range! I agree this calculation is much more accurate! For more details look it up in the news

Replies

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link? I am just getting old results with google
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Do you mean this one? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9816596/Interactive-calculator-do-you-win-or-lose-with-the-new-BMI.html

I'm a shorty, and I have a higher BMI on the new one.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Meh, mine is pretty much identical either way. I'm still a bit overweight, I need to lose about 5kg
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow, I lost 1.5 BMI points overnight!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have an increase by 0.1 I will survive :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    2 years old news story and doesn't seem to have been adapted by any official place.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Interesting. I'm 5'11, so my "new" BMI is 7 points lower now (20.6). But my Mom at 61 & 5'4, is now considered overweight. How much truth is in this? I always assumed that when you were older you could afford to weigh more but not by this scale.

I can see it now. The "it's easier because you are taller" thing will become even more popular. Ugh.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hope they're right about it, because according to it, I'm no longer overweight. It moves me down a who 1.9 points from what I was on the old system.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", on the taller side for a woman, and my "new" BMI is lower than my "Standard" BMI - not by much, though! That said, there is this to consider:
    2 years old news story and doesn't seem to have been adapted by any official place.

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Gives me a BMI around 0.8 lower at 5'10" and ups my healthy weight range by 5 1/2 pounds.

Nothing too exciting.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Well, I do think taller people get a raw deal with the current system, so maybe this would be better. But all they've done is adjusted the calculations. They haven't looked at health outcomes.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Gives me a BMI around 0.8 lower at 5'10" and ups my healthy weight range by 5 1/2 pounds.

Nothing too exciting.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    this BMI calculator stinks. Not widely used it seems.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Apparently I can weigh 98lbs and be considered healthy. I would look like death.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    nkeklund wrote: »
    this BMI calculator stinks. Not widely used it seems.

Nothing is ever adopted quickly, but it does seem more consistent with my previous results. What I thought was my ideal weight in the past and my current goal weight is smack dab in the middle the "normal" range with the new calculator, but it was near the top the normal range on the old calculator.
  • Kelly79L
    Kelly79L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At 155lb and 169cm old and new bmi is exactly the same
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Apparently I can weigh 98lbs and be considered healthy. I would look like death.

I was just going to post this. I was still in shock from that bit of news. I realize some people have much smaller frames, but I just can't imagine. I just met my trainer's fiancee this morning. She's my height and she is a tiny tiny thing. She weighs 118.

• kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine has gone up from 24.20 to 24.68 or 24.37 to 24.85 on a bad day.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Only thing this does is put me from right at 25 BMI (overweight) to 24.8 (healthy)

I still have a bit of a 'pooch' to lose, but was already planning to lose ~10 more lbs then start toning a bit with my final weight being right around where I am now... partly because I'm at my goal size, and partly because I like where maintenance would likely be at this weight. I guess this could make me feel a bit better mentally about that? IDK.