anyone doing HIIT?

Options
samanthaElla
samanthaElla Posts: 16 Member
anyone doing HIIT?e to have some advice from those who have lost weight through HIIT or those who are currently trying to lose weight. Thank you

Replies

• LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    No but ive definitely looked into it before! Its something i would love to try!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a great workout. I don't do that exclusively but, love the workout.
  • samanthaElla
    Options
    Euh .. looks like Ive posted in the wrong thread.
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am all for HIIT. Maintains my figure. My weight was 53kg at one stage and now I've managed to keep it 48/49kg...

HIIT is very effective for losing those pounds. I'll sprint on the treadmill for a minute and walk for 30 secs, I do this over 45mins 6 days a week and combine strengthening exercises in my routine. Best results
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I tried HIIT last year for the first time and started losing weight after months of nothing working. I only stopped doing it because I was given temporary access to some workouts and couldn't afford to pay for the service. Then I injured my knee last summer and spent most of my time limping around on a cane. Now, I'm back to doing HIIT (found some DVDs that seem to be a perfect fit for me) and expect to have the same excellent results as before.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it. I found an 8-week program on bodybuilding.com that I'm giving a go. Bump for advice and to see if anyone has other programs they would recommend.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT! It's a nice way to mix things up and build up your endurance. If you are looking for free workouts I highly recommend fitnessblender.com (they have a youtube channel too), lots of HIIT routines
  • ManilaMom
    ManilaMom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing HIIT and use Bodyrock.tv for free workouts.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I love doing HIIT workouts. After months of not seeing any results this helped. I do this a few times a week.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity MAX:30 which i think is a version of HIIT and I really like it. It is pretty hardcore
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I have been doing HIIT for over a year now and have seen my best losses with it. I started in the high-end neighborhood of the 240’s and got down to around 220 working without it but then last January after Christmas Vacation I was back up to around 225-230 at which time I started doing HIIT. Since then I have gotten down to 185 although I am at 192 now, although some of that is muscle gain.

I also have my youth soccer team doing a short HIIT routine and they are some of the toughest kids on the field.

I highly recommend doing HIIT but as with any new regiment, check with your Doctor, and introduce it slowly. Maybe for the first few times do just 8-12 body weight exercises with a 20-second on and a 10-second break do four at a time with a one-minute break in between sets. If you find that to easy then you can up it to a 30 on 10 off with a 30-second break doing 16-20 exercises. But go gradual, don’t dive in to fast or you will possible have a negative experience and not want to try it again.

As your endurance and strength increase you can pick harder exercises and add weights, I personally do at least on kettle bell exercise with each set of four exercises.

Also I find it best to write down my exercises so I can quickly reference what I am doing.
    Just Google HIIT or Tabata exercises and you will get more than you can ever imagine.
  • samanthaElla
    Options
    Thank you guys. Ive been So well informed now,thus will continue with my program and see what happens in some weeks or so. Cheers ;)
  • BRB_sardines
    BRB_sardines Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »

I also have my youth soccer team doing a short HIIT routine and they are some of the toughest kids on the field.

I'd like to hear more about this. I'll be coaching youth soccer this season and would like to implement something similar. I have also had great results with HIIT in the past.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I love doing HIIT. My best recommendation is to make sure you go as hard as you can while training. I like to make it a competition with myself every time, every time I do sprints, I try to beat my times from last time. Same with jump roping, try getting more jumps in the same time.

When you first start HIIT, you may be only able to do a few sets before you are done for. As you do it though, you will be able to do it much longer.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    generally do 10 min HIIT sprints after weightlifting; love em
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it. I found an 8-week program on bodybuilding.com that I'm giving a go. Bump for advice and to see if anyone has other programs they would recommend.
    Can you share what your trying?

• tincanonastring
    Options
    After reading about the theory behind HIIT (and the heart rate calucalations), I think I'm overthinking. Is it enough to just go really hard? When I calculate my maximum heart rate and do the calculations to see where I should be during the high-intensity portions, I get a number that's not much higher than my heart rate during my SS runs.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    navyjen wrote: »
    Can you share what your trying?

I'm following this program and just doing sprints with light walking in between.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Many people do interval training, but not true high intensity interval training.

Couple good websites:

NR - Cool website based training tool with timer. 30 day program, but really most recommend using high intensity interval training for only a few weeks at a time, then going back to a steady state cardio or standard interval cardio.

Cody site

and

Train Online - Not specifically HIIT, but I really like this guy's vids and routines.

Always good to check Fitness Blender and other YouTube type sites too.

Favorite article covering SS cardio and HIIT
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well I am just now hearing about hiit, but I plan on trying some videos I found that have hiit as thier description. I know that sentence sounded awkward, but I don't know how to word that since this is all new to me, but I would gladly tell you about my experience and what it is once I finally get started. So far I have heard nothing but good about hiit and I can't wait to see if it will work for me as well.

Good luck.